Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
...Kind of like the Almond farmer the EPA put out of business because the ruts from his tractor filled with rain water. The EPA said that the muddy tire tracks were protected waterways and he was no longer allowed to farm his own land.

The truth is...

Can you link to this? I'm deeply skeptical.

Snoopy49

Established Member
If you are talking about a custom built one off vehicle, you could be right. But I think when it comes to mass produced vehicles there are federal and state laws that apply to the items I listed.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
@Shaker1

The specific event I mentioned was in 2013/14... I have no idea where the original article is. Below is a link to the Washington Examiner that makes a very brief mention of it. Same with the second link from FedStuffs. If you Google "EPA Clean Water Act overreach", you will be shocked at some of the stuff they did. Specifically calling puddles and tire ruts full of standing water being renamed “disturbed wetlands” and regulated. There are hundreds... possibly thousands of cases reported over the last 9 years.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/i...ff-support-for-epa-water-rule/article/2602236

http://www.feedstuffs.com/story-report-confirms-epas-clean-water-act-overreach-45-146903

Last edited:

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
If you are talking about a custom built one off vehicle, you could be right. But I think when it comes to mass produced vehicles there are federal and state laws that apply to the items I listed.

Nope. I used to be a licensed State Safety Inspector. We had a reference guide and there was a lot of references to "if exists"... especially doors, door latches, suspension parts, etc. Lights were among them.

EDIT: Windshield wipers are another one. Not required by law here in VA. But, if they are present, they need to be in proper working order.

Dusten

Established Member
Actually, most of the stuff you listed is not required by law. In most states head lights and tail light are only required for night time driving. During the day, they are not required. Also, in most states, electronic turn signals and brake signal are not required. However, most states require that if they are present, they are functional.

All the rest of the stuff was invented and installed as part of a capitalist economy. If they weren't, how who the government know that it's possible and mandate it?
Pretty similar to Washington except they require them in inclimate weather

Snoopy49

Established Member
We are not talking older vehicles that were manufactured before some of the requirements. In other words, if it didn't come from the factory with side mirrors, they may be exempted. We are talking about newly manufactured cars that are required to meet Federal and State safety standards.

Dusten

Established Member
We are not talking older vehicles that were manufactured before some of the requirements. In other words, if it didn't come from the factory with side mirrors, they may be exempted. We are talking about newly manufactured cars that are required to meet Federal and State safety standards.
The Washington law doesn't reference age...

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Pretty similar to Washington except they require them in inclimate weather

Yes... same here. If you don't have wipers, head lights, tail lights, you can't operate the vehicle during inclement weather or during darkness.

The Washington law doesn't reference age...

Same in VA. Its been a few years, but IIRC the only real exemptions based on age would be classic and antique cars/trucks, that are registered as such, were/are exempt from emissions regs.

Dusten

Established Member
Yes... same here. If you don't have wipers, head lights, tail lights, you can't operate the vehicle during inclement weather or during darkness.

Same in VA. Its been a few years, but IIRC the only real exemptions based on age would be classic and antique cars/trucks, that are registered as such, were/are exempt from emissions regs.
Same here. Emissions, fenders and a few other things.

Dusten

Established Member
Does it mention anything about the original existence of a part. In other words, if the car didn't come with air bags, the law doesn't require you to install air bags.
Airbags yes. Headlights no.
18378764d041f6031488f7f6654bc97d.jpg
d8ea386b89cf8ad4ec916b3c59d65330.jpg

Dusten

Established Member

Wipers are required in wa. Unless older than 1938
87835157ff39cae73de62e098f7aa8d3.jpg

Dusten

Established Member
I stand corrected. Washington requires headlamps. It specifies elsewhere when they have to be on.

1cb0ee85b242513c777d6e0f8a6c0fdc.jpg

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Since it's been awhile I figured I'd take a look at the code of Virginia. It looks like there are a lot of things that were added where manufacturing dates were specified. I guess I've been out of the loop for too long.

Most of the stuff that I saw that was date specific were relating to automobiles manufactured without windshields prior to 1938 as well as some other restrictions with regards to seat belt types and airbags relating to 1996.

I was able to verify that headlights, tail lights, blinkers in windshield wipers are not required unless you're driving in conditions of darkness or reduced visibility of less than a thousand feet due to the conditions other than darkness.

Users who are viewing this thread