Anyone else get SEVERE wheel hop during burnouts at the track?

Power Trip

Established Member
I just cant do good burnouts with this car at the track!! lol. Even with my line lock, and using the waterbox, the car will spin the tires then just bang bang bang bang until i let off the linelock and let the car go forward. Im on 17" BFG DR's with suspension crap in sig. It seems like the bfg's are just to sticky before really getting heated up, that it puts me inbetween having traction, and being able to spin them with ease. FYI - With the F1's it was never a problem.

Ive only done 1st gear burn outs.. Couldnt do 2nd gear ones as my clutch is pretty much dead(ive never done a 2nd gear burnout). You might think the track was really Hot, but it was COLD, like 50 degrees, and there was literally only 4 people there. Prep was pretty good.. I wasnt getting wheel hop on the launchs, just the burnouts. IT worrys me cause it sounds/feels like its kicking the shiit out the IRS.

Any input is appreciated! :beer:

- Aj -

Established Member
I noticed by your list of mods you seem to have stock springs. Have you thought about putting stiffer springs at least in the rear? That should firm things up quite a bit.

03DOHC

Established Member
I never had any wheel hop with ET Street's and had lots with the F1s. Never ran BFG DR's on this car.

Venimus03

Established Member
Do you spin them once in the waterbox then pull out and do a burnout? Maybe your not reving the car up high enough before you do your burnout...

Last edited:

Power Trip

Established Member
Venimus03 said:
Do you spin them once in the waterbox then pull out and do a burnout? Maybe your not reving the car up high enough before you do your burnout...

Ive tried everything.. Spin in the water, pull out and burn em.. Avoid the water.. still hop hop.. Im droping the cluctha round 5k, i dont think thats the issue.

I will have some ET streets for the track next season with a new clutch, so we'll see what happens then.

03DOHC

Established Member
Power Trip said:
You had wheel hop with F1's doing burnouts? or racing....
Both. F1s are the worst tires I've ever had on a car. I now have Nitto 555s, non-DR's, and they are much better. I've never had wheel hop with my ET Streets at the track.

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
Try keeping the R's the same with no varience.
Keep it pegged at the same R's and you should be fine.
I do 2nd gear no line lock and then let off the brake and let them roll out while still spinning.
It just takes practice. Once you get it or find the sweet spot your in.

JP

BoneCrusher

Established Member
Honestly I think you just have to do a second gear burnout. If you do a 5,000 dump and get the RPM's back up to 5,000 quickly I would think you should fine.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Don't even try to do a 1st gear burnout-- it's useless. You need the rear wheels spinning really fast to break traction.

Colder temps, more hop-- just the way it is.

WDW MKR

Established Member
I don't have problems with hop and 1st gear burnouts, and I'm running 315 BFG DRs. I have yet to try a 2nd gear burnout. I'd like to, but I just don't know that the stock clutch is too fond of that.

bender460

Established Member
I would think a low rpm 1st gear burnout could create hop. I've always used 2nd gear even with et streets. I just auto crossed sunday and did first gear burn outs to warm up my 315 nittos had no wheel hop. Also once your rpm's start to drop should be the end of your burnout.

Users who are viewing this thread