Anyone else have a paint defect?

RakMan

Wild Weasel
Established Member
My 2013 Shelby (RCM w/black stripe) arrived at my dealer on Dec 22nd & I picked her up on New Year's Eve when the weather broke. She's sitting in my barn with only 140 miles just waiting to come out of hibernation. As I took off my cover two weeks ago, I noticed what looked like a softball-size patch of dust on the outside roof above the rear passenger seat. I only wish it was something that simple. It's hardly noticable under direct lighting conditions, but it's definitely a paint issue. My dealer said I need to bring it in during the week so the body shop supervisor can take a picture & send it to Ford. It'll probably need to be fixed, but I'm concerned it just won't come out right. Should I be worried about paint matching problems or anything else?:(

jbs$

Established Member
With every thing being new and no weather exposure, you should be ok. Good luck, I had a similar issue with a new car a couple of years ago, after it was fixed the spot no longer existed.

Planeswalker

Established Member
I had a paint issue on my drivers door and was worried about the fix making it worse. Decided to go ahead and have it fixed, they did everything perfectly. I TRIED HARD to find something wrong and couldn't do it.

Collspec2

Established Member
I have 4 specs of dirt in the left qtr and 2 big sand ring marks in the hood. You can't see them outside but in the garage you can. Definitely the worst factory paint job I've ever seen.

Kapy

Established Member
I have 4 specs of dirt in the left qtr and 2 big sand ring marks in the hood. You can't see them outside but in the garage you can. Definitely the worst factory paint job I've ever seen.
With ya my friend. Got plenty of the same on mine. The scary thing is I seem to find them every time I wash the car or throw a coat of wax on the thing.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Only blemishes I fount externally on mine was an air bubble in one of the hood stripes which I fixed with a needle, and paint runs on the upper portion of both my inner foglight recesses. You can't see it unless the car is on a lift and you're looking up at it.

Myfast70

Established Member
I had one small run on the edge of my hood where some other have had the issue. For factory paint I'm actually pretty happy with it. I did spend a couple days reworking the paint to my liking though. It's not perfectly smooth but pretty close. There are no swirls whatsoever in the paint but it took some time to get it that way.

I think I may eventually have a buddy reclear the whole car, color sand it and then I'll be completely satisfied with it.

Snoopy49

Established Member
So far I have only noticed a lot of orange peel. I wonder if it will buff out.

2013 GT500

P3010335_zps04672fac.gif

P3010330_zps8e7dc7f0.gif

Last edited:

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I've got bubbles and small imperfections throughout a lot of my car, plus one crappy spot in the recess of the driver side quarter window.

kcshelby

Established Member
With these mass produced cars, I doubt you will find perfect paint jobs. But it would be nice if they were.

mikejaeggi

Established Member
I've got bubbles and small imperfections throughout a lot of my car, plus one crappy spot in the recess of the driver side quarter window.
same here, I had a clear coat bubble on the bottom corner of the passenger door. I just sanded it off myself and repaired with a touch up brush, I didn't want the dealer to make it worse.

Users who are viewing this thread