Anyone else using Geico Insurance?

MongoCobra

Established Member
If so, did they hit you with a "Performance Surcharge"?

thanks

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
i got a DUI charge from years ago that I'm still paying for. Geico was the only one that would take me. I've been happy with them though.

I don't know what the "performance charge" is. When I told them I was getting the 03 Cobra they just said it's in the same category as the vette and bmw m3... maybe that is the "performance charge" category

:beer:

Gumball

Established Member
Ygo, how long ago was the DUI. If it's been over 5 years it's time for you to shop around. You probably got tossed into some type of risk pool because of it. Generally, a company/agent will not try to get you out unless you bitch about the rate. Even then the may still try to hang the DUI over your head.

One thing to remember, most companies will use conviction dates, NOT the date you got the violation. The clock starts ticking from the date you plead guilty. If they've got you in some type of pool PM me and I'll show you a little trick to try and speed you along to better rates.

Mark

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I had Geico before I bought my Cobra. Their rates were WAY too high when I inquired about adding a Cobra to my stable. I dropped them and went with Progressive.

'03 Cobra (Full Coverage)
'02 Kia Rio (Full Coverage)
'92 Laser (Liability)

Total = $490 every 6 months.

No tickets, no accidents, married, over 40, no teenage drivers....YET!

U.M.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Uncle Meat,

Your rates are extreamly low. Geico was the cheapest I could find. No tickets, dui's or anything like that on my record. Also married, over 25 but under 40, no teenage drivers.

These are the vehicles I have on Geico.

03 Cobra (full coverage - weekend cruiser)
94 Ranger 4x4 4.0 V6 (full coverage)
2000 ZX2 S/R (full coverage)

6 month premium = $1446.

I've been with the for about 4 years now. Maybe its time to start shopping again.

thedutt

Established Member
lets not forget that the insurance rates depend on a lot of factors..
I have a clean record, over 25, under 40, single, no kids and have the following cars with gieco:
03 Vert: Full coverage
94 Altima: Libality (For sale if anyone wants a beater).
I pay around 650/6 months

MongoCobra

Established Member
YGO- if you get a chance to check the last page of your policy see if there is something called a "performance surcharge" under the discounts/surcharges section. I'm paying an extra $400/ every six months now but i'm obviously going to shop around

cobra808

Established Member
I'm with GEICO. After they got the revised rating for the Cobra, my insurance jumped from $600 to $900 for six months.

Time to find another insurer.

ssssnake

Established Member
Originally posted by Uncle Meat
I had Geico before I bought my Cobra. Their rates were WAY too high when I inquired about adding a Cobra to my stable. I dropped them and went with Progressive.

U.M. is right. When Geico called me back with my quote, I about lost it! I think they quoted me something like 300-400 a MONTH! It was probably so high because it is our only car. My husband and I are over 40, no kid drivers, pretty good record. We use Farmers but have used Progressive too.

Joe Panciarello

I've got geico on all my cars for years I'm over 50 with no tickets, my other three cars an 02 GT, 01 Focus, and an 87 5.0 cost $1700 a year, the Cobra cost $2200 by itself, performance surcharge is $350 a year. I know living in New York, is tough, but these prices are crazy. I'm trying for speciality car insurance, hope i get it as the quote was $560 a year. Joe

Gumball

Established Member
Magic, I think you're going to have a tough time with specialty insurance on a new car. Seems like they will only consider it if you've been an existing customer of theirs on a different car. I can write thru Haggerty and they've told me directly that They would only consider a unique 80's car with low mileage and you being the original owner.

One other thing to keep in mind, if you have excellent credit it's time to shop around. I know I have said this before but it bears repeating. We only started considering credit about 3 years ago (we were one of the first to do so). Today it's probably the single most important rating factor we use. We will actually give you a better rate with great credit and an accident, then the other way around.

Unfortunately, I can't write in NY, but if you want to talk I can give you some things to try to help you lower your rate.

vbguy01

Established Member
I had Geico and they were way too expensive. Nearly $1000/6 mo. USAA was even worse. Progressive has the cheapest...$540/6 mo. (Over 25, single, no tix/accidents.)

2003snake

Established Member
Originally posted by MongoCobra
YGO- if you get a chance to check the last page of your policy see if there is something called a "performance surcharge" under the discounts/surcharges section. I'm paying an extra $400/ every six months now but i'm obviously going to shop around

Mine just went up $300/six months

"Auto Performance" (under surcharges)

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
GEICO

I would not insure with Geico...if they PAID ME. Why..

THEY BUY RADAR UNITS...& GIVE THEM...TO POLICE DEPTS. AROUND THE COUNTRY!!!!

No doubt to improve safety....Yah right... F...them. They should be BOYCOTTED by ANY self-respecting racitivist speeder.

OrigTXCobra

Mustang Nut!
Established Member
I have The Hartford Group:

'03 Cobra Vert - full coverage
'03 Expededition Eddie Bauer - full coverage
'87 F250 - Liability

No tickets, no accidents, married, 33, no teenage drivers....

$805 every 6 months - Not bad considering my wife's Expy is almost as much to insure as my Cobra (the Cobra by itelf is $400 every 6 months).

donpablo

Established Member
I had Geico for 7 years and my 94 Cobra was $425.00 for 6 months. Before buying my 03 coupe, I asked Geico what insurance would run....$730 for 6 months! I about fell out of the chair.

I'm 36 with only 1 claim in 7 years, no moving violations.

On a whim I checked with American Express Insurance offered through Costco, yes Costco! Costco gives you additional 7 or 9% discount. My 03 cobra, full coverage with $1000 deductible now costs me about $380 for 6 months!

Check it out Costco members..hell join Costco for the insurance!

DonPablo
in Kosovo

CDCGraphic

Established Member
Geico isn't available here in MA, and USAA had the cheapest rates I could find around here. It's about $3500 a year for 3 cars (1997 Pathfinder, 01 Sentra, and 03 Cobra) with loaded coverage. Expensive, but worth every penny if something happens.

Gumball

Established Member
A word of caution for you on the Amex insurance. They have a notorious reputation in my neck of the woods for having outstanding new business rates. The problem comes when you get a violation or an accident. They will DROP you. No, not raise your rate, drop you!!

It usually works like this. You get an offer from them in the mail. You get a significantly lower price than you had from your prior carrier. You switch and all is well. A year or two later, you get a ticket, and soon after you get a nasty letter telling you you're going to be nonrenewed. You call your old company and they tell you "No problem, your new rate with us will be twice what it was before you left..." OUCH!! When you ask why, they tell you that because it's a new policy they will be checking you records all over again. Soon they will find the same ticket and you are screwed.

I'm not saying they are a bad company. I have never heard of them breaking balls about paying claims or anything like that. It's just that they are merciless about dropping people for minor things.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Magic Maker
Gumball; I got a quote from Grundy for $560 a year, with a 5000 mile limit, if I can get off my butt and take pictures of my cars and garage, I'll send the app. in. Joe [/
QUOTE]
Grundy will not insure the 03 Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread