Anyone ever been to Maldives?

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
i would pick the seychelles over the maldives. used to work with a few guys that all told me the same thing. they said too much muslim (no booze) in maldives for them.

wifey and i did french polynesia. easy to get to from LAX. bora bora, moorea and papeete.
Going to Tahiti in November. Really looking forward to it. What was impression of it?

sae156

Established Member
Going to Tahiti in November. Really looking forward to it. What was impression of it?
it was awesome! are you going to any other islands? we took the ferry to moorea. then flew to bora bora. there are some islands that are much farther away and much smaller.
food was great. a mix of french and island/seafood stuff.

an overwater bungalow is really cool too. glass floor to view fish, etc.

sae156

Established Member
We are lookin at maldives in december...hmm forgot abiut tahiti...gonna check rhat out too
direct flights from LAX on air france and air tahiti nui. and it's only like 5/6 hour flight. there are some farther away islands in tahiti where you can kinda go full on robinson crusoe and have the whole place to yourselves with just a caretaker/chef/host.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Why not? My wife and I go on at least one a year just us. Best thing I've ever prioritized.
I agree, Nick. Even on the off years with a lot of stuff going on (like this year), we're finding time in mid-June to get away from here for a week. I don't think we've had a year go by where we don't get away for at least 1-2 weeks for some relaxes US time.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
it was awesome! are you going to any other islands? we took the ferry to moorea. then flew to bora bora. there are some islands that are much farther away and much smaller.

Yes, we'll actually be on a cruise. Small ship from Windstar. About 300 passengers. Start and end in Papeete. Stops in Morrea, Bora Bora, Fakarava, Rangiroa and a few others. Should be able to get some good diving in.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Yes, we'll actually be on a cruise. Small ship from Windstar. About 300 passengers. Start and end in Papeete. Stops in Morrea, Bora Bora, Fakarava, Rangiroa and a few others. Should be able to get some good diving in.

Dude...pm me details please Sir

sae156

Established Member
very cool! are you eating any meals off the ship? if so, i'll look up a place on bora bora that is still one of our top 5 meals ever. and the wife will love it, it's pretty romantic and not many tables. good brownie points for ya! lol

if you like eating meat, if you happen to see choucroute on the menu, get it. it's like a meat platter that is kinda french/kinda german

there are open air dining food carts at the marina in papeete that are really good too. pull up a cheap plastic chair and chow down

we did some diving in bora bora. and some snorkeling. crystal clear water.

you guys are gonna have a fantastic trip. i'm jealous.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

That's been my dream forever! On Fiji. Bora Bora and Tahiti sound nice, too. I was talking to my wife about maybe fulfilling that life long dream. Have to do a lot of research first. Is Spring usually a good time for those destinations?

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
very cool! are you eating any meals off the ship? if so, i'll look up a place on bora bora that is still one of our top 5 meals ever. and the wife will love it, it's pretty romantic and not many tables. good brownie points for ya! lol

if you like eating meat, if you happen to see choucroute on the menu, get it. it's like a meat platter that is kinda french/kinda german

there are open air dining food carts at the marina in papeete that are really good too. pull up a cheap plastic chair and chow down

we did some diving in bora bora. and some snorkeling. crystal clear water.

you guys are gonna have a fantastic trip. i'm jealous.
Thanks for the info! Will definitely do all of that. Tahiti has been on my list for a very long time.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm flagging this thread for future reference as I continue to research vacations in Bora Bora, Tahiti, Fiji.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
To the OP, just spoke to a dive guide here (Grand Cayman) and she was in Maldives just before COVID. Says the fishing is great. She also mentioned that if you are on a main island with a lot of locals, probably no booze, but if you're at a resort location, not a problem. Book something away from local population.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Any comments on a Tahiti destination? Is Bora Bora preferred over Tahiti? I'm looking at the Intercontinental Tahiti Resort & Spa. Just beginning research on a vacation in 2025 to Tahiti, Bora Bora, or Fiji.

Is the best time to visit in March - May?

sae156

Established Member
Any comments on a Tahiti destination? Is Bora Bora preferred over Tahiti? I'm looking at the Intercontinental Tahiti Resort & Spa. Just beginning research on a vacation in 2025 to Tahiti, Bora Bora, or Fiji.

depends how much time ya got. i'd say at a minimum, tahiti (you have to fly into papeete anyway), moorea (ferry from papeete) and bora bora (fly from papeete). there are outlying islands too if you have time.

fiji (only been thru airport) is it's own destination in my opinion

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member

I'll let you know in November Bob.
We'll be staying at the Intercontinental for 4 nights before the cruise. It's where Windstar books all their passengers, so it's got to be pretty fancy pants.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
depends how much time ya got. i'd say at a minimum, tahiti (you have to fly into papeete anyway), moorea (ferry from papeete) and bora bora (fly from papeete). there are outlying islands too if you have time.

fiji (only been thru airport) is it's own destination in my opinion
I'm planning 10 days, but we'll lose a day both ways, of course, with the air travel.

I'll let you know in November Bob.
We'll be staying at the Intercontinental for 4 nights before the cruise. It's where Windstar books all their passengers, so it's got to be pretty fancy pants.
Thanks Shawn! My next step is to get the trip costs as of today for Fiji, Tahiti (Intercontinental), Kauai (Hawaii), and Turks & Caico. That will help narrow down where we end up going.

I found out that the best time to go to Tahiti or Fiji is May to November (drier and more comfortable, temperature wise).

Users who are viewing this thread