Anyone ever built a shooting range?

Slow04Cobra

ROLL TIDE
Established Member
I'm thinking about building a shooting range on some property I have and was wondering if any of you have ever done anything like this. I own 40 acres of land and 2/3 of it is fenced in pasture land; the other third is a hollow with a small creek running through it. There are neighbors along the road but not to the rear or sides.

I was thinking two different scenarios: 1. build a big berm near the rear of the fenced in area or 2. cutting down some trees near the bottom of the hollow and using nature as a back stop. The only problem with option 2 is that access to the hollow is limited; there is a very old logging road, but it will require a lot of work to be viable.

This is all just off the top of my head, but I though with the many gun enthusiast we have here I would get some good input. Thanks in advance.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'm the Small Arms Instructor(SAMI) for the USS Ardent. When we were stationed in Corpus Christi we use to go out to Starry Range which is nothing more than a BUNCH of berms. This guy made a killing off us Navy types. What are your plans for the range? Business or personal? -Shane

Slow04Cobra

ROLL TIDE
Established Member
I'm the Small Arms Instructor(SAMI) for the USS Ardent. When we were stationed in Corpus Christi we use to go out to Starry Range which is nothing more than a BUNCH of berms. This guy made a killing off us Navy types. What are your plans for the range? Business or personal? -Shane

It would be used just by me and family only. I would only be using hand guns and shotguns there.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Hell if thats all just make a 10 foot berm and be done with it. Should be simple enough. -Shane

chrisheltra

Established Member
At my parents house we built a 8'w x 4't x 4'd box made of plywood and 4x4's. We filled the box up with sand and stacked a row of railroad ties behind it. It worked great and we never had anything come out of the backside.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
whats a shooting range???

here we just go to the mountians or out to the plains and set up stuff infront of hills and shoot.....

oldmodman

Established Member
I just set up my chrono in front of my fireplace. I have a big box full of phone books in there. It's an easy way to test new loads. No neighbors have ever complained. Probably to "skeered".

If I want to actually go out and shoot I just head out to the desert.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Hell if thats all just make a 10 foot berm and be done with it. Should be simple enough. -Shane

hell yeah!
we used to set up the range on the fantail of the ship, the rounds would go through the target and into the ocean, youknow whati mean lol. killer tomatos are great too lol
i didn't know you were a SAMi shane...:beer:
took GM1 2xs already, ****ing locked up cause those torpedo bastards lol

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
hell yeah!
we used to set up the range on the fantail of the ship, the rounds would go through the target and into the ocean, youknow whati mean lol. killer tomatos are great too lol
i didn't know you were a SAMi shane...:beer:
took GM1 2xs already, ****ing locked up cause those torpedo bastards lol

Speak ENGRISH

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Speak ENGRISH

LoL..he was..just speaking Navy! :beer:

lobra97- Yeah I went through SAMI school when I was still stationed in Texas about 2 years ago. Love it....guns are great! Wish I was a GM1 instead of an MN1. Made board though so many MNC will treat me better if I make it. Gotta gun shoot in 2 days actually and breaking in a newbie who just got back from SAMI school. -Shane

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
LoL..he was..just speaking Navy! :beer:

lobra97- Yeah I went through SAMI school when I was still stationed in Texas about 2 years ago. Love it....guns are great! Wish I was a GM1 instead of an MN1. Made board though so many MNC will treat me better if I make it. Gotta gun shoot in 2 days actually and breaking in a newbie who just got back from SAMI school. -Shane

oh snap Chief eh?
"chief of the beef" is what you should tell em to call you lol :banana:

man i made e1-e5 in like 2.5 years and then our rate got locked up...wtf :shrug:

oilwell1415

Established Member
I built a 50 yd range that shoots into the back of my pond dam. I don't regularly shoot anything but pistol and .22 there. The dam is about 10' tall where I shoot.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
haha. yeah the navy talk. I understood everything he said becuase im former navy. killer tomatoes are ok but smoke floats is where its at

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
haha. yeah the navy talk. I understood everything he said becuase im former navy. killer tomatoes are ok but smoke floats is where its at

Yeah, also unexpendable for training. I have no allowance to expend my smoke floats except for actual man overboard. Guess money is tight!

Last edited:

MachsFastr

Established Member
Since access is limited why not rent a dozer or backhoe for a day, improve access and push up some dirt for a shooting berm?

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
growing up, we'd just set a 2 ft thick block of old growth douglas fir (say 4 ft in diameter) on one end of my grandparents property and shoot into that.. replace it every 10 or so years and it worked great..

99cobradave

Established Member
I have one for handguns. It's an old 3 sided cow barn. I installed 3' x 7' 1/4"
steel sheets on 3 walls, plywood front where I place targets. Works great for all handguns. I also have a 3' x 7' box in my garage which I shoot also. Shhhh. Don't tell the PoPo.

Users who are viewing this thread