anyone ever heard of a Ford Pantera

hmmmidunno

BANNED !!!!!!!!!!
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/547407

only picture i could find of one thats halfway decent but those are badazz cars my dad worked on one there is an italian restraunt in town and the owned had one and my dad put a starter on it then we got to go for a test drive we had it to 175. 351 whinsor or Cleveland motor. 320hp 340lbs torque mid mount engine. very nice fast cars. but they aint cheap. i wish they'd come back out with em. cause they would beat a supra. anyday they only weigh 3200lbs!!!

inteller

Established Member
let me reverse the question....have you ever heard of a Detomaso Pantera?

These were 70's Ferrari killers. Very awesome. one of our local chapter members has one.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Its just a Detomaso Pantera, even though it has a ford motor and a zf transaxle it is still a Detomoso. They were quick but lack of cooling was really limiting on them. Someone made a conversion kit to stuff a 427 in them. Very cool, and the prices seem to keep coming down on them. Only bad thing is that when they need to be "restored" most of the time it is too late.

hmmmidunno

BANNED !!!!!!!!!!
yeh the one my dad worked on had the whindsor in it and it has alot of Ford stuff in it like the drive train on it and engine is all ford. the pantera was a "joint venture" between the two companies like that of mercury and mercedes in the 80's they came out with the Merkur.

BittenInBama

Established Member
Remember the one on the cover of Motor Trend in about 84? Black with a hot babe in a black dress and a black panther on a leash? Pantera had wheel flares, large wing and front airdam. Think it was a GT5 or something..? Very Very nice.

gt5s422kbgg.jpg

Last edited:

drod

Established Member
Ford Owned Detomaso in the 70's. The company whent belly up and some rich american bought the name in the 80's Some cars were made in the 80's under the detomaso name. Ford sold them under the Mercury name and dealers. Car was fast as hell. Some came equiped with 427 and 428's.

Last edited:

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
Originally posted by 99cobrablack
also, Ive never even heard of a windsor powered Pantera.
i think they were 351 cid if i am not mistaken:shrug:

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
Well, it's like a panoz is now -
Panoz uses ford drivetrain and engine
The Detomaso used a ford engine and drivetrain, too
Same with shelby, the shelby cobra had ford power, but it was still a shelby

rezcobra

Established Member
Yeah they were 351s but the Aussie Cleveland blocks. You could get one for 17 Gs back in the early seventies, but 17 Gs then is like 60 or more today. If you find one with the Windsor block someone did a transplant cuz I think they were all equiped with the Boss 351. At the time the Windsor had no performance parts and was more or less a family car engine or put in the lower performance Mustangs etc,.

Last edited:

Typhoon

Established Member
yeah, i have pics of a black one my dad was going to pick up a few years back.

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
Originally posted by BittenInBama
Remember the one on the cover of Motor Trend in about 84? Black with a hot babe in a black dress and a black panther on a leash?

Forget the car! Where is the Hot Babe????

BenBrausen

Established Member
One of my friend's fathers has a Detomaso Pantera. Still has less then 10k on it. Puts 150 miles on it a year, if that. Washes and waxes it all the time. Beautiful silver. I thought there were all Cleveland powered? 70mph in 1st gear is always fun. I was ridin' with him on the highway when a flock of ducks thought it would be cool to fly across the highway. We hit one (took off one of the windsheild wipers) and it flew directly up. Must of went 100ft up cause it took forever before we saw it drop in the rear view. Heh... :D

shaved99gt

Established Member
what do they run in the 1/4 some one told me once his friend had one and it ran high 11's and they kicked him off the track b/c of no cage so they only got one run

Users who are viewing this thread