Anyone go from a Turbonetics T76 to a precision 76?

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
I just blew the seal on my T76. I was throwing around the idea of just replacing it with a precision and selling the turbonetics after I have it rebuilt. What power gains should I expect? Spool time? My t76 hits its peak tq at 3,700 rpms now. I'm pretty happy with it. I don't want to drop a ton more money if the benefits arent that great.

Last edited:

badsube

Rescue Chief
Established Member
Mike, how many miles did you have on it? I know it wasn't alot and I know you probably weren't running crazy boost through it, so are you surprised it went south? How did you realize you blew the seal? I'm curious because I have the same turbo. I have about 3300 miles on mine and I know I'd be pretty pissed if mine went at such low miles running only about 13-15 pounds.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
I got about 3,500 miles on it running it at 12-16 PSI. I first noticed some smoke from the tailpipes after driving and coming to a stop the other day. Never had any at start up. I put a catch can on and decided to put some miles on it before bringing it down to OC. I started to spew smoke (oil smoke) all the time and dind't get over 4-5 PSI. I have a bunch of oil in my down pipe past the turbo. Funny thing is all my import friends told me it was the seal going in the turbo as soon as I explained the smoke only after coming to a stop. I just ran into some bad luck.

Last edited:

03CobraJet

Established Member
Procharger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

geeteego

What???
Established Member
I went from a TC76 to a PT76GTS and ended up with 300rpm faster spooling, and about 30rwhp more under the curve. Peak whp increased by about 40.

This is on a 6-liter LS-based remote mount, FWIW.

I like the CBB turbos.

Greg@RET

Established Member
You will pick up about 100 rwhp more with the Precision. It does spool later but I really dont know the exact rpm's.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I went from a Turbonetics T76 .81 housing to a Precision 76GTSH .81 housing. Spool comes on a few hundred RPMs quicker. I havent dynoed it yet so its hard to say if there are any power gains. i would assume 30-40rwhp. The precision also makes more max power if you are really looking to push it

TRBO VNM

Procharger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member

I hope that was a joke

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
What causes the seal to go bad so soon? Seems like low miles for a turbo to take a dive. Hope you get it up and running soon!

FATPAUL

To The Bat-Mobile!
Established Member
^Could have just been a bad turbo i mean hes not running crazy boost levels, maybe a heavy, heavy foot and thats it. I had it happen to a buddy not even 1500 miles after he installed it. Luck of the draw. Just replace it with another one:shrug:. Its a bad ass setup?IMO

Im laughing at procharger idea as well.:banana:

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
^Could have just been a bad turbo i mean hes not running crazy boost levels, maybe a heavy, heavy foot and thats it. I had it happen to a buddy not even 1500 miles after he installed it. Luck of the draw. Just replace it with another one:shrug:. Its a bad ass setup?IMO

Im laughing at procharger idea as well.:banana:

Yea this turbo hasn't seen any abuse....only thing I can think of is I didn't let the turbo cool down before shutting it off a couple times.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
can anyone confirm if this is the turbo i'm looking for:
PT 76GTS 1150hp TC-1019

I found it on clearance for under $1,200

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
Is there any way you can get a precision turbo thats polished? The satin turbo just looks kind of out of place to me with all the polished hellion piping....

20boxer

i say...sell the car...to that nice kid that works for you. matter of fact. trade cars with him. i hear he's got a real fast subaru.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
can anyone confirm if this is the turbo i'm looking for:
PT 76GTS 1150hp TC-1019

I found it on clearance for under $1,200

yes. If you cant get it. I can get one for you

Is there any way you can get a precision turbo thats polished? The satin turbo just looks kind of out of place to me with all the polished hellion piping....

Yes you can polish it or have it powdercoated

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
Turbo seals can go bad prematurely if there is too much oil pressure either by them not draining well or there isnt a restrictor and it is getting like 60 psi of oil pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread