Anyone go from a Turbonetics T76 to a precision 76?

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
Want some advice? Check into the new borg warner turbos with the extended fins. Thier awesome, work, and work well.

I've always used precision stuff and these have definately caught my eye

Quick example, local RSX Type S turbo, Had a Precision and changed and went with a Borg Warner S256. Precision 32-76 .63 to the S256 .55 SS ETT turbo. Picked up about 200rpm of spool and made 40+ HP up top. This was on the SAME boost (10PSI) same everything else, only change was the turbo and some tuning for the increased air flow

398Compare.jpg

Last edited:

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
Want some advice? Check into the new borg warner turbos with the extended fins. Thier awesome, work, and work well.

Quick example, local RSX Type S turbo, Had a Precision and changed and went with a Borg Warner S256. Precision 32-76 .63 to the S256 .55 SS ETT turbo. Picked up about 200rpm of spool and made 40+ HP up top. This was on the SAME boost (10PSI) same everything else, only change was the turbo and some tuning for the increased air flow

398Compare.jpg

Nice! I all ready ordered my 76GTS but I'll look into these.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member

398Compare.jpg

The quicker spool time can be attributed to the smaller exhaust housing he stepped down to as well. May not be the turbo itself.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
The quicker spool time can be attributed to the smaller exhaust housing he stepped down to as well. May not be the turbo itself.

Got a question. Do you happen to know the ar on the stock 76 bb Hellion kit? Did they give a choice? I thought they were all .81

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member

Look up Cobra Wolverine 's post about him switching from his GT42-76 with a 1.10 back side to a S300 with a 1.25 backside and picking up spool and 150ish rwhp

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
so by going with a .81 T76, instead of the standard .96, i know it it would help with spool. would it cause any loss at top end though, like torque dropping off? just gathering info...thanks.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
so by going with a .81 T76, instead of the standard .96, i know it it would help with spool. would it cause any loss at top end though, like torque dropping off? just gathering info...thanks.

I believe you should lose a little up top......I'll probably never push it that high. I see some of these graphs from Hellion 76 owners and most of them don't spool up till around 4,200-4,300. I'll take the quicker spool up on the street since that were this car will spend most of it's time.

Last edited:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member

You probably wont see any power loss up top until about 850-900rwhp with the .81 on the precision.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Turbo seals can go bad prematurely if there is too much oil pressure either by them not draining well or there isnt a restrictor and it is getting like 60 psi of oil pressure.
Well, at least with the journal bearing Precision turbos, Precision told me that unless the oil pressure exceeds 90 PSI when warm, DON'T use restrictors. They said they see too many turbos back because of restrictors. BB would obviously be different since they aren't cooled by the oil. A turbo lasting less than 3K miles is weak and something obviously is wrong whether you hammer the car or not. Look at the OEM turbos. They last much longer than that and should. So either that turbo was defective, those turbos aren't built well, or something isn't set up correctly.

Edit: They also said if the oil pressure does exceed 90 PSI when warm to use a smaller feed line--not a restrictor.

Last edited:

Woodys2000

Run 9's or STFU
Established Member
I think I am having the same issues with my turbo. I noticed smoke from my tail pipes and would like to know how do I check to know if this is the issue? How much does it take to fix it?

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Another thing to check is to make sure you have the drain line routed correctly. If you do not have a straight shot to the pan this can cause the oil to backup in the turbo and smoke.

TRBO VNM

Well, at least with the journal bearing Precision turbos, Precision told me that unless the oil pressure exceeds 90 PSI when warm, DON'T use restrictors. They said they see too many turbos back because of restrictors. BB would obviously be different since they aren't cooled by the oil. A turbo lasting less than 3K miles is weak and something obviously is wrong whether you hammer the car or not. Look at the OEM turbos. They last much longer than that and should. So either that turbo was defective, those turbos aren't built well, or something isn't set up correctly.

Edit: They also said if the oil pressure does exceed 90 PSI when warm to use a smaller feed line--not a restrictor.

I can tell you the setup is correct and it wasn't seeing that high of oil pressure when warmed up. maybe defective or the car sitting for a long time from prior owner did something, if that is the case. who knows now.

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
I believe you should lose a little up top......I'll probably never push it that high. I see some of these graphs from Hellion 76 owners and most of them don't spool up till around 4,200-4,300. I'll take the quicker spool up on the street since that were this car will spend most of it's time.
yea, i'd definitely take quicker spool too.

You probably wont see any power loss up top until about 850-900rwhp with the .81 on the precision.
oh, well that's not bad at all then.

thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread