Anyone go from LS1 F-body to Terminator or vice versa?

ZeroFear

Banned
I have a 1999 Z28 M6 hardtop with just basic mods ( lid, TB, and Shifter ). Runs 12.90s. I was thinking of switching to a stock 03 or 04 Cobra. I am trying to find one at a dealership to test drive so I can get a feel but having no luck.

Anyone here go from F-body to Cobra or Cobra to F-body and want to share what they like / dislike about the two cars? Is the terminator much faster than the LS1 Z28? My Z dynoed 318RWHP/326RWTQ and is 3400lbs. What does a stock Cobra average and are they much heavier?? Do they handle/break about the same or alot better?

I know some people are going to say "omg just drive one" but you can't really go more than the speed limit / abuse the car on a test drive.

SugeMike

Established Member
I went from a 95 T/A to an 04 Cobra and there's no comparison. But also, it was only an LT1 with basically everything bolt-on and suspension wise you can do except heads and a cam. Hell if I would have known about Cobra's when I got my T/A, i would have gotten the Cobra instead in a heartbeat!

-Mike

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
I didn't just go from one, but I did have a 02 ls1 camaro that I sold a couple years ago. As far as power is concerned after I put intake (kn fipk) and slp cat back, I would say it feels maybe just a little bit slower then a completly bone stock cobra. Probably be more but they do have a 300 pound+ weight advantage. The handling and braking is way better in the cobra and has a much better over all feel. I also really like the IRS so far, my camaro wheel hopped really bad and got upset over small bumps.
I never fell in love with the camaro , I did like ls1 which is a good engine , that was about it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Not an LS1, but I went from a 1994 Callaway Camaro (LT1) to the Terminator. I liked the Cobra better. :)

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
I have to say though you can't really compare a lt1 to a LS1 dispite some what similar horsepower ratings from the factory the LS1 it a totally differant animal.

mattmoto441

Ridin Dirty #001
Established Member
My G/F had a 02 SS and i drove it all the time and when i got my cobra i was like meehhh SS = weak

and i proverd that to myself when racing all the fast modded LS1 here and kicking there butts stock

r6bullet

Established Member
I had a 96 T/A that I sold to get my cobra. My T/A had a new 355 LT1 in it with a cam and full boltons. Dynoed 335hp and 345TQ, six speed car with 4.10 rear gears. I also had some suspension mods, the T/A would out handle my cobra and felt faster stop light to stop light. I loved driving it and with the LT1 torque and 4.10 gears I was tons of fun to drive, the Cobra is just a differant car for the most part. Seating position is higher (seats are very nice), I can actully see the hood on the cobra instead of a huge dash. Cobra has a lot more drivetrain slop and is very annoying, you hear a nice "clunk" everytime you shift or left off the throttle quickly. I did see some play in my diff bushings though so new ones should take car of most of that. And you can't forget the power, my LT1 car ran good and could take down slightly modded LS1 cars but when you put the throttle down on the cobra it is amazing to me everytime. This car would eat my T/A alive and it is mostly stock, I just installed a JLT cold air intake tonight (very nice, blower whine much louder). I am sure I am forgetting some stuff but if you have any more questions let us know.

grey trmn8r

Established Member
Had a 98ws6 with lid and catback. I dont like the quality of the chassis mainly the interior. I do like the ls1 motor but it does not equal to the Cobra IMO.

jcurtin

Established Member
I have owned fbodies for 6+ years, both ls1 cars. Have been all around ls1 cars with friends, raced tons and tons of them blahblah, most people consider me an "ls1 guy".......I'm buying a cobra next year lol. I just want something different.

2 SLOW

Keepin' it real
Established Member
I had a 2002 SS and 1999 Formula before my Cobra...I upgraded because I liked the Cobras more when they came out in 03

yellow03vert

Established Member
I had a 2001 SS before I got my cobra and I think the Cobra brakes and handles better imo. I will say the cobra is faster also, but not as much as people think stock for stock, with that being said once you do minor bolt ons to the cobra (Intake,cat back,pulley and tune) the cobra is in a different class all the way around.

BlueSS

98 Camaro SS H/C/I, Sold It To My Budding For The Cobra :beer:
Tropicare2.jpg

Tropicare.jpg

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I owned a 344rwhp(NA)/470rwhp(juice) 1996 LT1 and my 03 Cobra at the same time. The Camaro FELT heavier because of the severe lack of torque (the Z had 3.73 gears in it as well). The ONLY thing I liked better about the Z was the thumping cam at idle through open cutouts, EVERYTHING else falls WAY short.

Yes, the Z would be faster at the strip on the juice (the Cobra is at 445rwhp), but you can't drive around on the sauce all day long. Another HUGE factor, was the damn Camaro couldn't drive around "all day long" at all. Something was breaking on it everytime I looked at it funny. I've since sold it, and will never own another one. There's no comparison between the two cars. The Cobra will always be in my garage.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Obviously when comparing torque the Cobra feels amazing compared to my Z28... no comparison. With same money in bolt-ons the Cobra wins by a landslide. However a lot of people may downplay all the little issues the Cobra has that have to be dealt with and it's a long list, do some research. The only problems I remember with my Z is that the trunk hatch would vibrate violently with the windows down at certain speeds and the motor (LT1) leaked a little oil.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread