anyone had their engine oil analyzed?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
seriously?

Are you going to troll every thread you can find?

The question is a legitimate one. Though I wouldn't call it necessary to do so, having your oil analyzed can give you a lot of great insight into the health of your engine.

It can also help you determine if you need to increase or decrease your service intervals for your particular driving style.

Food for thaught, the FAA mandates oil analysis on piston driven aircraft at specific intervals. This agency has recognized the data set as valuable. So the question is, why wouldn't you seriously consider this?

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
I think that it would be hard to read the first oil change considering the break-in additive that Ford adds. Don't know how it would affect the analysis.

thezfunk

Established Member
I did oil analysis on my Speed3 from the first oil change. It is so invaluable. Did my engine break in properly? Oil analysis will tell you. Is it still breaking in? Oil analysis will tell you. Can I really go 10k miles between changes? Oil analysis will tell you. Am I killing my motor with too much boost. Oil analysis will tell you. It will tell you if you are running lean or rich...etc.

It's like having a little man living inside your engine who tells you exactly what is happening in there. Once you get that data you'll wonder how you lived without it.

kingnut

Established Member

The question is a legitimate one. Though I wouldn't call it necessary to do so, having your oil analyzed can give you a lot of great insight into the health of your engine.

It can also help you determine if you need to increase or decrease your service intervals for your particular driving style.

Food for thaught, the FAA mandates oil analysis on piston driven aircraft at specific intervals. This agency has recognized the data set as valuable. So the question is, why wouldn't you seriously consider this?

:beer:

I think that it would be hard to read the first oil change considering the break-in additive that Ford adds. Don't know how it would affect the analysis.

it would let you know if ford is putting cheap oil in to begin with. also what additives they are putting in the factory oil. very helpful information for only $25.

I did oil analysis on my Speed3 from the first oil change. It is so invaluable. Did my engine break in properly? Oil analysis will tell you. Is it still breaking in? Oil analysis will tell you. Can I really go 10k miles between changes? Oil analysis will tell you. Am I killing my motor with too much boost. Oil analysis will tell you. It will tell you if you are running lean or rich...etc.

It's like having a little man living inside your engine who tells you exactly what is happening in there. Once you get that data you'll wonder how you lived without it.

:rockon:

We'll be doing it on the SVTP GT.

how many miles you guys gonna put on it before you do sid?

thanks for the link dude. :pop:

just food for though, but for $25 you really cant beat what an oil analysis will tell you. ive never had one done but i will when i pick up my new 5.0. if you read up on the information that is given to you. it can tell you alot about your motor and if the oil your using is any good.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
One of the posters from the link I provided seemed to indicate he caught a failing rod bearing due to an analysis. Probably saved him several thousand dollars!

I remember working for my father's aircraft repair station years ago growing up. Any time we did an annual on a piston driven aircraft we sent oil in for analysis. Most the time everything was run of the mill, but we certainly caught some failing engines before they did (likely in flight).

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
My father used to work for Dryden Oil Co. quite a few years back. They always did oil analysis on all of their fleet cars and trucks.

He showed me the differences in the report when the oil was changed at 3,000 to 4,000 to 5,000 miles. It made me a believer in changing my oil at 3,000 miles.

kingnut

Established Member
My father used to work for Dryden Oil Co. quite a few years back. They always did oil analysis on all of their fleet cars and trucks.

He showed me the differences in the report when the oil was changed at 3,000 to 4,000 to 5,000 miles. It made me a believer in changing my oil at 3,000 miles.

ofcourse, fleet cars usually get beat on pretty heavy also. but im with you on 3k oil changes. i do it myself so its cheap enough.

ALLANGT

Established Member

Every time we do Check 1 or Check 2 on a Williams FJ-44-3A the oil filter has to be sent out for a SOAP sample.
Of course it would also be nice to have a chip collector on the side of one of our engines:-D

Users who are viewing this thread