Anyone has a Racing SIM set up?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's perfect. A seat shouldn't be too hard unless it only accepts certain seats? Do these seats only work on these rigs and as office chairs or do they use the same design as what goes into a car? I would assume the design would be interchangeable.

You can make just about anything work. I have my Racetech seat that I took out of my Viper as mine. You can use an old road car seat as long as you mount the bracket. The aluminum frame sim rigs are awesome because everything is customizable and versatile.

1000006514-jpg.1808032

bird_dog0347

Established Member
Just put my order in for the Fanatec Gran Turismo DD Pro 8nm. GT is the only game I race on and it seemed like a good beginner setup at a decent price so I'm going to start with that. I like to think I've become a pretty solid driver on controller so I want to try something more engaging that I feel like I can build from. Now I need help with a decent cockpit and base and all that so I can mount everything. Something not outrageously expensive but I would pay $200-300 if it is highly recommended. I'll comb back through this thread but anyone have any suggestions? PS5 in case it wasn't obvious.
I built mine out of PVC and MDF for cheap and a seat I bought off craigslist... as long as you won't get in trouble at the house for having one, it's a good option. I got the plans for it off www.gtplanet.net forum back in like 2007 I think.

Attachments

• IMG_3589.JPG
    IMG_3589.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 42

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I built mine out of PVC and MDF for cheap and a seat I bought off craigslist... as long as you won't get in trouble at the house for having one, it's a good option. I got the plans for it off www.gtplanet.net forum back in like 2007 I think.

I believe the issue is these stronger force feedback wheels will wreak havoc if the base isn't extremely sturdy

jessie_sanders

Established Member
I bought prints from ricmotech to buid a rig. Don't know who I thought I was kidding. If someone wanted them I'd be happy to send them out.

Sent from my motorola razr plus 2023 using Tapatalk

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I bought prints from ricmotech to buid a rig. Don't know who I thought I was kidding. If someone wanted them I'd be happy to send them out.

That was me... I got them... looked at them... laughed... then ordered one, and paid one of my buddies to put it together.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
A guy I worked with got a Logitech for his Xbox and I used it and had a lot of fun, but it left me wondering what the DD wheels are like so I have been planning to buy one for a long time. Considering pro drivers use them with sim games to practice and stay fresh I assume there has to be something to the formula.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A guy I worked with got a Logitech for his Xbox and I used it and had a lot of fun, but it left me wondering what the DD wheels are like so I have been planning to buy one for a long time. Considering pro drivers use them with sim games to practice and stay fresh I assume there has to be something to the formula.

For sure. Feel free to stop by sometime

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
For sure. Feel free to stop by sometime

Sounds good! I'm looking for my next vehicle, but trying to figure out what I want/need so maybe I'll leave with a car as well.

Since you do race your Viper, do you see a noticeable correlation between the sim and real driving? Curious where the major advantage is at, whether it is in track knowledge or in vehicle dynamics, etc. Is it really a valuable tool for real racing?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sounds good! I'm looking for my next vehicle, but trying to figure out what I want/need so maybe I'll leave with a car as well.

Since you do race your Viper, do you see a noticeable correlation between the sim and real driving? Curious where the major advantage is at, whether it is in track knowledge or in vehicle dynamics, etc. Is it really a valuable tool for real racing?

Both. It's an incredible tool that helps to quickly learn a track. Especially the tracks that have been laser scanned.

As far as the cars go... their base setups are pretty good. But the adjustments are endless. I have the Viper on the game handling VERY similar to mine in real life. I'm typically 2-3 seconds faster on the SIM than I real life... that's the "reset factor". If you wreck you can reset for free on the SIM. haha

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Both. It's an incredible tool that helps to quickly learn a track. Especially the tracks that have been laser scanned.

As far as the cars go... their base setups are pretty good. But the adjustments are endless. I have the Viper on the game handling VERY similar to mine in real life. I'm typically 2-3 seconds faster on the SIM than I real life... that's the "reset factor". If you wreck you can reset for free on the SIM. haha
I've always wondered that when racing in Forza. I mainly use the GT350R and Cobra R and wonder what they would actually feel like to drive down the road.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've always wondered that when racing in Forza. I mainly use the GT350R and Cobra R and wonder what they would actually feel like to drive down the road.

Forward isn't the best example... it's not terrible though.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Forward isn't the best example... it's not terrible though.
I wish I could move to VR racing on PC but that's like a $4K investment at minimum. Thinking about trying assesto corsa. Really hoping thrustmaster is going to release a direct drive wheel soon so I won't have to rebuy a shifter and pedals.

Any other console games you'd say are closer to being real?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I wish I could move to VR racing on PC but that's like a $4K investment at minimum. Thinking about trying assesto corsa. Really hoping thrustmaster is going to release a direct drive wheel soon so I won't have to rebuy a shifter and pedals.

Any other console games you'd say are closer to being real?

Forza is the best console game for sure. It's just a lot different than the PC games. Consoles have come a long ways, PCs are just more capable.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
I haven't played the new Forza, but from what I've gathered GT7 and Assetto Corsa are the best for console. The driving dynamics in Forza have always felt too loose for me, like the cars are floaty and just never feel planted. In the videos of game play I have seen of the new Forza it looks to be the same still. I played Assetto for a while when it came out and I firmly believe that game can't be completed without a wheel. I think it is the more realistic of the three, but GT7 is the most popular and offers the best balance.

I follow SuperGT who competes and is considered one of the top pro gamers for sim racing, and is also racing in actual motorsports. He usually races on GT7 and put some time on Forza and said he enjoyed it, but it sounds like it isn't taking racers away from other games, specifically its main rival GT7.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
That one will flex.

For your budget, I'd suggest something like this. You'd still need to source a seat though.

Looking through some of the options on these, is there a preference for the DD front or side mounts? Also it appears to can buy something like this TR80 and build it into the other more expensive models with add ons? Am I reading that right? The main thing though is the preferred mounting for the DD.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Well looking at the Trak Racer set up, the front mount has the DD sitting a bit farther back than the side mount…depending on your monitor placement, maybe that plays a role?
I did notice that on the TR, the same alum profile is used on both front and side mount, which can be good if you’re adding stream decks, button boxes, EPO, etc. Other companies use different mounting methods for their front or side options, so determine what would work best for you as some may limit ability to mount additional items.
My DD is bottom mounted on a steel plate. I’m fine with it, but I guess having a side/front mount would give a touch more leg room and now I have to figure a solution to mount my stream deck to the thick steel plate.
Unless it’s a cheap rig, I can’t imagine there’d be any measurable difference in rigidity between any quality front or side mount…

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Looking through some of the options on these, is there a preference for the DD front or side mounts? Also it appears to can buy something like this TR80 and build it into the other more expensive models with add ons? Am I reading that right? The main thing though is the preferred mounting for the DD.

I bottom mount mine with no issues. Have a buddy that side mounts his. I'm not really sure it matters

Users who are viewing this thread