Anyone Have A Nissan 350Z?

uofipilot

Established Member
I'm looking for a DD. Now that college is over, and I actually have to drive year-round, I'm looking for a car that I can rack up miles on and not really care if it gets a small scratch.

That said, I've been looking for a Mark 4 VW Golf with a turbo diesel and manual trans, under 50k miles. They're harder to find than a sandwich in Ashley Olsen's fridge.

I'm now looking at the 350Z, and they seem to have gotten pretty good reviews. Probably between 03 and 07 would fit my price range. Any pros/cons from owners?

Thanks guys. I'm sick of driving the Cobra in crappy weather.

Last edited:

uofipilot

Established Member
I'm 24 with no tickets/accidents, and the car would most likely go on my parent's insurance policy, so I'm not too worried about insurance. My rates on the Mustang are really reasonable for full coverage.

Thanks for the site though. I'm looking at it now. Lots of info.

Birdys03Cobra

Established Member
I had an 04 g35 coupe....basically the same, but wtih a backseat....loved the car, and insurance wasnt too bad at all, and i was 20 at the time.

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
I hope you don't need backseats!

I had an 06 350Z 6spd...STAY AWAY from 06 models with a 6spd!! In 06 they came out with a motor called a "Rev-Up" which made more power and had and extra 500rpms to redline more than earlier years, but burned oil...BAD - like, 1qt or more every 1,000 miles. Once you lower the car, the handleing will be AMAZING! 07-08 had "HR" or High Rev motors. They respond better to mods. Deff check out my350z.com a lot of great info there.

Oh and I pay more for my 03 Terminator than I did for my 06 Z

Here's mine.
DSC_0108.jpg

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
I hope you don't need backseats!

I had an 06 350Z 6spd...STAY AWAY from 06 models with a 6spd!! In 06 they came out with a motor called a "Rev-Up" which made more power and had and extra 500rpms to redline more than earlier years, but burned oil...BAD - like, 1qt or more every 1,000 miles. Once you lower the car, the handleing will be AMAZING! 07-08 had "HR" or High Rev motors. They respond better to mods. Deff check out my350z.com a lot of great info there.

Oh and I pay more for my 03 Terminator than I did for my 06 Z

Here's mine.
DSC_0108.jpg

hate to ask but did you try any other oils? i switched from mobil 1 to RP and my burning issue went away on my lightning

Tedisky

Need more Money!!!!!
Established Member
I had an 03 350Z. It was a fun car to drive, handles great. As stated before, no backseat. That part got old, and everybody wanted to race it. I would recommend a G35 over a Z especially being a dd.

This was mine right before I sold it.
DSC00927.jpg

uofipilot

Established Member
yep, buy my G35....luckily for you it already has a crack in the bumper

Do you have a link to a F/S page? Boston is a bit far, but it's worth a look.

Once you lower the car, the handleing will be AMAZING! 07-08 had "HR" or High Rev motors. They respond better to mods.

Not really worried about responding to mods. This will be a dd that I *probably* won;t dump a ton into modding. I'm still keeping my cobra, so it will become the "project".

Here's mine.
DSC_0108.jpg

Damn that's a good looking car. Love the wheels.

I had an 03 350Z. It was a fun car to drive, handles great. As stated before, no backseat. That part got old, and everybody wanted to race it. I would recommend a G35 over a Z especially being a dd.

This was mine right before I sold it.
DSC00927.jpg

Also really good looking. I think that's the color I'm gonna look for if I go with a Z.

Thanks for the replies.

Jroc

Established Member
350Z's are slow and overpriced.

If you want a Import I would look at an Evo or something like that before I would a 350Z.

uofipilot

Established Member
Again, not really looking for a fast car. More of a DD that I can still enjoy driving. I'd much rather have the comforts and options/accessories of a Z or G35.

And I dont think 15k for an 04 Z with 40k on it is too bad. A friend of mine had an evo and it was a pile. He ended up selling it because it was literally always in the shop. Yeah it would have absolutly destroyed my cobra, but it never was in running condition.

Jroc

Established Member
Again, not really looking for a fast car. More of a DD that I can still enjoy driving. I'd much rather have the comforts and options/accessories of a Z or G35.

And I dont think 15k for an 04 Z with 40k on it is too bad. A friend of mine had an evo and it was a pile. He ended up selling it because it was literally always in the shop. Yeah it would have absolutly destroyed my cobra, but it never was in running condition.

Sports cars make terrible DD. I do it, but as soon as its paid off I'm getting another DD. Their unpractical, and good for nothing other than looks, and going fast. If you just want a DD how about a truck, or a Fusion or something like that. A fullsized truck is much funner, more comfortable, more reliable, and more refined than a slow sports car, and you can do work and recreation with it.

Everything about a performance vehicle is more expensive to maintain, and keep up with than a practical DD other than gas if you go with a fullsize truck.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Well as mentioned an Evo would be a better DD especially since your from Chicago. If you were to keep the Evo stock or near stock I doubt you would have issues with it. I had an 03 and it was very reliable, only had an issue with the tranny (most Evo's did that year) But I had the rebuilt and all was fine after that. Keep in mind I beat the hell out of my Evo and it was pretty modded.

Last edited:

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I have an 04 G35 coupe as my daily. It's very comfortable, nice looking and very reliable. It's not fast, but it's decent. Insurance is good, and it's got a lot more comforts than the 350Z does.

Mr.Shortround

Established Member
I've got an 03 350z and I wouldn't recommend it as a dd. (especially the early years) There are several issues which aren't a huge problem for a weekend toy that could become very costly to a dd.

1) Tire Feathering. The front tires wear abnormally quickly in the front. I put 3k miles a year on my z so I don't care. If I put 12k a year on it I would be constantly replacing tires.
2) Transmission issues: 3rd and 5th gear synchro's fail around 50-80k miles. Right now I grind into 3rd if I shift below 3k rpm. Since I autocross and weekend toy it, it's not a big deal to me.
3) No space in the back. it can hold 2 golf bags and not much more.

I'd look at the g35.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
z's a great cars. My dad has one and it's alot of fun to drive. However, I don't know why you would buy a rwd sports car for a DD in a snow environment. Maybe consider something a little more practical for winter duty?

highdensity007

Best wifey EVAR!
Established Member
My fiancee wants one but I don't want another sports car unless it has a sunroof (miss the Supra that used to be parked in my garage). 350Z doesn't offer a sunroof. The bright blue color with black rims is awesome on those cars. I don't understand all of the different packages, why one has cruise control and one doesn't, WTF?

Nissan has sold over 50,000 of those things though so finding one shouldn't be a problem for you.

Sirl

Established Member
Well.. not quite a Z, or G, but I had Nissan Sentra, SER Spec V for a few years. It was a 2006. I tracked it several times, it was a great little car. 31mpg even when beating on it. Never, ever left me stranded, and you can find them for well under 10 grand.

6 spd., LSD stock, 175 hp/175 tq makes for a fun drive.

Users who are viewing this thread