Anyone have a roll cage of any kind?!

BruntzySVT

Established Member
4 point, 5, 6 funny, full? Anyone? I just pulled out my back seats and while they are out im thinking of getting a roll cage, mabye a 6 point? Anyone have pics of a cobra with one?

BruntzySVT

Established Member
i think im going with a wolfecraft racing 6 point weld in mild steel, its 200 dollars cheaper then the chormoly and only weights 20lbs more...i think ill keep the money, if anyone cares!

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
MM makes a nice bolt in type, but it's steel and pretty heavy. I found a guy in town to make me a moly one for 1000 bucks installed, with swing outs, which is a killer deal!

Silver 03 Cobra

MM bolt-in NHRA to 10 flat if you weld the rear braces to the main hoop. I had mine welded for $40 at a shop in Mooresville, NC. I didn't like the way MM showed to cut slots in the rear quater panel covers. I used a hole saw and slid the covers over the rear braces before we welded them. It took some massaging but they popped right in place. I removed all the sound deadener including foam and padding, and all the seat belts. The bar isn't too heavy. I put it in by myself. I primered and painted the bar outside the car up to about three inches where the rear braces are welded to the main hoop and then finished painting it off by masking off the interior and shooting over the unpainted areas. I'd rate this job a little more difficult than a header install.

448_p29441.jpg

448_p13196.jpg

448_p13197.jpg

448_p29443.jpg

448_p29444.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Stang2WRX

Established Member
Silver03Snake said:
MM bolt-in NHRA to 10 flat if you weld the rear braces to the main hoop. I had mine welded for $40 at a shop in Mooresville, NC. I didn't like the way MM showed to cut slots in the rear quater panel covers. I used a hole saw and slid the covers over the rear braces before we welded them. It took some massaging but they popped right in place. I removed all the sound deadener including faom and padding, and all the seat belts. The bar isn't too heavy. I put it in by myself.

Beautiful!

More info / pics.

Is that seat delete a DIY mod?
How much did the cage weigh and cost? What exactly got welded? Just the main ring?

-Chris "Kitt"

Silver 03 Cobra

The rear seat delete in made by "The Motor Company" www.partshopper.com on stangnet.com. I think it's the best on the market. Fits like a glove and matches the interior perfectly.

The freight weight on the bar was 80 pounds and that included a pallet, cardboard and a lot of wrapping. I doubt it weighs much over 60 pounds total.

The main hoop is the roll bar. The rear braces that go from the main hoop to the fender have to be welded to the main hoop at the intersection near the roof. You can bolt them in but it wouldn't be NHRA legal. Welding it is no big deal as long as it is a company that welds interiors and not some average welding company. Even with the quarter panel covers slid over the rear braces but not snapped inplace you can roll the bar forward where the weld joint is far enough from the hood liner. It is not that much more effort to go ahead and do it before you bolt it to the floor then you are legal for 10 second runs.

Silver 03 Cobra

Thanks Coleman. If you get one get the swing out bar. I misunderstood the bolt-in bar. I thought they meant you could bolt them in at the track. The bolt-in are permanently mounted. It's too tough climing in over them. I'm going to cut off the socket on the hoop and weld in a channel with a crossdrilled hole. A dude told me that a four point was legal for 10 seconds but in this month's MM&FF Cobra Combat article they said you had to run a six point. I was hoping I could run without the side bars. I need to get the NHRA rules. I run mostly T&T but I want to enter a few FFW's this year. I have a lot to do this spring.

Off topic but I notice you are running a bigger CI engine. I'm going to do a compression test soon. If my engine needs to be rebuilt, I'd like to do a 5.0 displacement. What did you do to get 310 CI's?

Stang2WRX

Established Member
any sites with good cage kits?

I like the chrome ones if they are the same weight or lighter than steel...

... oh, and legal too.

It would be nice if I could get away with a 4 point roll bar (not really a cage), but i dunno what Test and Tune days require.

Last edited:

Stang2WRX

Established Member
4.6 ROLL CAGE

Roll cage mandatory in cars running 10.99 (*6.99) or quicker, or any car exceeding 135 mph (217.2 km/h). Full bodied cars, with unaltered firewall, floor and body (from firewall rearward, wheeltubs permitted), running between 10.00 (*6.40) and 10.99 (*6.99) roll bar permitted in place of roll cage. Cars running between 7.50 (*4.50) and 9.99 (*6.39) must have chassis inspected every three-years by the ASN and have a serialised sticker affixed to cage before participation. Must conform to specs for body style used, as listed in General Regulations 4.11, 10.6.

looks like you can run 10.00 with stock body and just a roll bar...

Silver 03 Cobra

I guess if they are calling the main hoop and the rear braces as a roll bar and don't consider the side bars as part of that configuration. I also need to find out about the backing plates that go on the outside of th body. The one thing I would bitch about MM's bar is the plates that go inside the fender suck. They are rounded like knee pads and aint no way you can bolt them in place. The fenders are planar sections at angles. I have nuts and washers on my rear braces right now. I don't know if that would pass NHRA. I plan to buy some 1/8 stainless and bend it to match the fenders. The only other option is to weld the rear braces to the fenders.

Stang2WRX

Established Member
Silver03Snake said:
I guess if they are calling the main hoop and the rear braces as a roll bar and don't consider the side bars as part of that configuration. I also need to find out about the backing plates that go on the outside of th body. The one thing I would bitch about MM's bar is the plates that go inside the fender suck. They are rounded like knee pads and aint no way you can bolt them in place. The fenders are planar sections at angles. I have nuts and washers on my rear braces right now. I don't know if that would pass NHRA. I plan to buy some 1/8 stainless and bend it to match the fenders. The only other option is to weld the rear braces to the fenders.

I know all the kits have them, but what is the main purpose of the "feet"?

predator

Established Member
Hey Larry! Good to see you back here again! When did you get the Recaros? Nice work on the roll bar. I am at a point where I would like to do one myself. Did you order directly from MM? Just wondering how functional it really is.....or if it just there to fill the NHRA rules?

Silver 03 Cobra

Hey Dave. I think Maximum Motorsports are pretty much known for building race car parts. If you mount it the way they say meaning welding the rear braces to the main hoop, (no big deal) and using the backing plates. If you hit hard enough to break it loose in a crash you're probably dead anyway. You can buy from a distributor but it will not speed up the delivery. I called a few and nobody stocks cages. The bar is sent motor freight. It may come in handy if they would drop it off at a shop if it will save money delivering to a business. I think home delivery was close to an extra $100. I went and picked it up at a freight terminal to save money.

As far as the seats, I bought them from On Track Performance. I had a lot of trouble with them and the owner may see this post and spill off his side. He has done it once before. I'm not backing down and will tell people how I was treated when asked. Their communications is well, non-existent. The first set they sent me had holes in the material, were filthy and it was my personal feeling they were used as demos. None had any paperwork with them. I was told Speed seats didn't have any paperwork yet the new set sent to me had it. The brackets had definantely been on another car. They had bad scratches and you could see the worn places where the bolts had distorted the plastic. I would never buy from them again. I'm sure they have some satisfied customers. You may have good luck with them. Do a search on Yahoo for Recaro and dealers will come up. I got these with the Saturn Naps inserts. They look good but to tell you the truth I would go solid vinyl and save $50/seat. The vinyl looks and feels just like leather. The saturn naps holds you in the seat when you are turning hard though. It is little rubber grippers. The seats really set the interior off. They look better in person. My car gets more looks now than ever due to the bar and the seats. For the money they can not be beat. They are only $100-150 more than the Corbeau CR1's I bought a couple of years ago and there isn't a comparison between the two.

Did you get your Whipple installed and what boost and power are you making. I found a used KB. I was layed off last year and decided to take a few months off. I decided to quit racing until I found a job but I think I'm going to put it on a track in a few days. I need to buy a set of ET Streets for a pair of 03 wheels I have. I'm going to contact a recruiter in a few days and start looking. I don't think it will take too long to find a job but I'd like to head farther south and hopefully close to a drag strip.

acatalon

Established Member
This how my MM roll bar came out, bolted in 25/1540/dscf00830tb.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL][

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread