Anyone have vintage camper knowledge, Silver Streak

96dreamer

Established Member
My parents have a 1976 Silver Streak Continental Supreme Luxury Liner they inherited and are wanting to get rid of. I don't really know a whole lot about it but just wanted to make sure they didn't give the thing away when listing it. Structurally its 100% but I believe it has some inverter issues. The outside has some dents an scrapes and the interior could use refinishing. My dad did a little bit of work to the interior a few years ago but the majority is all original. Aside from the door having a small leak which I read was common on these its 100% water tight. I spent the day pressure washing the entire exterior and didn't find any water leaks afterwards. I'ts a cool old camper that would be awesome to refinish for someone.
df745410ade89d5c249c7c7dfa2d3e4a.jpg
f86cd82d8484327c600de707f51e03e6.jpg
e255d50db57b459d2471f13d8c0e480b.jpg
f29a4937d211a36cc86f0506e0d6eaf4.jpg
8c2daed8957f6e8bba611b69b699d892.jpg

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
That's awesome! It looks at least 32 ft long. The only comps I could compare to is an opportunity I had to buy an Airstream 7 year ago of similar length for $7000. We passed due to the length and mobility of such a beast. Railroad crossings would be a bitch around here!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Here's one for sale for $15K. No idea what price it will ultimately sell for. https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1976-Silver-Streak-SUPREME-LUXURY-LINER-5013738981

Here's some interesting background info on the Silver Streak.

The History Of Silver Streak
From 1946 to 1948, the Curtis Wright Company produced trailer coaches. In 1949, the company sold the design rights to Silver Streak partners Kenny Neptune, James “Pat” Patterson, and Frank Polito. In the 1957, Neptune and Polito bought out their partner Patterson. Patterson then founded the Streamline Trailer Mfg. Co.

This coach is a variation of an early Wally Byam design, (the father of the Airstream), which he came up with while working for Curtis Wright from 1937 through 1947. Just before leaving to re-form the Airstream Company which, he's actually begun in 1931. Byam was a major influence in the design of the 1946-1948 Curtis Wright Clipper. However, in 1949 Curtis Wright sold the rights to the design to three partners by the name of Frank Polito, James Patterson and Kenny Neptune who formed the Silver Streak Trailer Company and, who then simply renamed the coach the Silver Streak Clipper. After reshaping the front and rear Plexiglas windows in 1950, front and rear glass windows that actually opened became an option in late 1953. (In 1957 Pat Patterson left Silver Streak, and along with dealer Harry Lovett, formed the Streamline Trailer Co.)

Silver Streak Trailer Company in El Monte California Originally located at 1166 Chico St. and later moved to 2100 block of Chico St.

Two men, Frank Polito and Kenny Neptune, each of whom had previously worked for McDonald Douglas Corp, founded the Silver Streak Trailer Co. in approximately 1948. The first trailer was delivered in 1949. The factory was in South El Monte, CA. In 1986 another company wanted to buy the land the factory was sitting on. Polito and Neptune sold the land. At the time that Pollito and Neptune sold the land the factory General Manager was Rolf Zushlag. The partners had hired Zushlag from Airstream in 1978. Zushlag made a deal with the two partners for patterns and all machinery. He stayed at the South El Monte site for 12 to 14 months and then found a place in Chino, CA. There were no l987 models manufactured due to the move. Zushlag continued building custom built Silver Streaks until 1997. Both founders are still alive and live in the Los Angeles area. Mr. Zushlag, after closing the factory, is still active in the Los Angeles area in other business activities.

The company came out with the Sterling series trailers in 1985. This trailer had black trim and the gold trimmed trailer was discontinued. Silver Streak never built over 6 trailers per week. There was a national Silver Streak organization from 1968 to 1997. It was officially disbanded at the St. George, UT National rally when only 28 trailers showed up. There is still a Houston area club and they are planning a Regional rally at Burnett, TX between San Antonio and Kerrville this year on May 6, 2000.

According to Mr. Ashby, who has refurbished and sold over 110 Silver Streaks, it is his opinion the Silver Streak is a far better trailer than the Airstream, based on overall construction and a substantially stronger frame. In addition, unlike the Airstream construction, the Silver Streak skin was built right on the trailer frames. All internal structures and appliances were then placed within the shell through the entry.

The vents on the side of the trailers were placed there as “weep” holes. They resulted in condensation inside the trailer in very cold climates. Mr. Ashby recommends caulking them closed. Mr. Ashby has numerous Silver Streak parts including Hadco axles and grease seals and aluminum segments for the front and rear of some models.

No shop manuals or parts manuals were ever developed by the Silver Streak Co. The only manuals that were developed were the Silver Streak Owners Manuals provided with new trailers.

MODELS
  • Clipper 18, 20 and 22ft.
  • Jet 19 ft.
  • Sabre 17 ft.
  • Prince 18 ft. (1969)
  • Sabre 19 ft.
  • SS210 21 ft. (1980-?)
  • Continental Atlas 22 ft. (1968)
  • Sabre 23 ft.
  • Atlas 26 ft.
  • Atlas Twin Continental 27 ft (1970)
  • Rocket 27 ft. (1956)
  • Rocket 28 ft.
  • Continental Supreme 28 ft.
  • Luxury Liner 31 ft. (1957-58?)
  • Continental Supreme 34 ft.
  • Deluxe Atlas

96dreamer

Established Member
I would love to refinish it myself, I think it would be a fun project. The only time we really ever camp though is when I take my Jeep on wheeling trips so this isn't really a good candidate for that.

I'm hoping they can atleast few get a few grand for it. Originally it was supposed to pay for a vacation for the two of them. Unfortunately my dad lost his balance when he was on top of it Sunday and fell about 12 feet straight onto his face. Got a pretty nasty concussion and a few broker bones in his face. He goes in for facial reconstructive surgery next Wednesday. All things concidered he got very lucky. He'll be 60 in December so things could have been a lot worse. So now I'm just hoping to get enough to cover his medical bills and maybe make a few bucks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

SVTXTC

Established Member
I would love to refinish it myself, I think it would be a fun project. The only time we really ever camp though is when I take my Jeep on wheeling trips so this isn't really a good candidate for that.

I'm hoping they can atleast few get a few grand for it. Originally it was supposed to pay for a vacation for the two of them. Unfortunately my dad lost his balance when he was on top of it Sunday and fell about 12 feet straight onto his face. Got a pretty nasty concussion and a few broker bones in his face. He goes in for facial reconstructive surgery next Wednesday. All things concidered he got very lucky. He'll be 60 in December so things could have been a lot worse. So know I'm just hoping to get enough to cover his medical bills and maybe make a few bucks.

I’m interested. PM sent!

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
That’s pretty cool! What are you looking to get out of it and where is it located?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Definitely some value there despite the substantial cost to restore. Do your research, especially similar airstream models.

mammothcar1

Established Member

I'm hoping they can atleast few get a few grand for it. Originally it was supposed to pay for a vacation for the two of them. Unfortunately my dad lost his balance when he was on top of it Sunday and fell about 12 feet straight onto his face. Got a pretty nasty concussion and a few broker bones in his face. He goes in for facial reconstructive surgery next Wednesday. All things concidered he got very lucky. He'll be 60 in December so things could have been a lot worse. So know I'm just hoping to get enough to cover his medical bills and maybe make a few bucks.

Sorry to hear about your dad, hopefully he will have a quick recovery.

They don't make trailers like this anymore, and if the the frame and structure are sound, it will make an excellent project for someone.

Good luck, hope you find a buyer soon, looks like a great find.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Shitter’s full!

Looks solid. Worst case 4-5 grand I would say, this is a good year for camper demand

Users who are viewing this thread