Anyone here ever worked for Target? Executive Team Leader position?

WeakSauz

Established Member
Well, long story short-- I'm finishing up my BSBA in Marketing from East Carolina Universtiy in the next few months.

I attended a career fair 2 weeks ago and had some great conversation with a Target representative. The position that we spoke about was an
Executive Team Leader (Management Training Program).

He seemed very impressed and asked for a copy of my resume. After speeding through it, he then asked me if I'd like to have an interview on 10/14 (tomorrow). I said yes. I figured I'd use it as a fallback if nothing else.

Does anyone here have firsthand expireince with this position and what it entails? Salary? Reccomendations?

Thanks guys.

stangin99

Established Member
My girlfriends sister used to have a similar position within Target.

She enjoyed it as it was her first job out of school. If you want me to ask anything specific let me know.

WeakSauz

Established Member
My girlfriends sister used to have a similar position within Target.

She enjoyed it as it was her first job out of school. If you want me to ask anything specific let me know.

I appreciate that! If you can, ask her how the interview was set up as far as questions go. Were they situational? Or, were they "Tell me about a time when.. ________"
Also, I'd like to know if she could do it all over again, would she?

Thanks a lot man!

ff500

Established Member
My wife is a DM for a large retailer and interviews many candidates for various positions, I can ask her when she gets home what type of questions you may be asked.

WeakSauz

Established Member
My wife is a DM for a large retailer and interviews many candidates for various positions, I can ask her when she gets home what type of questions you may be asked.

Thank you sir! :rolling: If you can, also, ask her what is the MAIN thing she's usually looking for.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I was with Target for 5 years...
-Interview will consist of "tell me a time when..."
-Salary, figure $38k start
-Plan on working minimum 10 hours a day
-You'll be the grunt, as a trainee and will be trained on all positions. Be ready for 4am shifts
-There is a bit of favoritism within the company. More ass you kiss, the faster you advance
-Be ready to get bitched at A LOT by customers, you'll be the first one sent to handle complaints. This includes on the lanes, and service desk.

I'm sure I'll think of more later. Overall it isn't a bad company, and leaps above Walmart (never worked for them, but been a vendor in stores, they treat their employees like crap). I did learn a lot from a couple managers I worked with (I ran the sales floor and logisitcs) that I still use.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I appreciate that! If you can, ask her how the interview was set up as far as questions go. Were they situational? Or, were they "Tell me about a time when.. ________"
Also, I'd like to know if she could do it all over again, would she?

Thanks a lot man!

I interviewed with them as a group leader on the logistics side. It's an EXTREME pain in the ass.

First they conducted two phone interviews. The first to get some background info and such. The second consists of around 10 scenario questions where they asked questions such as "tell me about a time when you streamlined something, or when you had an altercation with another employee, or had an employee that wasn't fulfilling his duties, etc..."

After two phone interviews, you have a face-to-face interview, which then leads to another face-to-face interview, which then leads to a final interview.

I get that it's a big deal as my salary would have been around $65k, but at the same time, there's no need for it to be that drawn out.

Good luck to you and I hope it works out. Just be prepared for a lengthy process.

WeakSauz

Established Member
I was with Target for 5 years...
-Interview will consist of "tell me a time when..."
-Salary, figure $38k start
-Plan on working minimum 10 hours a day
-You'll be the grunt, as a trainee and will be trained on all positions. Be ready for 4am shifts
-There is a bit of favoritism within the company. More ass you kiss, the faster you advance
-Be ready to get bitched at A LOT by customers, you'll be the first one sent to handle complaints. This includes on the lanes, and service desk.

I'm sure I'll think of more later. Overall it isn't a bad company, and leaps above Walmart (never worked for them, but been a vendor in stores, they treat their employees like crap). I did learn a lot from a couple managers I worked with (I ran the sales floor and logisitcs) that I still use.

Thanks for that. Man, that sounds rough. I'm not going to rule it out yet, we are in a crazy economy and I may need this. I'll be honest, some of that doesnt sound very appealing to me though, but I feel fortunate to even have an interview available to me

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
It isn't a super easy job for sure. Difficulty is related to how well the store functions. The better it is managed, the more you will enjoy the job. Most go in with the intentions of becoming a store manager. That length can vary greatly depending on a bunch of factors.

If nothing else, it may look good on a resume while you continue to hunt for something that better suits you.

Oh and should mention, the questions will be 3 part questions.
1. What was the situation
2. What did you do
3. What was the outcome
For the love of all that is holy, don't answer "I don't know".

Mjavant1985

Figgy (Cam) Newton
Established Member
I worked at Target for 2+ years in Asset Protection a few years ago. As most have said the ETL positions aren't easy as since you'll be a new trainee, you'll have to cram all the departments into a few short weeks. Prepare for swing shifts (some starting at 4am, others closing the store down and not leaving til 11:30 or so). Depending on the openings in the particular store is where you'll be placed, ETL-Logisitics is mostly dealing with stock and the truck schedule so there be prepared for early shifts (4am). ETL-Hardlines deals with the all departments minus clothing,jewelry and the like and will mostly making sure product is where is supposed to be along with setting up endcaps and seasonal section and making sure everything is neat. ETL-Softlines is the same as hardlines except its only clothing,jewelry and the like. ETL-Asset Protection is essentially security, doing investigations what is trending that is being stolen whether it be customers or team members. Don't expect it to be like wal-mart here where if you see a kid take a few cd's you can tackle them, Target expects alot of video and human evidence before you can proceed. There are few more ETL's in store but these are the ones you will deal with the most. Hope this helps.

speedsun

Established Member
Sounds like a job where you'll be 3rd in charge of the store?? I worked retail for over 3 years as a manager before joining the military at Boscov's. I dealt with plenty of buyers/coordinators to have an understanding of how a store operates. My advice is don't judge it right off the bat, especially if you have no retail experience. Also keep looking for other jobs as well. I saw it when I was finally done and had joined the military how people that dedicated 20 years of loyalty to a company to close down and be jobless. But if you do decide to stay with the company try to work your way to a corporate position.

And customers aren't that bad, just dumb and full of shit. If they try to return a Christmas tree after Christmas, ****ing man up and tell them no. "The Customer is always right" is bullshit and can suck my nuts.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for that. Man, that sounds rough. I'm not going to rule it out yet, we are in a crazy economy and I may need this. I'll be honest, some of that doesnt sound very appealing to me though, but I feel fortunate to even have an interview available to me

Don't look at that list as being unappealing or rough. Look at it as a potentially valuable learning/training experience. You're tested at many levels and along the way you'll hone your strengths and strengthen your weaknesses. Reminds me of my first supervisor/management job. I was challenged in many ways and every challenge and every victory made me a better manager. A job I once wanted out of desperately became the best job I ever had. I am so thankful for every opportunity that company gave me.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
CobraBob is correct. As I said, some of the things I learn I still use today. I was a bit of a hot head, and all the situations that I had to deal with forced me to control myself more. I now tend to deal with people far better as a result, also creative problem solving.

If you wind up in logistics as your first official position it can be really good or really bad. If you excel in the position, you will move faster up the ladder. I had many managers go in (even as 2nd/3rd position) , only to be eaten alive. One manager quit after 2 weeks. Saw her about a month later working at Starbucks. :lol:

One I worked with did very well, and two years later became a store manager.

WeakSauz

Established Member
Don't look at that list as being unappealing or rough. Look at it as a potentially valuable learning/training experience. You're tested at many levels and along the way you'll hone your strengths and strengthen your weaknesses. Reminds me of my first supervisor/management job. I was challenged in many ways and every challenge and every victory made me a better manager. A job I once wanted out of desperately became the best job I ever had. I am so thankful for every opportunity that company gave me.

Oh I totally agree with you. Everyone has to start somewhere. Some people are so spoiled out of college that they refuse jobs that sound "tough" that would in reality be a great job for them to "harden" them up a little. I've seen friends who also look at salary first, but in reality, salary is among the least important benefits that a job has to offer. It's not about how much $$ you make-- it's about how much you spend and invest.

During college, I've been working at a Baskin Robbins ice cream store. Sounds simple, but it is actually very vigorous and involving. It was a brand new store, we opened in 2008 and we've become the #2 BR store on this coast. I've been a keyholder / employee manager, so basically I make schedules, handle complaints, open/close etc. It's been a huge expirience. Also, I worked at a grocery store for 4 years during High School. So, I know a little bit about the retail and consumer environment. I'm not dead yet, and I've seen some crazy stuff! It's been interesting to say the least. I'm sure Target will be no different.

I'll let you guys know how the interview goes tomorrow!

WeakSauz

Established Member
I'll let you guys know how the interview goes tomorrow!

Well.. Interview is over. It took 50 minutes! Longest interview ever...

You guys were exactly spot on. Five 3 part questions. And a million little pittly questions to go along with it. They well hellacious. Haha But I survived and gave intelligent answers for each scenario and experience I had. It was pretty hardcore.

But yeah.. 50-70hrs a week, weekend work, extreme hours on holidays, etc is the norm, but its ok. I'll be working with 4 other ETLs.

They said they'd contact me soon regarding the job.

ff500

Established Member
Sorry I couldn't get back with any info before your interview, my wife came home later than usual from work.

I've worked in a few targets installing a transformer and a sub panel for their grocery sections in MA, NH and Conn. It was fun! Their electrical rooms are on an upper deck area, we used to have to rig them with a chain fault and strap the crap out of them and then swing them like a pendulum to get to the upper platform. We always had them clear the floor and wall area by the bottom of these stairs in case we lost one, the transformers weighed about 800 lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread