anyone in california running longtubes on their cobra?

crizzut

Established Member
Im living in southern california so we all know how friendly emissions can be:kaboom:. Just wanted to know if anyone is currently running long tubes on their cobra. If so have you smogged the car? has anyone passed? does anyone know people that may be a little "easier" to pass an emissions test? I don't expect anyone to throw out names of places, especially on a public forum, but the longtubes will definately push me over the 600rwhp mark without having to up my octane or run nitrous. thanks in advance.

Greg@RET

Established Member
Emissions wont be a problem, but visual will. You wont have to worry until 2009-2010 :coolman:

crizzut

Established Member
if I can pass the number test, all I need to do is find a place where they either won't do the visual or are pretty laid back and won't care as long as the numbers pass.

baldNittos04

Established Member
crizzut said:
if I can pass the number test, all I need to do is find a place where they either won't do the visual or are pretty laid back and won't care as long as the numbers pass.

goodluck :read:

crizzut

Established Member
I guess it all depends where you go. I know somone with a 95 cobra, supercharged, no cats, and side exhaust. He barely passed but he passed.

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
crizzut,

When you do the smog will it be at a mandated (smog test only station with rollers) or an idle test ?

Will your EGR be hooked up?

Cats or no cats?

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I had LTs with offroad H on my 98GT and had to swap back before the smog check.

With the Bassani mids I think I can pass a visual and a sniffer, but I'm not due on the 03 for awhile longer I think?

The GT500 is getting LT's for sure. Anyone know when I will have to smog an 03/07?

crizzut

Established Member
OCSnk said:
crizzut,

When you do the smog will it be at a mandated (smog test only station with rollers) or an idle test ?

Will your EGR be hooked up?

Cats or no cats?

I would imagine an idle test, my egr should be hooked up as well. and I can't find any catted midpipe that fits longtube headers.

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
crizzut said:
I would imagine an idle test, my egr should be hooked up as well. and I can't find any catted midpipe that fits longtube headers.

They do make high flow cats for your future header application or a muffler shop can weld them in if you need them to actually pass the physical emission test

What you should do is get the headers installed without cats…about one year before you have to smog it….. take to any smog idle test station and just pay for a personal smog test. (not sent to state)

This way you can find out if it passes the actual emission test… while your there shoot the crap with the guy, befriend him and if it passes the emission test suggest to him you would be willing to drop him a $50 if in the future he would forgo the visual.

OR

Do the above and if it passes……when it does come time for the actual idle smog test find a recommended place that has some kool dudes and when you drive up tell the guy you know it will pass emissions but it does have headers and would he forgo the visual for $50 bucks. He either goes for it or not…nothing gained nothing lost….do this till you find a place that goes for it.

The main issue is that you're not some kind of agent for the state, so bring evidence of where you work and get his confidence you're not ………. if it works out….do not f---g tell the world about it!

Note $50 is just a base to start from!

Last edited:

crizzut

Established Member
actually I know of a shop where I can pass visual, and as long as I pass the sniffer, I'm golden. Can't wait to get those LTs on, finally break 600 rwhp.

Hi-Hat

Established Member
crizzut said:
actually I know of a shop where I can pass visual, and as long as I pass the sniffer, I'm golden. Can't wait to get those LTs on, finally break 600 rwhp.

Hey PM me this shop, (just for future reference) Im right down the road from ya.

Enorbit3

Established Member
i got mac longtubes and it came with a C.A.R.B. #...isnt that all u need to pass in cali...as long as there is a california air resources board # excusing that part it should all be good...am i wrong?

Slo65

o harro ^_^
Established Member
Enorbit3 said:
i got mac longtubes and it came with a C.A.R.B. #...isnt that all u need to pass in cali...as long as there is a california air resources board # excusing that part it should all be good...am i wrong?

i'd like to know also, i didnt realize mac longtubes came with a carb #, i still dont think they'd pass visual, but if so, i'm in

baldNittos04

Established Member
If the cats are moved from the stock location, it will not pass the visual...theoretically.

I had qtp LT's and TSP duals on my ss. Just got through swapping back in the stock parts a few weeks ago.

I don't know how these guys are passing without running cats... its not possible

Enorbit3

Established Member
i called mac to see if their LT are 50 state legal...they arent...:cuss:

Users who are viewing this thread