Anyone know anything about MAGNETIC turbochargers?

hollowch

Mr. The Squirrel
Established Member
I thought of it today and came to find the idea was patented back in 2005. Does anyone know if this is a viable potential competitor to the exhaust driven turbo setups of today? Thanks guys, sorry if this has been discussed before

CPRsm

If it's anything like the electronic turbo I saw a little while back, it requires an ungodly amount of electricity to operate.

hollowch

Mr. The Squirrel
Established Member
If it's anything like the electronic turbo I saw a little while back, it requires an ungodly amount of electricity to operate.

Magnets don't run off electricity. If anything, maybe the system required to regulate it would take elec, but it wouldn't be that bad.

CPRsm

Magnets don't run off electricity. If anything, maybe the system required to regulate it would take elec, but it wouldn't be that bad.
I don't understand how magnet turbo would work, I immediately thought of the armature in a motor when you said magnet.

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
Make sure you aren't on your comp near your car or your hard drive will be fresh as new lol...

hollowch

Mr. The Squirrel
Established Member
Make sure you aren't on your comp near your car or your hard drive will be fresh as new lol...

I'll call my company Real Muscle Boost Organization aka "R.a.M.B.O" (Slogan: not for none of those pussy ass computerized cars)... What do you think?

Last edited:

SNCBOOM

Established Member

jesus+facepalm.png

jcthorne

Established Member
Its not a magnetic drive, its a magnetic bearing in the turbo. These are already replacing lubricated bearings in larger industrial turbo expanders. Read a bit at Mafi-Trench Company for some real world usage.

Its only a matter of time for this technology to make its way down to the automotive market. The main limit for spin speed in current small turbos is the bearings. This makes that problem go away, then its only limited to the strength of the blades. Just a bit of info in case anyone is interested.

Gojira

Established Member

It says magnetic turbochargers not magnet turbochargers and magnetism can be created by electricity and electromagnets need electricty. But who knows where they're getting the magnetism from. could be from magnets or electromagnets

Last edited:

Gojira

Established Member
I thought of it today and came to find the idea was patented back in 2005. Does anyone know if this is a viable potential competitor to the exhaust driven turbo setups of today? Thanks guys, sorry if this has been discussed before

I heard they're really good for arthritis sufferers.

Users who are viewing this thread