Anyone know the owner of this burned shelby in Columbus GA?

Silver Talon

Pronounced: Mahcargo Braaaap
Established Member
Looking for the owner of this car that will be for sale soon on Copart. Just looking for more info on the fire and how it happened. Anyone seen this car or know the story?

Thanks!

Brian

Attachments

• Burn 1.jpg
    Burn 1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 331
  • Burn 2.jpg
    Burn 2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 350

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I have no idea, but judging by the driver's side fender, it doesn't appear to have been in a collision. Looks like something ignited under the hood and the fire department peeled the hood back to get to the source of the flames. The fuel line would be on that side of the car. I see a couple marks on the passenger side that looks like someone was trying to pry the hood open on the other side. Should have just broken a window and popped the hood latch.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree with @Catmonkey's assessment. A shame, for sure. I don't know how valuable knowing the cause of the fire would be for you, Brian, assuming the cause has even been found. Regardless, you might have a lot of work to do on that car, including replacing stuff like the wiring harnesses, fuel lines, smoke damage in the interior, etc. depending on the severity of the fire.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I see a couple marks on the passenger side that looks like someone was trying to pry the hood open on the other side. Should have just broken a window and popped the hood latch.

When there is a fire under the hood, I dont think anyone wants to put their hands under there, fiddling around for a hood latch.

Last edited:

Silver Talon

Established Member
Yea, big project for sure. But im curious about how long, and how hot it may have been before it was put out. I'm just curious about the integrity of the engine and what not. It looks like more of a fuel flash fire, and that it didn't burn incredibly long, meaning the long block would be ok. It doesn't look particularly low in the engine bay either, meaning the k-member and strut towers shouldn't be fatigued or compromised, making more of a cosmetic and electrical repair. I'm curious if some ones push mower was tucked in front of the car, and set fire to it, or a spilt gas can under the nose got ignited. That may help with trying to figure how deep the damage is. If it through a rod through the top of the block, and split the fuel rail, then burned, obviously its a bit more of a project to tackle.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
...I'm curious if some ones push mower was tucked in front of the car, and set fire to it, or a spilt gas can under the nose got ignited...
Could have been an electrical fire. I can't locate them now, but I remember pics of a Sterling Gray 13 GT500 that looked something like this years ago. IIRC, the owner had daisy-chained or cross-connected a battery tender to the Shelby and a motorcycle. Unsurprisingly, something overloaded, igniting a fire that burned the engine compartment of the Shelby and a good bit of the garage. While I never mess with daisy-chaining or cross-connecting my battery tender, seeing the pics convinced me to never leave mine plugged in when I'm not home.

Silver Talon

Established Member
Could have been an electrical fire. I can't locate them now, but I remember pics of a Sterling Gray 13 GT500 that looked something like this years ago. IIRC, the owner had daisy-chained or cross-connected a battery tender to the Shelby and a motorcycle. Unsurprisingly, something overloaded, igniting a fire that burned the engine compartment of the Shelby and a good bit of the garage. While I never mess with daisy-chaining or cross-connecting my battery tender, seeing the pics convinced me to never leave mine plugged in when I'm not home.

Yes, something tells me that there was something external that assisted in the fire. Which makes me believe that it will be a bit safer fix than if something blew up and then set it on fire.

Users who are viewing this thread