Anyone living in Killeen/Ft. Hood area?

whtgt02vert

turned to the darkside.
Established Member
My fiancee may be getting a teaching job out there and I was wondering how it is out there? If I move with her as soon as she gets the job ill be looking for a job asap so if anything is available let me know(Management major). Also, what universitys are out there? Id like to continue going back to school. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jake

txyaloo

Established Member
It's strictly a military town unlike El Paso which means it comes with the problems of being a military town (crime, very young, many minorities) The crime in Killeen itself is high. There are some nice places to live, but the nicer homes are in Harker Heights. Copperas Cove is also a good choice. Will she be teaching in the Killeen ISD?

I'm not aware of any jobs in the area, but there are always civilian jobs available on post. There are two colleges in town. Central Texas College is community college and Tarleton State University Central Texas offers bachelor and masters degrees. It's due to become Texas A&M Central Texas very soon. Also Mary Hardn-Baylor is in Temple.

Are ya'll planning on buying a house or renting?

wag03gt

Established Member
Look into the University of Mary-Hardin Baylor. I actually went to school there and its about 15 min from Killeen. A nice little Division III college with good opportunities. Also as mentioned look into Harker Heights, Belton, and Temple for your wife to teach at. Killeen ISD is a pretty rough school district. Not saying all the schools in Killeen are bad, just that the other ones mentioned are a lot better and they are only a very short drive away. The community college mentioned also is a good place to look for a job.

If you need anymore info just ask, i went there for 4 years and have lived just north of that area my whole life

whiplash306

Established Member
I've lived in the Killeen/Ft Hood area for a little over 18+ years now....absolutely LOVE it. It's unfortunate that the general notion of Killeen is what Txyaloo described to you above. I'm not saying he's entirely incorrect by any means, but I have never felt it to be as bad as what "some" would have you to believe. The car scene is pretty good. There's usually a spot to meet up at most every night if you like and even better spots on the weekend evenings.

Austin is an hour south. DFW is two hours north. SanAntonio is 2.5 hours south. Houston is 3 hours, etc....so it's a really centrally located area that still offers plenty in and of itself, apart from those larger cities.

As Txyaloo already touched on, while there are certainly nicer areas to live at in Killeen, generally people who want a bit better of an overall environment choose Harker Heights to live in. Both Harker Heights and Killeen are basically synonymous with one another though in that there's not much of a seperation between the two cities beyond a road or two.....People do live in Copperas Cove, but it's not much for entertainment (AT ALL!!!). In fact, it's down right boring. It's basically a strip of highway with a run down city built around it and some tributary streets jutting off that where people live....

As for the teacher's job market, I can't help you much there as I'm in the medical field and work at a sister city's larger hospital. Do you know what school your wife might be working at? Might be able to kinda give you a bit of an idea of what she can expect based on that....

Anything else specifically I can answer for 'ya, don't hesitate to ask.

**EDIT** I didn't see your question concerning schools. There's several schools:
1. Central Texas College (local)
2. Tarleton University....now Texas A&M I believe (local)
3. Temple College (20 min drive northeast)
4. University of Mary Hardin Baylor (15 min drive northeast)
5. McClennan Community College (50 miles north in Waco)
6. Austin Community College (hour's drive south in Austin)
7. ......the list goes on.......

Last edited:

whtgt02vert

turned to the darkside.
Established Member
She will be teaching for KISD. Music teacher. AS for buying or renting, probably rent the first couple of months as we look for a place. Real estate seems relatively cheap in Killeen, so if she gets any of the 3 jobs she intereviewed for we will take a weekend off and go house hunting. She could have to relocate as soon as Sunday and start new teacher orientation on Monday.

What is there for a nightlife there in Killeen? Do most people just head to Austin? I only ask becuase I'd like to bartend at one of the local bars/clubs/pubs if possible to make some extra cash.

Txyaloo, it seems that Killeen may be a smaller version of El Paso's northeast side of town. That is where all the military resides. Crime is actually pretty low for the northeast from what i've read. Hoepfully, it isnt as bad as you make it sound. Where are you located? Killeen? It would be nice to meet some other Texas members!

txyaloo

Established Member
She will be teaching for KISD. Music teacher. AS for buying or renting, probably rent the first couple of months as we look for a place. Real estate seems relatively cheap in Killeen, so if she gets any of the 3 jobs she intereviewed for we will take a weekend off and go house hunting. She could have to relocate as soon as Sunday and start new teacher orientation on Monday.

What is there for a nightlife there in Killeen? Do most people just head to Austin? I only ask becuase I'd like to bartend at one of the local bars/clubs/pubs if possible to make some extra cash.

Txyaloo, it seems that Killeen may be a smaller version of El Paso's northeast side of town. That is where all the military resides. Crime is actually pretty low for the northeast from what i've read. Hoepfully, it isnt as bad as you make it sound. Where are you located? Killeen? It would be nice to meet some other Texas members!

I grew up in the area, but I live in Austin now. My parents are real estate agents in Copperas Cove/Killen/Harker Heights. The areas around Harker Heights and the fringe areas of town are going to be the nicest neighborhoods. Belton is nice too if you don't mind the drive. Real estate is relatively cheep and home prices haven't been falling much.

Here's the neighborhood crime statistics:
http://www.ci.killeen.tx.us/index.php?section=304

What grade does she teach? I'd assume elementary or middle since she's a music teacher?

I don't know much about the night life there anymore. They really aren't my kind of bars and not my kind of people to hang out around. Bartending in Austin wouldn't be easy due to so many college kids at UT. Those bars are always overloaded with bartenders.

wag03gt

Established Member
txyaloo and whiplash have pretty much the same view as i do. Killeen bars are decent, but usually are over run by GI's and thugs. There are a few in Temple. Duckhorn and O'briens (sp?) are some good ones to look at if you want to bar tend. Austin isnt all that far away either.

txyaloo

Established Member
txyaloo and whiplash have pretty much the same view as i do. Killeen bars are decent, but usually are over run by GI's and thugs. There are a few in Temple. Duckhorn and O'briens (sp?) are some good ones to look at if you want to bar tend. Austin isnt all that far away either.

I don't have a problem with the army guys. They're mostly good people. It's the thugs/wannabe thugs that cause problems. Thankfully in Austin they mostly stay out of downtown and in other areas instead.

A lot of my friends go to Denim and Diamonds in Temple. :lol: I've been a few times. The only hangover I've ever had was after drinking their well whiskey (Kentucky Deluxe) and coke. That set me on my ass.

whtgt02vert

turned to the darkside.
Established Member
I grew up in the area, but I live in Austin now. My parents are real estate agents in Copperas Cove/Killen/Harker Heights. The areas around Harker Heights and the fringe areas of town are going to be the nicest neighborhoods. Belton is nice too if you don't mind the drive. Real estate is relatively cheep and home prices haven't been falling much.

Here's the neighborhood crime statistics:
City of Killeen, TX - GIS City Maps

What grade does she teach? I'd assume elementary or middle since she's a music teacher?

I don't know much about the night life there anymore. They really aren't my kind of bars and not my kind of people to hang out around. Bartending in Austin wouldn't be easy due to so many college kids at UT. Those bars are always overloaded with bartenders.

Thanks for the info Txyaloo. The jobs she interviewed for were 1 middle and 2(sson to be a 3rd tomorrow)elementary. We have thought about just building our huose if we do decide to stay there for some time. Its smack dab in the middle so if we decide to take a drive or a small weekend getaway we can go to a number of places.

wag03gt

Established Member
A lot of my friends go to Denim and Diamonds in Temple. :lol: I've been a few times. The only hangover I've ever had was after drinking their well whiskey (Kentucky Deluxe) and coke. That set me on my ass.[/QUOTE]

Haha oh geez, Denim and Diamonds has hit rock bottom the past few years. We would frequent there when i was first at college there but it is absolutely terrible now, i havent been in forever. Of course no bar or club in that area is amazing anyways.

OP- your wife should like any of those schools and the elementary schools will be rather tame. You will enjoy the area for sure

96lasersnake

storm trooper'd cobra
Established Member
I live in the Temple area and work in Killeen. I wont live in Killeen, I would choose one of the surrounding cities. Most people have touched on the schools. My wife graduated from UMHB and liked it, it is just really expensive to go to. One of my favortie things is like whiplash306 said, the area is a short drive to most big city areas. The Killeen nightlife is kinda shitty compared to most places with the thug/GI mix making it not enjoyable. Does your wife have the job already?

sonicblu03

Established Member
I've lived in Killeen since 95. No issues what so ever. Have raised my daughter in KISD, some bad teachers alot of great ones. It is what you make it, if you listen to the folks who say dont live here or dont live there you'll never grow as a person.

I do recommend living south of 190 as it is newer and growing.

I've been to all the clubs and bars atleast once with no issues. Bartending part time shouldn't be a problem.

You'll see a shit ton of Mustangs and LSx's so there is always something to do car related.

There are I believe 36 elementary schools in KISD. The Mrs shouldn't have a prob finding a job. I wish you luck.

If you have any other questions or concerns just let me know.

Mike

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I live down in killeen, been here about 2 years, but i was deployed for half of that. Its an alright place i guess, dont really like it but its better than some places i could of went lol!

whtgt02vert

turned to the darkside.
Established Member
She got 3 rejection letters in the mail yesterday. And she called to inquire on the 4th job and it got filled as well. She was bummed about the job as was I. I really was looking to get out of here. Granted Killeen is a smaller town, it is closer to all the major cities in Texas. She's still looking. She hopefully will get a phone interview from Uvalde CISD. I had never even heard of that place before today.

whiplash306

Established Member
She got 3 rejection letters in the mail yesterday. And she called to inquire on the 4th job and it got filled as well. She was bummed about the job as was I. I really was looking to get out of here. Granted Killeen is a smaller town, it is closer to all the major cities in Texas. She's still looking. She hopefully will get a phone interview from Uvalde CISD. I had never even heard of that place before today.
Holy LORD...Uvalde?!?! CRINGE!!!! Well, we'll start with the positive....it's beautiful hill country, 20 miles away from Concan, which has "The Best Little Swimming Hole in Texas" off the Frio River (GREAT inner tubing). See Neal's Lodges on the Frio River & Buchanan Cabins . It's also about an hour and fifteen mins out of SanAntonio, which will be your saving grace in the long run :). The negative....It's a VERY old and extremely run-down city with a pretty poor economy. There are some positive growths occurring there, but the extent of a hang out would be Wal-Mart. ***Deadsville*** There isn't even a mall...ha! It is also a largely Hispanic community. Some of the Tex-Mex and overall Mexican food there is good though!!! I'm down there probably three times p/year and know the area well...!

Sorry to hear of your wife's rejections, but there are FAR more than 4 schools in this Killeen/Harker Heights/Nolanville/Belton/Temple/Ft. Hood/Copperas Cove area that she would probably find a fit in!!!! Killeen is a PARADISE in overall entertainment and "stuff to do" as compared to Uvalde!!!!

In other words: YOU DO NOT WANT TO MOVE TO UVALDE!!!!!!!

Last edited:

whtgt02vert

turned to the darkside.
Established Member
She has applied to every school district in texas as a music/choir teacher. She is looking for anything right now. She is tired of working where she currently is right now. She wants to get her foot in the door anywhere as of right now. Also, KISD only has so many choir psotions open so once they fill they fill! Here in el paso there is an excess of music teachers so no jobs available here. I told her to apply out of state but she didn't listen to me. She is applying and whoever calls back to set up interviews is where her interest is. Trust me whiplash, when I say this is one place I don't wanna go. But I'm supporting her in whatever she pursues.

Users who are viewing this thread