Anyone living with Adult Attention Deficit Disorder?

boatcop1

Established Member
My wife and I have been doing marriage therapy for a while now and this topic came up at our last visit so i took the test and got 100%:banana: lol seriously though, I then went to my pcp and they were able to confirm the test and at this point we are considering meds. I really don tlike the idea of medication but if it will help me function a little more efficiently and maybe even help our mariage it may be worth giving it a shot.

I know the topic of medication can be somewhat taboo and not alot of people like talking about it but I have never dealt with it before so I am just looking for anyone to share their experiences if you have any.

Thanks all.

PS. Drop me a PM if you would prefer to discuss the topic off the board.
:beer:

devin1986

Boosted Grandma-Mobile
Established Member
I'm a high functioning autistic, and I have ADD. I'm fairly non-productive and I'll spend hours and hours reading about cars and physics/racing(autistic obsession). I'm also easily distracted and have a hard time focusing on beneficial things in my life. I recently started taking adderall. It helps me a lot, and seems to give me more drive to complete tasks. The only draw backs for me is that I have to stop taking it around 2-3pm if I want to have a good night sleep, or I have to take a melatonin before bed. I'm also fairly tired on days when I don't take it, but that can be negated with caffeine and your body will adjust to being drug free after a few days.

boatcop1

Established Member
I'm a high functioning autistic, and I have ADD. I'm fairly non-productive and I'll spend hours and hours reading about cars and physics/racing(autistic obsession). I'm also easily distracted and have a hard time focusing on beneficial things in my life. I recently started taking adderall. It helps me a lot, and seems to give me more drive to complete tasks. The only draw backs for me is that I have to stop taking it around 2-3pm if I want to have a good night sleep, or I have to take a melatonin before bed. I'm also fairly tired on days when I don't take it, but that can be negated with caffeine and your body will adjust to being drug free after a few days.

Thank you for chiming in I apreciate it. Adderal was brought up so I am doing as much research as possible about it. Have you ever suffered any negative side effects other than being tired when you dont dose? Thanks again.

Last edited:

tistan

Established Member
OP, do you not listen to your wife? I find when my wife talks I kind of just zone out and I never remember anything she tells me. I used to do it with my parents when I was growing up. It was so bad growing up, my parents took me to the ear doctor to test my hearing. I just find that I only focus on things that interest me.

boatcop1

Established Member
I would love to have prescription speed.

I'm not 100% but I believe depending on doasage if you actually REQUIRE the med it does not have the same effect.

OP, do you not listen to your wife? I find when my wife talks I kind of just zone out and I never remember anything she tells me. I used to do it with my parents when I was growing up. It was so bad growing up, my parents took me to the ear doctor to test my hearing. I just find that I only focus on things that interest me.

LOL Selective Hearing FTW!:rockon:

svtaddict

Established Member
i have it and am very impulsive and do things that get me in trouble its a constant struggle im always worried about messingup and losing my job because of it. i work in peoples homes and constantly have women half naked and my mind just wanders i feel you it sucks

svtaddict

Established Member
i didnt graduate i think because i was always distrated parting and had a hard time with priorities but now im married and have two children and have to struggle with staying on the line ive thought about meds but my wife says if it changes me she would hate it because she loves me for who and how i am good luck i feel your pain oh and i also have terrible communication and people skills because of it

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member

Pretty much the same for me, I take 10MG in the morning and 10MG at lunch. If anything I have been sleeping better though. But if I dont take it I will crash HARD. Like falling asleep standing up hard. One other side effect that I'm LOVING is that my appetite has pretty much gone away. I am never hungry and when I do eat(still eating 3 meals a day to stay healthy) I eat half of what I used to and I'm stuffed. It has helped me lose over 20 lbs in the last 8 weeks. Still about 30 more lbs to go though.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
It's pretty sad because there is not one thing / symptom posted in this thread that does not apply to me in one way or another. I constantly challenge myself to remember, document, and jump on things as fast as I can to combat it.

I have not been checked but remember the times I spent as a kid with a child psychologist. I should just bite the bullet, get checked, and deal with the drugs but I am not a fan of any chemical in my body.

I work with someone that has it and tried one of his pills one day. Damn was I productive that day but it made me feel on edge, jittery a bit and pretty much convinced myself it was wrong for me.

As life gets more complicated with ever increasing responsibility on the job front I worry avoiding treatment will bite me.

Glad to hear people speak about it as it may weigh on my decision to do something about it. My intense focus on combatting it has done me well but the what if factor makes me wonder if I am leaving behind much potential.

Thanks everyone for speaking up!

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
I'm not 100% but I believe depending on doasage if you actually REQUIRE the med it does not have the same effect.

This is correct. People who actually have ADD or require the medication it does not work as a form of speed for them. I use to take the OG form of adderall when I was a kid. (Ritalin) I stopped at 18. I think I still need it in some ways. Side effects when I took Ritalin were curbed appetite, I was not sociable at all it would make me extremely introverted when I was off of it I would be normal and talk to people a lot more.

Last edited:

Hrbdizzle

Freight Train
Established Member
Oh it has the same effect. When you first start taking speed or meth , the first thing you notice is the focus and intensity to all things that come your way.

Adderall is a Stimulant period actually I believe it's called Amphetamine D

It makes you wired to the point where you can focus on what ever is in your face.

devin1986

Boosted Grandma-Mobile
Established Member
There's nothing preventing you from eating while on adderall. You can always eat a little extra. Also, not taking it late in the day, and not overusing it will allow you to get a good night's sleep. Truebluedevil hit on the head for symptoms, and the symptoms are easy to control once you've been on the drug for a few days. I'll mention too... I still love to eat on adderall. I just don't get the random snack urges as much.

Myth, or at least in my experiences, is that adderall makes you into a super thinking single-minded person. I haven't experienced this. I still feel pretty normal on adderall, and it only helps me to focus on day to day tasks.

Last edited:

ssssnake

Established Member
My son has ADD. He took Ritalin all through school but stopped taking it his senior year. He's 34 now. The problem we have now is his addiction to meth. He says the meth doesn't affect him like others. He says it has the opposite effect on him because of his ADD. I think it's bullshit because I do see how it affects him. He will sleep for 15-20 hours coming down. I don't know if Adderall would help him, but it would be worth a try. He doesn't have insurance though. The other is destroying our family.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
My son has ADD. He took Ritalin all through school but stopped taking it his senior year. He's 34 now. The problem we have now is his addiction to meth. He says the meth doesn't affect him like others. He says it has the opposite effect on him because of his ADD. I think it's bullshit because I do see how it affects him. He will sleep for 15-20 hours coming down. I don't know if Adderall would help him, but it would be worth a try. He doesn't have insurance though. The other is destroying our family.

Very sorry to hear this. My best to your family as that is such a difficult thing to tackle.

GodStang

Established Member
Always had problems in school and just in general paying attention and staying on topic. I was on probation in college and about to flunk out. So my parents convinced me to get tested. I went and got tested an tested positive for ADHD and dyslexia. I was put on meds. Most of my life I only slept a few hours a night. Once I went on medication I could sleep full nights and I was much more focused. Grades went up to As and Bs and I graduated college. I have since stop taking the medicine and my sleep and focus is gone once again and I have to use Tylenol PMs just to sleep.

Also I am one of those people who did need consume caffeine or sugar growing up. The reason I say this is I have seen many times that a 8yr old kid will drink a 2 24oz Mt. Dew, eat chocolate ice cream and a honey bun all for breakfast and the parents can not understand why the kid is wild. That is not ADD or ADHD it is poor diet.

Users who are viewing this thread