Anyone move from one reputable tuner to another?

rmurer

Established Member
Curious if anyone has went with one reputable tuner to only move onto a different one without any mods done, just purely for a new tune? Did you notice a difference in the way your car responded/drove?

Last edited:

helloWorld

Established Member
Before I had my remote AED tune, I had another remote tune from a reputable guy.

With the previous tune, my factory automatic transmission would not shift from first to second without a couple seconds hesitation at WOT. The engine also bogged down a bit down in the lower RPMs. Switched to AED, all problems solved.

That being said, getting an in-person dyno tune with street adjustments from someone who is competent with an engine platform will always be better than a remote datalog tune. As soon as this one local shop's schedule clears, I will definitely be getting an all-out balls-out E-85 tune and will keep the AED flex fuel tune around if I need it.

Holovacko

Established Member
I have used a few. I agree a Dyno tune should always give you better results, but not always the case.(with an automatic) I received a base email tune from Lund, that ran faster than a top shop Dyno tune. Because they didn't get shift point correct. After wasting quite a bit of money on tunes from different shops, I would just go the email route and remote tune.

jn2

Established Member
From what I have read and heard from locals your top 2 tuners are going to be AED and Lund and you want to stay away from Bama. This is from what I've read around the forums and heard from locals. This is my non biased opinion as well, I do all my tuning myself so I have nothing invested in any of the above companies.

rmurer

Established Member
From what I have read and heard from locals your top 2 tuners are going to be AED and Lund and you want to stay away from Bama. This is from what I've read around the forums and heard from locals. This is my non biased opinion as well, I do all my tuning myself so I have nothing invested in any of the above companies.

Yeah i don't consider BAMA reputable lol.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Cant say I haven't had any issues with BAMA, but IMO they are good. Car is running very strong with it. Great customer service and that goes a long way for me. Never had to wait more than two days for a tune.

Last edited:

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Sometimes dyno tunes don't equal great tunes either. I had my tune by Lund on a dyno, yet my car stalls when I am slowing down in neutral for traffic lights, or turns. I have to down shift in order to not stall and even then sometimes it stalls once I stop.
Other than that little (sarcastic tone) item it runs great. Honestly it does drive nicely. I haven't been able to find another rep. tuner to redo mine. Sorry I have no comparison for you

jn2

Established Member
Sometimes dyno tunes don't equal great tunes either. I had my tune by Lund on a dyno, yet my car stalls when I am slowing down in neutral for traffic lights, or turns. I have to down shift in order to not stall and even then sometimes it stalls once I stop.
Other than that little (sarcastic tone) item it runs great. Honestly it does drive nicely. I haven't been able to find another rep. tuner to redo mine. Sorry I have no comparison for you

Yeah you want to street tune to get drivability in line and dyno tune to dial in WOT stuff.

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
I see you have a VMP supercharger, so I would call Justin at VMP to tune your car. If your already using him, and have issues, work with him, he is a great guy I am sure he can work out the issues

How far are you from Columbus OH?? The next NMRA even is June 9-12 Justin will be there, you can have him tune your car there. Also many of the other tuners will be there, so you can talk to all of them, and decide who want to tune your car

Plus you can see a lot of awesome drag racing, it is a fun weekend

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Yeah you want to street tune to get drivability in line and dyno tune to dial in WOT stuff.

Yeah, unfortunately they didn't check that aspect (well enough) before returning the car to me. I can data log it to send for a fix, but I haven't. I don't know how, nor do I really want to. Should've been done before I got the car back but... In either case (to the OP) it seems the dyno is the best route but make sure you approve of driveability before you leave the dyno

Vinylinterior89

Established Member
I had Mike Rousch then switched to Lund both mail order both with same mods (JLT cai, o/r xpipe).... Lund went alittle over 2mph faster at the track with similiar DA, but I'd say driveability, may of been slightly better with the Mike Rousch tune.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Yeah, unfortunately they didn't check that aspect (well enough) before returning the car to me. I can data log it to send for a fix, but I haven't. I don't know how, nor do I really want to. Should've been done before I got the car back but... In either case (to the OP) it seems the dyno is the best route but make sure you approve of driveability before you leave the dyno
You really need to just datalog it and send it in. Its a very simple process, make a ticket, send in a log, get a retune.

In all honestly it is most likely something very small that can be fixed fast.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
I went from AED to Lund. Big difference with throttle response and low end torque from Lund. AED offered great and quick support, just think for my combo Lund is better. The fact that Lund now uses HP Tuners is an extra bonus.

SixPak

Established Member
When I first tuned my '12 GT I bought an X-Pipe and some axle backs along with the canned tune at the same time from the same vendor. (You'd never guess who...LOL!). Anyways, shortly there after I went with some LT's and a catted X, and got the obligatory tune upgrade, again from the same vendor. Three days after all the work is done and I put the tune in I start getting O2 codes. One of the O2 wire harnesses got stretched a little bit during the header install, so I figure it got monsooned along the way. No biggy, ordered a couple of new ones and put them in. Three days later, same shit. WTF? Called tuner, explained what was happening and got a revision. Reload stock tune, did a KAM reset, install tune revision. Same shit. At this point I figure something is jacked up, and my best guess is it's the tune. I have to say at this point that the term data log was never mentioned. Also, when they sent me the tune revision it was for 91oct, and I specifically asked for 93. I called them on this and their response was, 'well, the 93 and the 91 are the same tune'. I knew right then I was dealing with the wrong people.
I decided that it was time to let a pro deal with this, pulled the trigger and made an appointment for a Dyno Tune. For the mods I have this is prolly overkill, but I wasn't fooling around anymore. And I have to say the car has never run better. They did a before and after and skweezed out 10 more ponies to the rear wheels. No more codes, and the way trans behaves is worlds apart from what it was.
That was my experience with canned tunes. For my purposes the canned tune will be used to get my car to the Dyno shop, that or a trailor.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
I have had 5 different tuners tunes on my coyote. Logged them all. Lund and VMP are my Favorite performance wise. ;).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread