Anyone own a viper?

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
I was looking into a used viper coupe in the next couple years just for something different and was wondering what ownerships is like.

GodStang

Established Member
Smokey1226 said:
one word, HENNESY (spelling)

Yes and the fact that Hennesy is a thief. Do a search on him he has so many lawsuits against him. My buddy is on his third one just sold one of his two the other day. He lives them. They are nice cars and they are pretty darn quick.

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
pretty darn quick? Are you kidding i seen one hennesy viper put down 1300 and run 8's without much trouble....that is more than quick

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
lets not turn this into a hennesey thread. I know all about them and the people they screwed. I'm asking about owning a normal viper.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Narcosynthesis said:
I was looking into a used viper coupe in the next couple years just for something different and was wondering what ownerships is like.

Your best bet would be to check out www.viperclub.org, you'll probably get some more serious replies and have your question stay on topic :burnout:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Here I come to save the day!!!!

As said above, try the viperclub.org for any info about a viper. It's more of an inforamtion base forum than a general discussion one. The viperalley is for talking, but you need tough skin to play in there because it can get nasty.

To sum it up quick, they are weekend toys. Not very comfortable (I'm 6'7" 260), hot unless you remove the cats, and ride very rough. Mechanically, they are built very tough (engine/tranny/rear end) and can take a lot of abuse. They make lots of low end torque even when stock and can be modded to make lots of power without stressing the motor very much. My car is rather tame now, but it still gets the job done as I only drive it a few hundred miles a year and it still scares the $hit outta me everytime.

If you want more info, PM me or just check out the various websites

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
ok thanks. My cobra is a weekend toy now and I would like something a little more exotic. Although I love the cobra, the vipers I see around town always drop my jaw when they drive by. Ill check out viperclub.

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
Smokey1226 said:
dont be gay, get a z06....

lol, I'd get a Z06 if they weren't 80 grand. I'm not made of money. The cobra is almost paid for...maybe Ill keep it and put a turbo in it or something. Hmm.....

Last edited:

ROADFOOLSRIDE

Local Pavement Ripper
Established Member
Z06's are cool. But like you said, you're looking for something more exotic, and I think the viper gives you that.

cobrastrike4

Established Member
It is a fantastic car to drive, when I first drove one it was as if I was driving my hemi cuda all over again took me back 20 years raw and real than fast forward and I mean faster forward WOW what a machine this thing will duck, bob, weave whatever you ask she will just about do it is as much a straight line bullet as it is a road course carver it will hang with and outperform the $175,000 lambo or toy with an F50 as well as poke a porsche driver in his side and you will have a blast doing it.
I have a gen 2 RT/10 stock, I did add the borla cat back just so I could hear the thing whine out and the smooth tubes these are mearly the tubes the air comes into the motor through smooth verses ribbed from the factory won't buff up the air so much.
To go from the cobra to the viper you will def. need to transition slowly I went to the cobra from the viper and I was like hmmm that's it? (stock for stock)
You can punch the cobra and she stays right there punch the viper and it's like whoa this thing will throw you a curve, no crap I was cold just comming out for a quickie I had not been in the seat for a month and leaving a light from 2nd to 3rd spun the thing 180 I was like WTF I forgot my manners.
They look as impressive from underneath as they do from the top honestly it is a true R/T car you can put a lic. plate on, period.
The torque will snap your head back, the steering is right on, slide through the six speed gear box feather the throttle with ease and 80 is a blink away, the ride is better than a 96 993 TT porsche it even rivals the GT2 two more of the greatest cars to grace this land.
If you do intend to go quick (more than just around town) change out the brake fluid and front brakes, loose the stock exhaust, shift lever, seat belts, upgrade just these few items add a roll cage and go to driving school (class room/track seat time with a pro instructor) and POOF you are in a car that will test your knowledge of the laws of physics as you now know them and O'my, you will start to rethink what you thought you knew by the way you feel the oxygen racing to keep up with the blood in your veins as you go through turn one or leave the tree with a new found level of skill.
These cars are raw and NO friggin cup holders and no cruise control its real so you better be!
I am shocked it has A/C I used mine once and it blew COLD in traffic @ 105 and no sh** I only put it on to see if it really worked 2 years later.
I drove 1000 miles with the same self body creaks and cracks that I had in my caddy and my mother much to my surprise fell asleep at times thats how smooth the ride is at an 80 mph cruise.
I have 0 seat time in an 03 and later snake so I cant help there, I went with an 01 for the one year color, ABS, and RT/10 thats what I wanted 02 is the same as 01 a lot of guys like the 96 for the GTS as it was the first year run of that model all cars before that were RT/10s, rough no tops just canvas like a jeep, I think 400hp/400tq and imo drove way to rough for the $ and needed just what they finished with in 02 mean as a real viper and demands respect and you have A/C, ABS, p/w, p/b, p/s, power door locks, am/fm stero w/cd, white face gages and this stuff works in a 450/450 package for 70,000 new built right here in the U.S.A by some of the best craftsmen in the entire world how can you not ever drive or own one? you only live once..
buy a plane ticket and go see Rome.
I agree with others check out the Viper Club of America website and RESEARCH also a great book to add to your library is: DODGE VIPER by Daniel F. Carney, MBI publishing company.
Bob Lutz the father of the viper as well as the countless other's who brought this car from the drawing board to the track built an icon no doubt about it.
O'ya, the attention kinda sucks if you do not want to be pointed, screamed, flashed, waved and talked at and have pics taken and you have more money than brains then do not get one it could be hazardous to your health.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
just got back from the silver state classic in my year 2001 viper ACR where i slayed all the C6 Z06's on the 90 mile course and the 1 mile top speed shootout. IMO Z06's are street cars and vipers are race cars.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
If you're waiting a bit, get an SRT-10. They are dropping like rocks. Much more driveable from what I hear. I've driven a couple Gen II's, and I'm sure a car like a C6 Z06 is a much more driveable car and is certainly faster stock, but that can't change the fact a Gen II is a much, much, much better looking car. There is nothing close to the price of a Viper that makes you go "wow" when you see it. If exotic is what you're after, the Viper is your best low(er) cost option. You can find great Gen II cars in the 40's now.

Users who are viewing this thread