anyone refinish their valve covers?

mavereq

Established Member
i am curious as to what i would have to do to put a black crinkle finish on my valve covers. i would hate to do it while the engine is out and have the finish come off on me.

does anyone have a DIY success story?

GodStang

Established Member
Yep I did mine and they came out great. Its been 8-9 months since I did mine.

joshgengine.jpg

Last edited:

03yellow

Established Member
Had mine sanblasted $20 and powder coated glossy black $30.
Most of the powdercoaters do lots of black iron fence. I had it all done in 3hrs. They were running some nice satin black the same day.

mavereq said:
i am curious as to what i would have to do to put a black crinkle finish on my valve covers. i would hate to do it while the engine is out and have the finish come off on me.

ASVT2NV

Insane And Rising....
Established Member
the hard part isnt finding how to do them.. its removing them and putting them back on you gotta worry about! All i can say is have fun lol

GodStang

Established Member
USed a bottle of airplane paint stripper ($5) sprayed it down hosed it down with a garden hose. Wire brushed it. Then Painted it with Car paint.

Teal Terminator

Established Member
I just used some full strength degreaser and made sure to scrub them real well. Then I went back and scuffed them up with a ~400 grit scotch brite pad, then standard base coat clear coat. So far so good. :) I had it at VIR last weekend and that engine was VERY hot and no problems with the paint on anything.

IMG_1881.jpg

IMG_1887.jpg

Last edited:

droptop351

HP maniac
Established Member
NothinButNotch said:
I just used some full strength degreaser and made sure to scrub them real well. Then I went back and scuffed them up with a ~400 grit scotch brite pad, then standard base coat clear coat. So far so good. :) I had it at VIR last weekend and that engine was VERY hot and no problems with the paint on anything.

IMG_1881.jpg

IMG_1887.jpg

hey i just noticed something are you getting unmetered air with one side of your pcv having a filter and the other still running to vaccum feed on the drivers side?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A ton of people here have done their covers. I've seen them painted, polished, etc. You can be very creative with this. A very nice engine appearance mod IMO.

Teal Terminator

Established Member
droptop351 said:
hey i just noticed something are you getting unmetered air with one side of your pcv having a filter and the other still running to vaccum feed on the drivers side?

I was but I only had it like that for a week and I had been keeping an eye on my A/F. I have since switched two breathers.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
scott5 said:
what all you have to take off to take off the covers?
on the passenger side you need to take off the elbow from the blower and the air filter setup. The driver side isnt as easy because you have to remove the clutch cable and then unbolt the brake boost so you can wiggle it over enough to get the driver side cover off and then back on.

A good bet is to do it while you are swapping out blowers. If you have a whipple or kb you are almost screwed into removing the blower again.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
mavereq said:

Buy the frpp black crinkle ones and then do something with the stockers later. I'm thinking of having my stockers done up so I can sell them easier since I already put ford gt blue ones on my car.

Users who are viewing this thread