Anyone regret switching to return style fuel system?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
the only downside is harder startup in some cases, depending on the regulator some have to prime the lines by turning the key on and off a couple times..Also the fuel runs hotter.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I agree with the harder start up..

Mine will do it from time to time, usually after the car is already warm and I let it sit for a minute or so.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the only downside is harder startup in some cases, depending on the regulator some have to prime the lines by turning the key on and off a couple times..Also the fuel runs hotter.

this is the issue Im having - I am NOT dead headed at the moment and I get bad fuel vapor smell after a while when the fuel gets hot (PTFE lines). I need to make sure something in the evap didn't get disconnected I guess. Im also looking at a controller to run 1 pump until the other is needed

MG0h3

Established Member
Deadhead here. Zero smell and starts are fine. I have noticed a little change in cold starts recently but I believe it’s due to the E being blended at 75 and it’s already pretty warm here. Don’t read this wrong; it’s nothing I would even call close to a hard start. Having our plugs gapped way down for high boost doesn’t help either.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

bigmoose

Established Member
I wouldn't call hard startup a downside compared to a returnless system because both can have this issue. On a returnless system if you have a PPRV delete you have the same symptom.

bigmoose

Established Member
this is the issue Im having - I am NOT dead headed at the moment and I get bad fuel vapor smell after a while when the fuel gets hot (PTFE lines). I need to make sure something in the evap didn't get disconnected I guess. Im also looking at a controller to run 1 pump until the other is needed
I'm betting your issue is directly related to your boiling hot fuel since you are not deadhead.

Running staged pumps won't solve your fuel heating issue.

cj428mach

Established Member
Nope no regrets

Run the lines deadhead and spend some time on the tune and the startup will be fine.

Comp04svt

Established Member
No regrets here either. Car starts just as it did when it was returnless, hot/cold either way. I have mine setup as a deadhead system as well. No issues with smell either. I'm on e85 as well.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Traditional returnless. Twin 465's on all the time. Zero starting issues and car runs better than it ever has.

No fuel smell with E85 either.

Should have done this years ago but I over complicated it in my head.

lx347cid

Established Member
I wouldn't call hard startup a downside compared to a returnless system because both can have this issue. On a returnless system if you have a PPRV delete you have the same symptom.
Yep thats where i am now with the pprv deleted a bit hard to start at times when warm. Wonder why only when warm as opposed to cold. But doesnt bother me too much.

lx347cid

Established Member
Sounds like a no brainer because i can get e85 just around the corner from me.

bigmoose

Established Member
Yep thats where i am now with the pprv deleted a bit hard to start at times when warm. Wonder why only when warm as opposed to cold. But doesnt bother me too much.
My guess is the fuel is vaporizing in the rails when it sits hot and takes a few cranks to bleed that out.

svtmemo

Established Member
I just got my Fore L1E set up and will be running a deadhead with 465s and stock rails, after reading some of the comments I feel more confident in this set up.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Your tune needs to be adjusted. Something in the start tables. I had the same issue with my 01 when I ran 80lb injectors. Granted I was returnless. But cold start was fine and hot start would act up at times. Once I made the changes in the tune it started up like stock every time.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
I’m running the glens performance kit with twin 340lbs on all the time and have no issues.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm betting your issue is directly related to your boiling hot fuel since you are not deadhead.

Running staged pumps won't solve your fuel heating issue.

and the smell issue is on regular fuel, not E85. It just wreaks of raw fuel.

I need to finish a couple things then I'll talk to the tuner again but I dont wanna de-rail this into another dead head vs not thread

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
My car with the pprv delete was annoying to start. Sometimes it would crank for a few seconds before I decided to cycle the key to get it to start. Never wanted to start easily. Deadhead return setup with 2 465s on all of the time and it never takes more than a bump of the key to start up. Zero regrets on going return other than I wish that I had done it sooner.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I regretted not going deadhead return. My car was set up to return after the rails, and my car would run like crap after about 45 minutes to an hour if it was warm out. This was with an Aeromotive Eliminator pump on a speed controller. The car would wreak of fuel vapors and the pump would scream!

I done some research and found @MalcolmV8 started a thread on how he dropped fuel temps over 100 degrees. I read the whole thing and decided to follow suit, and my car runs better than ever. No more boiling hot fuel, and the pump isnt screaming in heat soaked agony.

My car doesn't start like a stock Cobra would, but it starts pretty quick. I wouldn't go returnless, nor would I ever go back to returning after the fuel rails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the start thing doesnt bother me at all, I turn the key forward while I put on my seatbelt and thats plenty of time to prime the lines

Users who are viewing this thread