anyone run Michelin Super Sport Pilots???

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
thinking about taking off the NT05's for a set of the super sports. i am looking for a good street tire that is still a little sticky but rides good. the reviews i have seen are all from European cars that arent too powerful and i am wondering how these will be with the blower on my car. they come stock on the ZR1 so i would think it would be a half decent street tire.

running a 315/35/20 now and stepping down to a 295/35/20 b/c of rubbing issues

Sosick

Established Member
I had pilot sports on a maxima and they didn't last very long seeing as i raced it... I will never again spend a thousand dollars on tires that I'm going to just blow right off. Just my two cents.

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
LOL, these are just under $2k for the set.
i dont care about fast wear as my car only gets about 6k per year. i just want teh absolute best tire on the market!

Melvo

Trying to be fast
Established Member
A couple friends have them on a supra. I think some of u guys are thinking about the pilot sport cups. Those are the expensive ones. I want to try these as well when it's time to replace tires. The stock pirellis on the brembo wheels are just too expensive

BlackMamba3

Established Member
A couple friends have them on a supra. I think some of u guys are thinking about the pilot sport cups. Those are the expensive ones. I want to try these as well when it's time to replace tires. The stock pirellis on the brembo wheels are just too expensive

Personally, I'm referring to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

To me, Pirelli is :nonono:

kingnut

Established Member
I had pilot sports on a maxima and they didn't last very long seeing as i raced it... I will never again spend a thousand dollars on tires that I'm going to just blow right off. Just my two cents.

Racing a maxima... lol. I bet you smoked some minivans.

Anyways OP look into some toyo 888 but you would have to use a 315/30/20

Sosick

Established Member
Racing a maxima... lol. I bet you smoked some minivans.

Anyways OP look into some toyo 888 but you would have to use a 315/30/20

I loved racing people like you. A 2002-2003 Maxima is easily a twelve second car with just bolt ons...

ViciousJay

Established Member
Personally, I'm referring to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

To me, Pirelli is :nonono:

i dont mean to be that guy but you need a driver mod... i love the pirelli's... i can launch just fine and cut a 1.8 on 3.31 gear bone stock... even on the 3.90's they hook damn good.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
i dont mean to be that guy but you need a driver mod... i love the pirelli's... i can launch just fine and cut a 1.8 on 3.31 gear bone stock... even on the 3.90's they hook damn good.

It's ok, it's nice hearing the other side. While the Pirelli's have great grip, they burn up quick and are very expensive. I know the Michelin's aren't cheap but they'll last longer and from what I've read, perform much better than the Pirelli's.

Also, I'm not a drag race guy. Street and road race/autocross are my thing.

ViciousJay

Established Member
It's ok, it's nice hearing the other side. While the Pirelli's have great grip, they burn up quick and are very expensive. I know the Michelin's aren't cheap but they'll last longer and from what I've read, perform much better than the Pirelli's.

Also, I'm not a drag race guy. Street and road race/autocross are my thing.

Ok, im not a drag guy either but the tires are great, my drag days are over and im much like you, but the pirelli's dont really burn up that quick unless your flooring it everywhere. I'll say this if you want a different driving experience i would do my clutch pedal mod first off the bat, second i start rev matching when crusing around. That alone will save your tires and trans life.

Next the tires arent expensive, for 19's i got 275/40R19 Pirelli PZero Nero All Season for my Brembos in the rear for 183 a piece which is a ****ing STEAL!

Last edited:

BlackMamba3

Established Member
Ok, im not a drag guy either but the tires are great, my drag days are over and im much like you, but the pirelli's dont really burn up that quick unless your flooring it everywhere. I'll say this if you want a different driving experience i would do my clutch pedal mod first off the bat, second i start rev matching when crusing around. That alone will save your tires and trans life.

Next the tires arent expensive, for 19's i got 275/40R19 Pirelli PZero Nero All Season for my Brembos in the rear for 183 a piece which is a ****ing STEAL!

That's such a good deal for those tires. :bowdown:

ViciousJay

Established Member
That's such a good deal for those tires. :bowdown:

heck yea, i just looked again they are 193 now but i just looked on my old records on Tirerack and it was 391 shipped which is good... theyve bee quiet as heck and perfect from day one

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
13,500K miles on my Pirelli's
Still have some life left in em.
Ive cut a 1.9 60 ft with em

These are the PZero 255/40/19's that come with the brembo car though, not the Nero's

I think im gonna go with the Conti Extreme DW's next, my buddy with an ISF swears by em.

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
13,500K miles on my Pirelli's
Still have some life left in em.
Ive cut a 1.9 60 ft with em

These are the PZero 255/40/19's that come with the brembo car though, not the Nero's

I think im gonna go with the Conti Extreme DW's next, my buddy with an ISF swears by em.

they are pretty decent for an all season

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
Ok i'm going to throw my 2 cents in here because I just got new tires a few months back and I'm am very very impressed by them. Keep in mind this is on a 2v with only 400rw torque, since you have a lot more power op.

A little back story, I had 17inch bullitts with 10.5inch wheels in the back. I bought goodyear f1 g/s d3 315's for the back because they had decent reviews on the tirerack and they were goodyears most extreme summer tire at the time but still fairly safe in the wet.

Well I only had those on for 400 miles because they wouldnt hookup for jack in first second or third. So i decided to take them off and not worry about hydroplaning so much and I slapped on some 315 nitto drag radials which I found were perfect for my power level and they simply hooked when heated up.

Well this summer I switched over to 18 inch saleen reps with 18x10.5 in back, so I decided to go back to a non-drag radial tire again. I went with hankook Ventus V12 evo k110 295/30/18 and I couldnt be happier. I can launch the car fairly clean with these tires with some wheel spin but even if i just drop the hammer they spin but then they hook very well even though i'm giving the throttle the lead foot. They will spin to the top of second and then hook even with the hammer down trying to burn out purposly.

I used to spin in third with the 315 goodyears. I think for the money these ventus v12's are amazing. They seem to be inbetween the performance of a good drag radial and regular street tire.

I payed a little over 200 bucks for each tire, and when you compare that to the 350 bucks a piece for the goodyears, the hankooks are a real value.

Just wanted to throw that little bit of info for you. I've found that a super expensive street tire doesnt necessarily mean good performance. Some food for thought before you go buying those uber expensive michelins.

djclark

Established Member
It may move out nicely, but lets be honest. The only way a Nissan Maxima is going to see "12s" - is with a bolt on called nitrous. How many primed 100 shot maxims are you going to come across ? He can confidently laugh at Maximas - as they probably run high 13s @ 98-102 MPH. At this point, they probably run slower due to age. fwiw I used to destroy "bolt-on" maximas in my blown 3.8 Regal GS w/ real bolt ons - pulley/header/tune. i can only imagine what the 5.0L would do to one...

This. My buddy has a bone stock 2002 Maxima. Gets up and goes real nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread