Anyone running sub frame connectors?

Nuar

Established Member
I remember a post from I think BBR? (MAYBE?!) where the car got destroyed in an accident but the subframes essentially kept the car in one piece keeping the driver "safe"...
So there has to be SOME benefit to those.

scott_0

Established Member
wet noodle Fox bodies need(ed) them bad, us not so much

Jabooh1

Established Member
I will get them eventually. They add something and will provide a great jacking point. However they are not high in the list.

Bud

Established Member
Not sure about a car that goes around corners, but mine has been 1.25 60's without a problem and JPC has been 1.1x without them. Thinking they aren't necessary in a drag application, to be fair both our cars are lighter though.

BMR Tech

Something to keep in mind, the S197 chassis is about 30~% more rigid than the 79-04 platform. The S550 is about 17% more rigid than the S197.

chao5.0

Established Member
even with a track car sub frame connectors aren't necessary because these cars chassis are a lot better than previous years. if you are going all out to the point of needing cage then yeah I would put them in then because you can never have a chassis that is to stiff in a race car (which is why the cage is needed). for a street car the stock chassis is plenty stiff enough.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
S-197's don't need them!

I remember a post from I think BBR? (MAYBE?!) where the car got destroyed in an accident but the subframes essentially kept the car in one piece keeping the driver "safe"...
So there has to be SOME benefit to those.

This was me.

you can see how the passenger side started to bend
v58ot2.jpg

the impact
29p4w8w.jpg

You can see how the ladder style kept together as the single bar bent

30jti4x.jpg

These cars are STILL a uni-body and can flex. Jack up your car on one side and see it twist. Subframes are just as important as they were then. Your connecting the body. Which will allow better transfer on launches and keep it together on turns.

I trust them very much.

Nuar

Established Member
Thanks for re-posting that Steve. I knew I wasn't going crazy... not far off, but not quite there yet :p

Torchy

Established Member
I have my car or another coyote on a jack and stands just about every weekend. The chassis has a TON of flex in them. You will not see much of that flex using a 2 post lift. OP take this FWIW.

Other side of the coin is Buds statement.

vortecd

Established Member
I was going back and forth on the Lakewood and the Stifflers. I ended up buying the Lakewoods. We installed the Lakewood subframe connectors 30201 yesterday on my car. I bought them since they wrapped around the control arm. We did have to grind some metal off of them at the top of the control arm mounts since we couldn't get them high enough to get the bolts through the control arms. I see why Stifflers only goes on one side of the control arm, there is a bracket and nut on the inside mount that you have to remove and flatten the bracket. The Stifflers you wouldn't have to do that since they only mount on the outside. Would have been nice to have both to mock up on the car and decide which I liked better. Only had pics I could find online to decide which to buy. Found this video so it gives you an idea of what they are

http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories...akewood-s197-mustang-rear-suspension-install/

Users who are viewing this thread