Anyone running the KB Cool Air Intake?

Mustang Buster

Established Member
I currently have a 98 Mustang Cobra with a 1.7L KB installed, but I am still running the stock air intake with just a K&N filter. I am about to add a a 90mm Lightning MAF and a Bassani X-Pipe and get another dyno tune, so I would like to add one of the KB Cool Air kits before the retune. I was going to go with a JLT Intake, but my Cobra is a convertible, so I want to use a STB, which won't work with the JLT. So, I figured I could run this air intake, and still use a STB and get performance probably just as good as with the JLT. Anyone have any opinions or experience with this CAI? Below is the kit I am referring to:

Kenne Bell Cobra Cool Air Kit

I previously posted this in KB Tech, but got no answer.

Thanks!

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
im sure ity will work but i do not see a big increase over the set up you have, i ran my 1.5 with a LMAF and stock intake tube with a big filter and it was just fine...i did have to cut the bottom of the stock tube to make the LMAF fit as it is considerably bigger than the stocker... Also what are you doing with your stock MAF? i need one

96S/Cobra

Established Member
OP - I have most of the KB cold air that I am not using anymore. If you would be interested in buying it from me much cheaper than from KB, send me a pm with your email address and I can send a few pics to you. Just so you know, the reason I'm not using it anymore is because I sold my KB and now have an intercooled Vortech set up on my car now, thus this kit is no longer useful for me.

And to Rio Red Snake - I have the factory MAF from my 96 cobra that I'm not using, so if you would be interested in it send me a pm with your email address and I can send you a few pics of it as well.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^ 96S/Cobra.. How did it work out for you at around 400rwhp??

Last edited:

96S/Cobra

Established Member
^^ 96S/Cobra.. How did it work out for you at around 400rwhp??

I guess it worked out just fine. I don't really have any before and after comparason numbers though. I only bought the kit from kb considering I had the 1.5L and wanted to eliminate the factory air box so that's what I went with.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Gotcha.. The OP is a friend of mine and I actually have his car right now and will be doing the work. We've been going back and forth a little bit on the intake. I think it'll work fine for 400rwhp personally, that's all the OP is looking for anyways.

Mustang Buster

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys, it is nice to hear that at least one of you has used this CAI with success.

RIO RED--It will be a couple more months before we get the Lightning MAF installed, as I am still in Alaska. So we will still need the stock one until then. Sounds like you would be better off getting the stock MAF from 96S/Cobra now.

96S/Cobra--Sent you a PM with my email address, please send some pics, I am interested in what you have got.

Thanks again guys, hopefully 98 Saleen Cobra and I can get mine to 400rwhp with a few more mods!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Hey craig, I think it'll work just fine, if you can pick it up used that's an added bonus depending on the condition :). You can just have it shipped to me so it's here when you arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread