anyone smoke ribs?

96badvenm

Established Member
just bought an electric smoker from bass pro shop, and am going to try some ribs next week. I was going to get a few different rubs and try each one on a seperate rack, and am going to be using hickory chips, and apple juice in the water pan. going to heat it up to about 225 and smoke them for 5 hours or so. thought about spraying them with apple juice/water every once ina while, and wrapping them in foil for a while as well

Who here has experience smoking ribs, or other meats, and what has worked best for you

Sleepin96

Established Member
I Run a Smokehouse restaurant, we smoke ribs (baby and spare), pork, brisket and turkey. I would assume you are smoking spare ribs? We smoke everything with black jack oak. We put a rub that consist of brown sugar, rotisserie, paprika and some other stuff. Smoke for aabout 4-6 hours at 225. a good way to tell if they are done is to bend the meat back and if the meat tears off, then you are good to go. We baste with a sauce when we cut and serve them. Any other questions give me a shout.

Brian

96badvenm

Established Member
I Run a Smokehouse restaurant, we smoke ribs (baby and spare), pork, brisket and turkey. I would assume you are smoking spare ribs? We smoke everything with black jack oak. We put a rub that consist of brown sugar, rotisserie, paprika and some other stuff. Smoke for aabout 4-6 hours at 225. a good way to tell if they are done is to bend the meat back and if the meat tears off, then you are good to go. We baste with a sauce when we cut and serve them. Any other questions give me a shout.

Brian

i hadnt decided on spares or baby back. which do you think would be better?

oldmodman

Established Member
I love smoking beef ribs. Give them a good rub and mop while cooking. I have experimented with different woods too. I found mesquite to be too intense for most people. Hickory is a good wood to start with. I try to stay away from oak. The most interesting flavor was from apple wood. A neighbor cut down a tree and I asked for the wood before he had it hauled away. I cooked a brisket on it and it was great. But it's a difficult wood to find.

Sleepin96

Established Member
With the baby back, we only cook them for 2 hours in the smoker and then another 2 hours in the over in a pan with some bbq sauce , water mixture. Spares we just leave in the smoker. We dont smoke beef ribs, only pork. Never tried any other type of wood. We use oak because it is fairly cheap and easy to get. Hope all goes well!

Brian

B-O-B'03

Established Member
I have one of those stacked smokers, but it uses charcoal, instead of electricity.

I put a mixture of beer and water in the pan and use hickory and pecan for smoke.

If you can find it live oak is a great wood for adding flavor.

For a treat, 30 minutes before the meat is done... put a few ears of corn at the top of the smoker , smoked corn is the shit.

-Brian

MachsFastr

Established Member
I do beef ribs on my smoker(charcoal). Mine is indirect heating and I do not use a water/juice bowl. I let them soak overnight in "stuff", wrap them in the morning(foil) and put them on the grill for about 6 hours. 30 minutes before taking off they get doused in bbq sauce. :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread