anyone that has p1443 CEL code and hesitation, this fixes it..

97cobraheaven

Established Member
So after having some hesitation issues and some of you guys reporting the same problem, i have replaced my charcoal canister purge valve. That fixed my problem and really woke the car up.. she pulls hard all the way through and it made a huge diffence in performance. I was shocked that this could cause such a hinderance on performance. I am also replacing the charcoal canister because it is cheap and dont want there to be a weak link. So those of you with CEL on and hesitation, get your codes pulled and look for that code. I hope this atleast helps for future reference and searches.

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
Well I just got a check engine code last night.. I hope its this bc I checked everything I could think of by sign and the connectors are ok :( Bringing the car tomorrow after work to napa to get a code

96RagTop

Too slow, car wont go.
Established Member
How long did it take you to replace the valve? Ive had that code on since i bought the car.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
96RagTop said:
How long did it take you to replace the valve? Ive had that code on since i bought the car.
It takes about two minutes. All unplug and replug. The valve is located at the top of the passengerside cowl. It has a hose and wire connector plugged on it. Get the replacement part from Ford ($20+/-). It'll help you find the bad valve.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Why does anyone drive around with a CEL and reduced performance? Afraid of what they'll find wrong? Keyword here: wrong. It's broke, so fix it before it gets worse.

scuzzdude2587

Established Member
Yeah, if you fix that code gas mileage will get a boost too. I was gettin 18mpg h/w when i bought it, fixed that code with the new valve, now i get 22. It's easy as hell, takes 2 seconds. Pull 2 hoses off, and a wire connector, put the new one in. MAKE SURE THAT THE VALVE IS FACING THE RIGHT WAY!!!! One of the hose connectors is higher up then the other, I can't remember which is which, just take note of it when you remove the old clogged one so you put the new one on correctly.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
97, do you happen to have the part number? I think I remember seeing this code a while back and I never fixed it, if it's only $20 I'll just buy a new one and swap it out :)

96RagTop

Too slow, car wont go.
Established Member
NVENOM8U said:
Anyone have a pic on the canister and valve location?

Also intrested. I had been told that you had to take the wheel well liner out and it was in there before?

97cobraheaven

Established Member
you can get both parts from Oreillys. the purge valve was $40 and the canister is $25. the canister is in the wheel well, passenger side. easy to get to but the liner is kinda a bitch with the 2 plastic clips. i have not replaced the canister yet, it gets here this week.

97cobraheaven

Established Member
Ciotti, i do not remember the part number, but it is on the part itself. pull the rubber slip off and its right there, take it to Oriellys and they will find it.

96RagTop

Too slow, car wont go.
Established Member
Anyone have pics plaese? Looking for it so i have the right part number to order it.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
I hate to excavate this thread from 7 months ago, but it's got a ton of good information... Anyone know the actual part number for our charcoal canister purge valve? Mine doesn't have the part number on it and I'm pretty sure it needs to be replaced.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
SuperG said:
What's the purpose of this canister?

It's a charcoal canister. It's in the pass. side fender. You have to take out the fender liner and it'll be a black box under the antenna. The purpose of it is to catch gas vapors from the tank, so they don't vent into the atmosphere. The purge valve, or solenoid, purges the vapors into the motor under the right conditions where they are burned with the normal air/fuel mixture and out the exhaust with everything else..

Solenoid or purge valve is circled (note: this is a 5.0. 4.6 might be diff., but gives a general idea)

Pic of the canister under the fender. The line I highlighted is the one going to the purge valve.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread