Anyone that upgraded 460 to MACH 1000 with kit

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Dammit ... I'm stuck with the bid on the mach 1000 head unit. Did anyone notice that the display looks like it has a big scuff/gash mark on it?

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
yea, I did kinda think the front display looks cracked on the right edge/side. I figured I would swap out the display and face plate for the new one on my mach 460 head unit.

At least if you really do win it, you can tell us for SURE if the head unit makes any difference, cuz you'll have both to plug in to the exact same car and test back to back. Hehehe.

Last edited:

03'Darin

Established Member
Originally posted by AtomHeart
Well...right now my confidence level is pretty low. Once someone gets this system hooked to a Visteon mach460 head unit, and tells me for sure that backseat mode sounds like mach 1000 mode, then I'll be cool, but right now, it doesn't sound like the people who MAKE this stereo equipment are even that knowledgeable about what this extra circuit board does, or what the "mach" button on the mach 1000 head unit does.

For now, I'll just keep what I've got and when my car gets here, I'll install it and see what it sounds like. If it sounds like crap with barely any bass, and backseat mode doesn't do much to help, I'll buy a mach 1000 head unit at that time and see if that fixes things.

Darin03...hope replacing your circuitboard fixes everything for ya! Good luck man.

The people that ACTUALLY make the kit don't even speak english!! Hell......if I wanted to know what the boxes said that the Mach 1000 came in I would have needed a translator. The boxes did have some english on them.......... BUT not very much.

It's just a bitch that the people that market and sell the kit don't even know what they are talking about. It's no different than when most of you guys go try and buy an SVT product and the salesman doesn't know anything.

Darin

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Haha...that's a good point. Why should this be any different than anything else I buy. I'm affraid someday I'll actually meet a knowledgeable salesperson, and die of a heart attack.

03'Darin

Established Member
Speaking of salespeople that don't know anything......that reminds me I need to update my signature. I've now got 17 years of........practice......yeah that's it.......practice under my belt. WooooooHoooooo!!

Edit: Damn that sounds like I'm getting old. I better start playing harder!!:-D

Last edited:

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Holy schnoikeys!

Visteon just wrote me via e-mail and gave me this definitive answer!

"Eric,
With the MACH 460 radio head the extra sub-amps will always be on when the
radio is on. With the MACH 1000 radio head the MACH button will turn them on
and off, so both systems are the same except the 1000 you can turn the extra
sub-amps on & off. "

AWESOME!

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
hmm been looking into this as well.

The local dealer here said there isnt any difference between
the head units, but the mach 1000 head unit can turn off the
the extra mach 1000 stuff, in off mode its just like a 460 suppossedly.

Which is pretty much what the cobra manual says too, has a little section on the mach 1000.

I also noticed though that there is a extra fuse (slot for a fuse) just for the mach 1000. Dont suppose you fill this in when you install the add on kit? (as in maybe there is some pre wiring already there?)

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Visteon told me otherwise on the phone. wtf! Who to believe?

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
oh great. LOL Its a test it and see kinda situation I think. We aint gonna know till we TRY it.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
You guys are seeing how much fun it is to add compatible parts from the same company to the Mach 460. Ford really made this a difficult system to add to. It's not too hard to add a sub and amp to the Mach 460 if what you want is more bass. Adding an equalizer or new midrange/tweeter speakers and amps is another story. In that case, it is much easier to take the whole POS system out and start over.

03'Darin

Established Member
Originally posted by BuffDigits
hmm been looking into this as well.

The local dealer here said there isnt any difference between
the head units, but the mach 1000 head unit can turn off the
the extra mach 1000 stuff, in off mode its just like a 460 suppossedly.

Which is pretty much what the cobra manual says too, has a little section on the mach 1000.

I also noticed though that there is a extra fuse (slot for a fuse) just for the mach 1000. Dont suppose you fill this in when you install the add on kit? (as in maybe there is some pre wiring already there?)

The wiring in the "upgrade" kit has two inline fuses for the power feed lines.

I asked Adrian if there was a way for me to test the crossover board and he didn't know. He said I should just replace it. I'm sure that would be easy.......getting Radios and More to get me the part......then splicing the new one in. It sure would be alot easier if someone could tell me how to do some simple electrical tests to determine where my problem is. I am getting power to the subs but not what it should be and my other speakers don't sound any different than with the Mach 460.:shrug:

Oh yeah........still no call back from Adrian with the part #.

Darin

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by ChicagoMike
Dammit ... I'm stuck with the bid on the mach 1000 head unit. Did anyone notice that the display looks like it has a big scuff/gash mark on it?

It also looks like someone had some big greasy fingers adjusting the volumn knob. The faceplate behind the volumn knob is all smudged. Probably needs a good cleaning, thats all.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Yup. My max bid was $206. Someone tried to snipe at $205. CLOSE CALL! Woohoo!

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Hahaha...I thought you didn't WANT to win the auction. Hmmph. Well, congrats then. Whatcha gonna do with it?

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Long story ;)

I suck! lol ... also, that's the camera flash and shadows on the head .... I was talking to the seller prior to winning the bid

03'Darin

Established Member
Still no call back from Adrian at Visteon. :nonono: :nonono:

I drove the 97' today for the first time since installing the Mach 1000.......uh maybe that's Mach 100. I think the Mach 460 in my 03' sounds better than this.

I will have to call Adrian back as soon as I get a minute.:bash:

BAD03SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by B03Cobra
All I think the stock system needed was a little low end, so added a 350 watt JL and 10" JL sub, and mounted it all onto a board with carpet, and made a quick release to take it out. I think the stock system is pretty darn good.

can you take a pic of that if you get a chance

03'Darin

Established Member
Still no call from Adrian. Maybe what he meant to tell me was, I'll just forget about it.......call me and remind me in a couple of days when you get tired of waiting. I just left a message on his voice mail.

I turned one of my AC/DC cd's on in my 03', then put it in my wifes 97' and I think it sounded better in my 03'. So I pulled a plug from one of the Mach 1000 amps to see what it would do and there was no difference in sound. I don't think the amps from the 1000 kit are getting any power. Before I replace the crossover board I am going to make sure the system is getting power back to the board. I'm off tomorrow and will work on it then.

Darin

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Ok, further analysis of the 3 modes of each head, and ONE mode must always be selected:

DRIVERS SEAT:

460 & 1000 sound identical. Volume and acoustics are all faded to the front speakers for optimal driver's seat sound, maybe some SLIGHT volume in the rear speakers.

ALL SEATS:

The 1000 has added bass in the rear over the 460, but it's not thumping and not very noticeable. This is the worst sounding mode in my opinion.

REAR SEATS (460 only):

Majority of the sound is faded to the rear speakers, and you can put the bass and treble all the way up and crank the volume over halfway and have some nice bass coming out vs. the above modes which distort if you have the bass up and crank the volume. Highs are drowned out a little.

MACH 1000 (1000 only):

The sound system makes a drastic transformation. With the bass and treble all the way up, the system seems to have been designed for this. Highs are faded to the front, lows are faded to the back, giving it a surround sound and movie theater feel. The bass from the rear MOVES you in your seat at less than 1/2 volume. It sounds clean, and the bass does not drown out the highs since they are redirected to the front. Mid-range even seems a little less present, as if some pre-programmed invisible equalization happens in this mode.

I'm going to do what it takes to make it sound like the factory Mach 1000. I have the head unit, ordering the rear kit - so I think the answers will be in the wiring.

Users who are viewing this thread