Anyone try Synchromesh in a T56?

LeddZepp8687

Yes, It's slow.
Established Member
Trying to figure out this weird shifting issue I recently experienced... Car seems kinda hard to get into nearly any gear when stopped and is somewhat unbearable at full throttle. Even if you try to granny shift it just doesn't wanna let you into gear.

Clutch is definitely disengaging when stopped, Or so it seems. I was thinking of trying a fluid change before anything to see what it'll do. Car has 60k on it also so it really couldn't hurt.

According to Ford Installer support you should use Dex III in the T56... Synchromesh is a superior alternative and is pretty versatile. I have put it in other trannys without any bad side effects but I'd like to see if anyone else has tried it in this trans first.

TIA

svtrookie

Established Member
I have the same issues and I have decided to go with synchromesh in the next few weeks after reading this post. Check it out. . .

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/driveline-216/600673-hard-shifting-come-fix.html\

Straight from Tremec:

"Thank you for your interest in the Tremec product line. I am sure that you are enjoying your new T-56. We recommend GM Syncromesh fluid produced by Pennzoil. This is the best fluid to use in your transmission. Please contact us if you require further assistance.

Regards,

Rob"

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I put Pennzoil Syncromesh in my tranny a few hundred miles ago. Made a huge difference.

03mgtermi

Established Member
i was having hard shifting issues exactly as you described. took it to a kwiklube and had fluid changed (dex III) and there was no change whatsoever. after some research, i swapped the fluid for syncromesh. that seemed to cut down on the noise and make my shifts a tiny bit better but didn't come close to solving the problem. i then installed a new clutch cable, firewall adjuster, and quadrant from steeda ($100). link:

Steeda 96-04 Mustang Clutch Adjuster Kit [555-7041] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

after some dialing in of the clutch adjustment, my hard shifts disappeared. super easy to daily drive now and shifts smoothly at WOT. my advice as someone who labored for several weekends trying to solve the problem is to mess with clutch adjustment first. things stretch and work themselves out of adjustment and just need to be freshened up. if you already have these things installed, double check the adjustment. if not, a good installation guide can be found here. that said, changing fluid in accordance with the proper maintenance schedule never hurts and i am still running the syncromesh with no problems. hope this helps, and good luck.

R3dn3k Flyby

Vivid Racing
Established Member
I put the Pennzoil Synchromesh in mine about 6 months back and have been pleased with it.

Make sure your clutch is adjusted properly as well. I was having some minor issues before swapping the fluid and I think it was more of an adjustment issue than it was a fluid issue.

geoffw

Boost Addict
Established Member
Liek everyone else is saying...Adjust your clutch properly and use Syncromesh and the tranny should shift fine.

My 215,000 mile t56 shifts like new with syncromesh and a good adjustment.

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
Clutch is definitely disengaging when stopped, Or so it seems.
Get on a flat surface & put it in 1st, press in clutch & rev to 4-5K. You shouldn't move at all.

FWIW I tried Synchromesh & others but ended up using RP Synchromax. I liked it better than the others I tried.

LeddZepp8687

Yes, It's slow.
Established Member
thanks for all the help guys... I'll try some synchromesh.... If nothing else, at least the fluid is new.

If I need to buy a firewall adjuster and a new quadrant I will.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
i have a tremec tko600 and that is the only fluid that tremec recommends

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My '03 was shifting a bit hard and I tried Syncromesh. I didn't notice any difference at all. The dealer had warmed me this would happen. So I ended up going back to the regular fluid for easier winter shifting. I know many swear by it. I just didn't see any improvement in my case.

jeffs

Established Member
I've tried Penzoil's synchromesh, wich is the same as GM's, and I've tried Royal purple's synchromax, now I'm using the cheapest Autozone atf I can find, because I haven't seen a difference in any, now that I have my spec3 clutch all sorted out, I'm powershifting better than I ever have to date.

662rwtq

Established Member
What does the syncromesh do for the tranny helps out the sycros is it self explanitory ir am I missing something

RedfireSVT

Established Member
i've been using royal purple synchromesh in my car for 4 years and i love it. smooth as can be. like already said i'll bet you need to adjust your clutch cable at the very least.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
I put Pennzoil Syncromesh in my tranny a few hundred miles ago. Made a huge difference.

Same stuff im running as of a little less than 3000 miles ago. Tranny shifts smooth like butter whether im shifting slow or shifting at high RPM's but i still have that "clunk/slack" that everyone seems to have. When i put my car in 1st from neutral at a light, it clunks like the slack is coming out of the drivetrain somewhere. I posted about this as i am anal about my car and thinking it has some sort of issue only to find out its common on these car. Doesnt make a difference to how the car runs/drives/shifts, just a little annoying.

I plan to do the quadrant, f/w adjuster soon. I adjusted the clutch as best i could with what i have and it fixed it alot but i could use the extra adjustment anyway.

Last edited:

1967eleanor

factory spoiler delete yo
Established Member
i put some in my 36,000 mile tranny, no grinds otherwise, deff helped with shifting, esp at the track.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
there is another thread that addresses this issue somewhere. someone actually contacted tremec, and they said to use the penzoil syncromesh. what do they know tho!

Users who are viewing this thread