Anyone unhappy with their Bassani setup?

Eric03Cobra

Established Member
I'm thinking about getting the Bassani catted x-pipe and cat-back and wonder if anyone is unhappy with their setup. I've not had a chance to hear this setup on an 03 Cobra in person but I've heard a lot of sound clips.

I'm wanting something that fits this car sound wise. The stock setup is just too quiet. I want that deep muscle car tone that is louder than stock in general then screams at WOT.

I've read a lot about the quality of the Bassani and how it's second to none. I've also read different post that talk about cabin drone with other systems. How is this with the Bassani? I normally cruise on the Highway around 2k RPMs or higher.

Right now it looks like RPMoutlet http://www.rpmoutlet.com/03cobradynotune.htm is the place to get both the x-pipe and cat back for $1099.00

Anyone know of any place to get better pricing.

Thanks for the help.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I love mine. I did have an exhaust leak develope on upstream side of driver cat due to a faulty clamp. I replace all 4 clamps on the cats with dynomax 3" band clamps.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ah yes, the infamous "drone". There is so much opinion on the drone produced by various exhaust systems and mixes thereof that you're best off trying very hard to find someone in your area who has a setup similar to what you're looking for. Then decide. My own personal experience showed me that my Magnaflow catted-X-pipe was a drone factor, but the catback made it worse. I switched to a Steeda catback and now the only drone I get is starting from idle when the engine is cold. After it warms up a couple of minutes there is no drone to speak of. On the highway the exhaust is a bit loud, of course, but I don't have any droning.

Some say the Bassani baffles help to reduce drone, but my own try with them didn't result in a appreciable reduction in the drone I was getting. It was only after I switched to the Steeda catback that the drone disappeared.

One less comment. Because the exhaust is loud anyway, there is often an overlap of "drone" vs. "loudness". So the majority of Bassani users, for example, are very happy with their systems. It seems only a minority really have a droning issue. I'm convinced most of it is in our heads.
:lol1:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I had more drone with baffles in, button on parking brake buzzed like a mofo, once I pulled baffles drone, and buzzing went away.

Eric03Cobra

Established Member
I'd love to find someone in this area who has this setup. Anyone around the Mid-Missouri (read mid-missery) area?

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I love my Bassani's. Had em on my 02GT, and last week I put em on my Cobra. They sound amazing, loud, deap, bassy and mean! Hey KBCobra...I remember on my 02 GT, that when I took my baffles out, the car got very loud, and I loved the sound, but i swear I lost some low end tq. What did you notice when you took yours out?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by mike79
I love my Bassani's. Had em on my 02GT, and last week I put em on my Cobra. They sound amazing, loud, deap, bassy and mean! Hey KBCobra...I remember on my 02 GT, that when I took my baffles out, the car got very loud, and I loved the sound, but i swear I lost some low end tq. What did you notice when you took yours out?
I noticed a low end TQ loss when the bassani system went on, but could have been from the leak or the upstream O2 I had go bad. I fixed those problems after the KB instal though and I have moster torque now. I honestly didnt notice a SOP change by pulling baffles and the noise wasnt even noticably louder. Seemed to be a tad deeper and not so ear peircing with the baffles out and drone is pretty much gone.

JSHTROD

Established Member
Originally posted by Eric03Cobra
I'm thinking about getting the Bassani catted x-pipe and cat-back and wonder if anyone is unhappy with their setup.

To be honest, I think it's a bit too loud.

I commute 80miles a day. At freeway speeds, and that drone WILL kick your ass. And people say the Bassani is one of the quieter ones?

Another thing... The sound quality of the Bassani system is very different from others. It has a higher pitched, racecar/exotic sound. Not the typical flowmaster mustang rumble. VERYVERY different.

IMHO, it sounds amazing at WOT. BUT... not so nice down low.

:nonono:

maoun

Established Member
my only complaint is that when the engine is being floored on a sharp turn it hits my griggs k-member......makes a horrible knocking sound....so i shaved the k-member down

other than that, what's there to complain about?

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
I love my Bassani X-pipe (uncatted) :D

The Bassani Cat Back was one of the loadest at the cruise :beer:

I got the drone but i like the drone :shrug:

jfclague

Established Member
I have both the Catted X-Pipe and Cat-Back Exhaust. I have to say they are a little loud (especially with the A/C running). I has taken a little time to get use to but I really like the performance improvement.

I will definately be installing sound-deadening material this fall to help with the noise of the exhaust and the rest of the car.

Goldy

Established Member
I've got the '03 Bassani system (x-pipe w/cats, catback and now mid-length headers). I'm very happy with the entire system.

Regarding the drone, yeah, there's what I consider to be a little of it, but it does not bother me in the least. I run the car without the baffles. Then again, it's a convertible and I almost always drive it with the roof down.

Something else to consider is the '99/01 Bassani X-pipe and Bassani cat back for the '03 Cobra. The '99/01 parts fit the '03, but sound a little 'more mellow'. Should you consider this, you may want to contact Bassani for details (advantages/disadvantages of using the '99/01 system as opposed to the '03 system on the '03 Cobra). Also should you consider the Bassani mid-length headers, they only fit the '03 x-pipe.

Good Luck

Goldy

Established Member
Originally posted by JSHTROD
Why? Does that make it sound better?

Well, it does in my opinion but not everybody will agree. I sounds very similar to the stock exhaust manifold until you 'accelerate vigorously', and then it's a bit louder, as well as a bit more raspy.

The exhaust headers get you more power. How much, I couldn't exactly tell you as I've not dyno'd my car after installing them. But, I can tell you it is a very noticable difference.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
I noticed a low end TQ loss when the bassani system went on, but could have been from the leak or the upstream O2 I had go bad. I fixed those problems after the KB instal though and I have moster torque now. I honestly didnt notice a SOP change by pulling baffles and the noise wasnt even noticably louder. Seemed to be a tad deeper and not so ear peircing with the baffles out and drone is pretty much gone.

I noticed that too. The loss of low end TQ. There has to be a way to combat that. Chip n pully, here I come I guess.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
Bassani sounds awesome and if you get the x-pipe with the cat back there is barely any drone at all. Trust me, I've experienced drone and this is nothing.

eddy z

Established Member
i have the bassani catted x and cat back, running w/o the baffles... I have run the car both with the baffles in and out. I must say, with the baflles out, the car sounds so good, and mean. There is a drone at 2000rpm's but nothing that you do not get use to. Actually, i like the drone sound, as it sounds tough.. I typically drive my car aggressive, and wind out each gear. I just like the sound what the bassani exhaust produces at all ranges through out each gear.

I have not really driven the car on the interstates yet, long enough to see if the drone is anyoning or not. Around town, you can control and elimate the drone based upon what gears your in and how fast or slow you want to go.

Keep in mind, i drive with the top down, most of the time. So, the drone and exhaust sound is much different vs a coupe as one could imagine.

I have not heard any other systems on our cars, so i cannot comapre the bassani to other systems.

Yes, i did notice i lost a slight low end torque when installed the system, but gained so much more power as a result.

All and all, i am quite pleased with the sound and performance. No regrets...

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Eric, also check Houston Performance. I got the cat back set up from them two weeks ago. With shipping it cost me 670. Not sure what the x pipe goes for. Give em a call though. 281-893-6080

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Goldy
Well, it does in my opinion but not everybody will agree. I sounds very similar to the stock exhaust manifold until you 'accelerate vigorously', and then it's a bit louder, as well as a bit more raspy.
I heard Bassin247's Bassini mid-lengths (with Bassani catted X-pipe and catback) last weekend and agree totally with the way you describe the sound different with the midlength headers. If I were buying the headers it wouldn't be to get a sound change because the change isn't very dramatic. It would be for a power increase. And they're sweet to look at.
:)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Eric03Cobra
I'd love to find someone in this area who has this setup. Anyone around the Mid-Missouri (read mid-missery) area?
Why not start a thread with the heading 'Paging Cobra Owners In The Mid-Missouri area? Or contact the local SVTOA group in Missouri and see if they have a list of owners you can check. Just some thoughts.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread