Anyone use Lucas Oil Stabilizer?

Canebrake

Velocity Junkie
Established Member
We are a dealer for their stuff here at my motorcycle shop. We sell a ton of it to our customers and some people swear by it. I just wondered if anyone used it in their Cobra, and if they saw any improvement in running temps, wear resistance, engine noise, etc? Has anyone tried it in their transmission? I'm curious to see if the claims Lucas and my customers make are based on fact more than simple opinion.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Oil companies put additive packages that are meant to work together with exact blends. When you introduce another additive you throw off all the additive package that the oil company was trying to achieve.

I would not put any additive to my oil even if it were free!

Since you asked about Lucas specifically, here is a good read for you. :read:
What about Additives?

metaman

Established Member
I have been running the Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer with Mobil One 5w30 for 80k miles with no adverse side effects. Do you need it? I am not sure if I need it or not. What I do know is that at 107K miles the car still starts pulls better than new and never smokes or has piston slap on start up.

Some have reported that not running it causes no adverse side effects, they are probably right. I personally keep putting it in on the oil changes because of my awareness that cold starts are what really wear motors out. I think that is the main thing that it helps with.

TVSCobra

Established Member
The VOA on Lucas oil Stabilizer did show anything that was so magical. I thick carrier oil with some additives in it. The STP stuff actually has moly, zinc and phosphurous in it. Since the EPA is making the oil companies take a good bit of zinc and phosphurous out of the oil, because they claim these additives "poison" cats. I choose an oil and it rated "SL" or an oil that is rated ACEA A3 like Castrol GC.

I will try the BMW Syntethic 5w-30 soon because I can get it for 4 bucks a quart. Its a group IV/V syn, rated SL, AECA A3 and BMW uses it on 15000+ oil service intervals on the factory maintance plan. I would not use the Lucas, not because I think it will harm anything but it is a waste.

Since the EPA is cutting the amount of zinc and phosphurous in SM rated oils, not sure how long the SL rated stuff will still be around. I have stocked up on Castrol GC when it is on sale. Redline oils have lots, I mean lots of Zinc/phosphurous and moly in them. But redline is expensive, you get what you pay for. I change mine so often 3000-5000 miles, I'll stick with the cheaper synthetics. Check out www.bobistheoilguy.com for lots of information on oil.

Riceater52910

Established Member
Its simply an oil "thickener". Therefore yes it adheres to the upper parts of your motor for a longer period of time though. Tests have shown that it causes problems with the add packs in modern oils. A test performed using Delo 400 showed that lucas oil stabilizer cancelled out the anti foaming agents in the oil.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The VOA on Lucas oil Stabilizer did show anything that was so magical. I thick carrier oil with some additives in it. The STP stuff actually has moly, zinc and phosphurous in it. Since the EPA is making the oil companies take a good bit of zinc and phosphurous out of the oil, because they claim these additives "poison" cats. I choose an oil and it rated "SL" or an oil that is rated ACEA A3 like Castrol GC.

I will try the BMW Syntethic 5w-30 soon because I can get it for 4 bucks a quart. Its a group IV/V syn, rated SL, AECA A3 and BMW uses it on 15000+ oil service intervals on the factory maintance plan. I would not use the Lucas, not because I think it will harm anything but it is a waste.

Since the EPA is cutting the amount of zinc and phosphurous in SM rated oils, not sure how long the SL rated stuff will still be around. I have stocked up on Castrol GC when it is on sale. Redline oils have lots, I mean lots of Zinc/phosphurous and moly in them. But redline is expensive, you get what you pay for. I change mine so often 3000-5000 miles, I'll stick with the cheaper synthetics. Check out www.bobistheoilguy.com for lots of information on oil.

Why are you needing so much Zinc and Phos in a Mod Motor? I don't see any flat tappets anywhere?:shrug:

Canebrake

Velocity Junkie
Established Member
Oil companies put additive packages that are meant to work together with exact blends. When you introduce another additive you throw off all the additive package that the oil company was trying to achieve.

I would not put any additive to my oil even if it were free!

Since you asked about Lucas specifically, here is a good read for you. :read:
What about Additives?

That link was eye opening and quite a shock. No additives for me, thanks. I'll stick with my Mobil 1.

Users who are viewing this thread