Anyone watch 'Greyhound' with Tom Hanks yet? I'm watching it now.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
The SBD's (slow but deadly) keeping up with the Zeros in a dogfight and then taking out several with the 2 front .50s made me laugh. Even though the SBD could pull more Gs than the zero (9 vs 6) The A6M had a good <100mph faster top speed over the Dauntless (255mph vs 360+). They leaned quick not to try and turn with our dive bombers.

This is also why the TBD Devastators got obliterated by Japanese fighter protection. While cutting edge in 1935, by 1940 it was obsolete.

With a top speed of 200mph in bombing runs, they'd have to slow to 115mph and ~100m altitude to drop their garbage torpedos. This basically made them easy prey with no possibility to maneuver or defend itself. Crew would also not be able to bail out at that altitude.

Devastator crews where under no delusion of their pending doom. Every squadron that saw action got decimated upon enemy contact. One reason the SBDs had the success they did at Midway was because of the distraction the TBDs caused. SBDs slipped past Japanese fighter cover when those planes attacked the TBDs. Much of the ship AA crews also had to resupply following the TBD's failed assault, also reducing the AA the SBDs would face.

I always loved the way these looked, especially in the Pre-War colors. Not a single one survived the war, it's considered a "holy grail" aircraft for restoration because of its significance.

Screenshot_20200715-073113.jpeg
Douglas-TBD-Devastator-Pre-WWII-Torpedo-Bomber.jpeg
tbd%20devastator.jpeg
douglas-tbd-devastator3.jpeg
tbd-6a.jpeg

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I almost watched it (love the movie concept), but for reasons noted above I can't watch TH anymore. Plus, Apple+ =$5.00 a month and I already am subscribed to too much.

I did watch "The Old Guard" on NetFlix. Ahhhhhh, I tuned in for crazy Charlize Theron (who is starting to look old), because I knew she was supposed to be some uber warrior and I can buy into that (cuz she is a waaaaa-man) if the premise is right. The movie was good, right up until they made two of the man heroes gay, and they mashed. For no apparent reason, all of a sudden, they have to be gay.

The Old Guard let me down.

E

Charlize Theron reveals she is raising adopted son Jackson as a girl

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
I thought Midway was great. What's the problem? I watched it with my mom on a 100" projector screen. She wants to watch it again! I can't get my wife to watch those kind of movies though.
The historical inaccuracies. Horrible CGI. The cinematic approach to the shots. And the dialogue....some of the lines are just plain something people would never say. The story is all over the place. Too much crammed into a single movie. There was no need to revisit pear harbor or the Doolittle raid.

Oh and the bright orange titles.

Doolittle was taken prisoner. He didn't make friends with locals in China as the movie portrayed.

One of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Sent from my SM-G986U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread