Anyone work for the FBI?

RussZTT

Established Member
What does it take to become an Agent in the FBI?
From the agents I have spoken to and also submitted my application a few times. You have to have a 4 yr degree in one of the 7 areas they offer. After you get in, you get sent to Virginia for 17 weeks of training. After that, you get moved to where ever the FBI needs you and you wont know until the training is over. You can't request where you want to go. You also can't move back to your hometown for 9 years and thats IF they have an opening in your town.

bone stock

Established Member
4 year degree in any discipline.
Spotless background.
3 years of full-time work experience.
Serious interviewing skills.

-I'm an intern with a similar agency.

Evenflow

Established Member
4 year degree in any discipline.
Spotless background.
3 years of full-time work experience.
Serious interviewing skills.

-I'm an intern with a similar agency.

Excellent I have all of those...minus 3 years full-time work exp. Only one on that.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
What does it take to become an Agent in the FBI?

From the agents I have spoken to and also submitted my application a few times. You have to have a 4 yr degree in one of the 7 areas they offer. After you get in, you get sent to Virginia for 17 weeks of training. After that, you get moved to where ever the FBI needs you and you wont know until the training is over. You can't request where you want to go. You also can't move back to your hometown for 9 years and thats IF they have an opening in your town.

Excellent I have all of those...minus 3 years full-time work exp. Only one on that.

Go visit the FBI.gov website.

I have actual experience with this topic, unlike everyone else who posted.

You must meet the minimum qualifications even to receive an actual application, not the online interest form. You must have a four year degree with work experience. There are "critical skill" areas that the bureau hires in. They are listed on the website. However, they hire outside those areas when the candidate is highly qualified.

40% of all FBI agents have law degrees. About another 25% have an advanced degree beyond the bachelors degree. The average starting age is 27.

A person will not likely be hired while only meeting the minimum requirements, as there are too many applicants that far exceed the minimums.

Getting a four year degree and advanced degree in multiple critical skill areas is a huge advantage. For instance, getting an undergrad degree in forensic accounting and a law degree. Also, true work experience is a must.

Lastly, there are multiple rounds of testing. You are giving a written exam that is time and is not easy to finish. It is monitored for various factors including watching people who backfill answers after time is called. Then there are two different interview, structured and non-structured. There is the polygraph and drug test. There is the psych and physical test. Lastly the full field T.S. background investigation.

From time of actual application to hire can take upwards of 18 months.

Since 2005 the changed the rules. You can apply to a specific field office now and stay there. You don't have to move every three years as was previously the rule. The training at Quantico is intensive. It is located within the Marine Base.

Here is a good article for you to read.

'Just Don't Quit' - washingtonpost.com

Jaysin

Established Member
That would be a kickass job working for the FBI. What are the different branches? Whats the pay like?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
That would be a kickass job working for the FBI. What are the different branches? Whats the pay like?

Why do you think it would be a "kick ass" job? Because of the way the movies portray it? The agent pay is good. After four years an agent makes over $100K with LEAP and Locality.

Jaysin

Established Member
No, I've always had an interest in the different branches of Law Enforcement. I know its not like "the movies", maybe I should have rephrased my sentence and said I think it would be a very interesting line of work, instead of saying "kick ass". Excuse me.

Stephen4036

Established Member
I read for the DEA you need like 5 years of law enforcement experience, is "criminal justice" one of the FBI's required majors?

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
I applied and got to the point of taking the initial test but decided against it. At the time I had work experience and a 4 year degree in Electrical Engineering.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I applied for an internship, it's something that's always interested me. I might look into it after getting more career experience.

Users who are viewing this thread