Anything that cleans and shines the stock valve cover paint?

texas_snake

Established Member
Was wondering if there is anything that does a real good job cleaning and shining the stock silver painted valve covers. I about have one off, but it could use a clean.

Thanks.

texas_snake

Established Member
So I am thinking about a diluted simple green to clean them up and then perhaps a mild chemical paint compound to polish them a bit and then light car wash soap to clean any residue.

I have no idea what type of paint they used to paint these valve covers at the factory, so just considering a normal clean and polish approach. Mine are in fairly good shape. I have seen some that were highly faded/dulled out.

Thoughts???

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The last time I did this I just used Simple Green (diluted for average grime) to clean them and called it a day. The only other thing I would have done would be to use a good polish after the cleaning. I'd recommend you do the Simple Green cleaning first and see how they look. You may have to clean them more than once. I have a feeling once they're cleaned you'll be fine with how they look, and might then skip the polish step. Your call at that point.

mkb116

Established Member
I had a block oil adapter from a junk yard, I left it submerged in a tub of simple green/water. Maybe 90/10 water simple green ratio. The thing looked like brand new aluminum from the factory after about a day and a half. Pulled it out about 2 or three times and gave a light scrub to the stubborn areas. Simple green does wonders...

MG0h3

Established Member
I believe the VCs are painted silver though. So like NX said, clean and then wax em. Might steer clean of something as strong as simple green.

texas_snake

Established Member
Yes, they are definitely painted silver (mine are peeling a bit inside the spark plug holes, but does not show).

Would car waxes burn with the temps that the VC's get?

nxhappy

Established Member
dilute the simple green
spray and clean
wipe with microfiber cloth
let dry for a day
wax and buff out

Users who are viewing this thread