AP Racing vs Brembo

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
I was wondering if any of you guys had any experience with AP Racing and there new kit for Mustangs. It looks like a solid caliper but I am no expert and would like to know how it would stack up against the Brembo Cobra R kit. I would be using it for track days as well. Thanks for the help

Here is a link to the kit:
http://www.apracingusa.com/pressrel.asp

Quick comparison for a Brembo Lotus caliper:
http://www.apracingusa.com/competition.asp

nightstalker865

Established Member
I think a couple of things that everyone likes about the cobra R kit have to be price and pad avalibility.

I didn't look very far into the site did it ever give a price on this AP setup?

BlackStripes

Established Member
AP Racing has probably more racing history than any other brand.

I have no idea how it compares with the Brembo kit, but i will tell you that when you factor the price, check the price of rotors and pads... depending on how many events you attend, they can get PRETTY expensive.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I agree. especially since the 00R kit can be gotten for between 800 and 900 depending on where you look.

Since Brembo 00R solid blanks are around 65 bucks per on tirerack and can be found cheaper elsewhere, there's really no reason to buy a 2 piece rotor unless you really want them.....or you are a super track rat and you keep burning up your wheel bearings due to heat conduction from the rotor hats of a solid rotor.. I do a few events a year, and accumulate roughly 2k track miles in that time period, but I don't think I do nearly enough to justify the cost of anything more than the 00R brakes....and they suit me fine.

With a good set of track pads, the performance of the 00R's is really fantastic.

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
I know about the price difference but I would be willing to front the extra money if its a better setup since it will be probably the only one I get. Also from what I have seen they will work with the OEM rotors, hawk makes pads for them as well, and they fit on 03/04 Cobra wheels.

I was just interested in why a lot of race teams use AP Racing setups and Brembo recently bought the company too.

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
i bet the ap kit is slightly better: its pad is wider, and the bridge bolt makes the caliper stiffer.

ideally, one wants the widest pad that fits on the rotor. the ap pads have more overall pad area. i'd be interested to see how thick they are, though. thickness matters not just for longevity, but repeatability - a thinner pad allows more heat to penetrate the caliper so they're harder on the brake fluid.

if the brembo pads are significantly thicker (3mm or more) then i'd stick with the brembos. you'll outbrake the ap users by the middle of the session if thats the case. thicker rotors and thicker pads mean more than rotor diameter and piston count/size.

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
Thanks for the great info ShelbyGuy,

The pad thickness for the AP Racing caliper shown is 16.7mm. How does that compare with the Cobra R pads?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Force4.6 said:
Thanks for the great info ShelbyGuy,

The pad thickness for the AP Racing caliper shown is 16.7mm. How does that compare with the Cobra R pads?

They come in two thicknesses. .585" and .665" (actually the Viper spec) which is 16.89mm.

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
If you want options, try StopTech and Rotora as well... Also, Roush and Saleen both have 14" big brake upgrades made by alcon.

USBlueStage2

Established Member
TroyV said:
I agree. especially since the 00R kit can be gotten for between 800 and 900 depending on where you look.

Point me in that direction, lowest I have seen is about $1000.

Roush branded 4 piston Alcons have great stopping power (had them on my Stage 2), but they cost about $2200 just for the fronts - but they have the larger rotors (14")

If the Brembos offer substantially the same performacne usring a similar product (4 piston caliper and 13" rotor) it is hard to justify paying double for what probably amounts to only marginal performance gains for a street driven (and occassional track use) mustang

USBlueStage2

Established Member
Force4.6 said:
www.buyfordracing.com has it for around $800. You also get a choice of rotors if you want to pay more as well.

More like $899 for slotted or drilled rotors plus $50 for shipping = $950.00

But thanks for the link- still best I have seen advertised.

frank the tank

Skull-Keg Racing!
Established Member
I would be looking at these guys www.thebrakeman.com top mustang road racers all use brake man products and there support is unbelieveble. ask them any question you like and you will get an intelligent and straight answer. if you got the $'s get brake man.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
sunburned said:
If you want options, try StopTech and Rotora as well... Also, Roush and Saleen both have 14" big brake upgrades made by alcon.

Anyone running the Rotora gear?

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
Found some new info

Stoptech ST-40 pad thickness = .650"
Brembos = .585" and .665" (from Bruce)
AP Racing = .654"

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
I looked it over, I think I will probably go with the Brembos since I can use the extra money for track time.

USBlueStage2

Established Member
Yeah I went w/ the R brembos - looks like best bang for the buck - BTW, I assume the Cobra R brembos will fit under the stock 17 x 9 wheel - is that correct?

Users who are viewing this thread