Apten Cooling Mod... How many have it??

Do you have the Apten cooling mod??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lucafu1

Established Member
plan b said:
I have the cooling mod but I haven't installed it yet. The only thing I'm changing is the 3/4" tee. I'm replacing the plastic one for a brass tee. That way I won't worry about breakage. Not that it would break, but I'll cover my a$$ just in case.
good idea! and trust me they will break if you have gorilla arms like me. but then agian i break everything. :rockon:

railroad

Established Member
I have the apten cooling mod, but was expecting better quality for the price.
The only unique part is a stock ford part, which can be obtained new for about $25.
The rest of the kit, the cheap heater hose, a hot water Tee and $3 worth of clamps, brings the kit value to less than $40.
I am glad I put it on, but could have a least gotten high silicone blue heater hose.
Save yourself some money and buy the parts locally.

2JZFAN

Established Member
I've got something similar on my car and we used a stainless "T" instead of the ford plastic piece.. Works fine, no leaks.. good shit. :thumbsup:

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
You mention there is a ford part required to perform this mod? Is this something the delaership will do? Some sort of tsb?

hmwave

Established Member
Oh Three Cobra said:
For the price I don't its worth the time to go and try to source the parts yourself.

Maybe so if Apten was providing premium parts. From the thread it appears their parts are pretty basic, Re the plastic tee.

Does someone have a full parts list?
I'm getting a new clutch soon so should probably do this mod at the same time.

Big Top GT

Jackstand Racer
Established Member
Just chiming in but my comments are pretty basic...

I have the Apten mod done to the forged motor in my Cobra. If I recall correctly it was $125 bucks. I think it's well worth it.

Especially after the TT setup gets here. ;)

Alan

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Shadowgray03 said:
While I do have this mod myself and I am sure it helps, please dont anyone think this is the "Do-All and Be-All" of cooling mods. The ONLY reason there is even a line coming off the pass side head is to route coolant through the heater core so we have heat. After the coolant leaves there it goes right back into the block/pump. It never travels directly through the radiator prior to being returned to the engine.

Like many have said, I wouldnt go out of my way to do this unless the tranny or engine were coming out for another reason.

The best advice and answer to this question I have evr heard. :beer:

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
the 04's came w/ a fix for the head tick/cooling , dont really know the fix exactly but it has a blue stripe on the driver's side cylinder head. would a cooling mod. still be needed for the 04's or was this only for the 03's??

Jpjr

Established Member
rips-stang said:
Anybody? I don't wanna spend $125 when I could spend $40.

$125 is the least of your problems :) The install is a bitch and even if you have drooped the tranny (required).. it still takes hours from what I've read. One guy had been trying all day to bend the coolant lines with no sucess. This is not a simple bolt-on mod.

Blakers01GT

Established Member
Ok, the kit is marked up big time, I really don't care about all that, for what this does for our motors, it's worthit in my book. what I care about is I live in wisconsin and Would like to get this taken care of while my car is being stored, how much is labor for this cooling mod from a experienced mechanic who knows what they are doing and have done this mod before?

ALSO : I have an 04', do I still need this, or is just the 03's?

rips-stang

Established Member
Jpjr said:
$125 is the least of your problems :) The install is a bitch and even if you have drooped the tranny (required).. it still takes hours from what I've read. One guy had been trying all day to bend the coolant lines with no sucess. This is not a simple bolt-on mod.

I am a fair mechanic so the install doesn't bother me. :read:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
my plugs look a hell of a lot more even after installing this mod

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
Postban, once again, wonderful write up. I love the tech you provide. That one on the solid axle swap is perfect. Keep up the good work. Installing any automatics lately?

71stang99

Established Member

Where did you get that lift? IWere looking into a new home and that lift might fit the bill! thanks for the write up, Im saving it for future use. :beer:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Mr. Freeze said:
the 04's came w/ a fix for the head tick/cooling , dont really know the fix exactly but it has a blue stripe on the driver's side cylinder head...
'04s do not have different cylinder heads than most '03s. It's been discussed here several times...the blue stripe on your cylinder head has no significant meaning. There is no "tick fix" cylinder head on '04s. Ford even admits that they are still "working on a solution" at this point.

This message was broadcast to dealers on/about June 10, 2004:

"Some 2003-2004 Mustangs with a 4.6l 4-valve engine may exhibit a ticking noise from the cylinder head that can be heard coming from the wheel well area, or when standing next to the vehicle. A light ticking noise is considered normal on this engine. If the noise is determined to be excessive, follow normal diagnostic procedures to determine root cause. Engineering is currently investigating this condition. Monitor oasis for updates."

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Lyle, Dana, and I are coming out with a kit sometime in the next few weeks. I don't want to talk about it yet but I think you guys will be impressed. Pics and a write up to follow as soon as we have the thing ready. Here's a teaser pic of one of the components. Stock on the left and modified on the right.

Lyle mod pic:

attachment.php

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Just an update.

Looks like all the pieces are falling into place, finally.
Should have some ready to ship by next Friday, March 11.

Anyone about to do the Apten mod, hold off for a few more days while we get the final pieces in place and fine tuned. You won't be disappointed.

Stay tuned.

Dana

dun4791

Established Member
Our kit is NOT a bitch to install...........Watch next week for details.......Lyle

LDC Chicago Superior Automotive Products Inc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread