Are 03-04 Cobra Seats worth it?

Tickle

Established Member
There is a set available in the area and I might pull the trigger.

Are they worth it? Is the bolster support any better with them? I've always wanted them but spending 1K on used seats is a bit steep if they will feel the same.

Those who have made the switch, are you glad you did?

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
I have sat in 03 cobra seats and they have a noticeable improvement in bolster support plus the suede inserts make sliding around a non issue unlike our leather seats. They also look great and retain a stock-ish appearance. Now saying all that I have switched my stock seats out for a set of corbeau fx1-p's and love them. I don't have a lot of seat time as my car isn't running yet but just sitting in the two I can tell I will love them.

All in all I think the decision for me at least would center around the look and what I would use the car for. Mine has no rear seat so a full out racing seat is no issue. Also keeping in mind that unless you hate the look of corbeau or other sport/racing seats they can be bought for a little less then the cost of decent second hand 03 cobra seats. So if it were me I would buy the corbeau's again without hesitation but if you want the stock-ish appearance and more support the cobra seats are great for that.

shiz302

TOML
Established Member
I was considering the 03-04 seats because I'd have matching rears as opposed to buying recaros with the stock rear seats. Can someone point me to this TMI.

chao5.0

Established Member
if I'm spending $1k on seats it won't be for some 12-13 year old seats, it will be for a updated seat with good bolstering. check out LMR's selection of the Corbeau's or CJ pony parts.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
I put 03-04 stock seats in my 97 back in 2011, they cost $800 and had a little wear on the bolster but very nice overall. They are much better looking than stock seats, no comparison, they are super heavy though, at least the drivers side.

TMIProducts

Established Member
I sent this link to Waylon@TMI, he should have some pics. Trust me, they are nice.

I could seriously talk about this topic for hours, but let me just hit some of the highlights and see if that helps answer some questions.

If you have your original GT seats you can simply by a GT Cobra Upgrade Upholstery kit - which will give you two front 03-04 Cobra Upholstery for the front buckets and a cobra styled upholstery cover for your factory rear GT seat. From 1999-04 all of the seat frames are the same, so V6, GT, Bullit, Cobra, Mach 1 etc - with new foam and new upholstery, can be easily swapped and upgraded. The only hinderance from a direct swap is the rear seats - for some fun reason only Ford knows, they decided to make the foam patterns for the rear seat just different enough that a direct swap is not an option. That's why we came out with the cobra upgrade kit. CJ's is the only dealer I have that has these Cobra Upgrade kits up on their site (http://www.cjponyparts.com/tmi-upholstery-2003-2004-cobra-seat-v6-gt-1999-2004/p/U134-V/) Price varies from a Front Only kit without a Cobra logo at $366.99 up to $550.00 for a full set with cobra logo. We offer with and without the logo. We also offer custom suede inserts for these kits - meaning you could get a bright red suede insert, or blue, or merlot, black, gray, white etc... The kits are only offered in vinyl/unisuede, and not leather. However, on the factory original cobra seat - the ONLY portion that was leather was the tiny bands on either side of the suede insert, the sides and back of the seats were vinyl and the rear upholstery was 100% vinyl. For you money - vinyl is hands down a better option, requires less maintenance and 100% vinyl guarantees an exact match from side of seat to face front. If you look at any original factory cobra seat you'll notice two things: 1) the leather on the drivers side bolster is almost certain to be cracked and peeling - because leather takes care, and up keep. It's dean skin. (gross to think of , but facts a fact) and it needs monthly conditioning to stay flexible -- (especially the cheap a$$ leather ford used for these years, amiright?). 2) the factory leather does not match the factory vinyl perfectly. -- you'll also probably notice the vinyl is still in great shape. That's three reasons why vinyl is a better option.

So let's recap:
Almost a grand for seats that are 12 years old and i'd have to guess cracked, peeling on the leather side - and napped, fuzzy and faded on the suede side.
$500 for a full kit of new upholstery in a possible custom color, $300 for two new foams that have not had an occupant in them for the last decade. and free shipping. One day's worth of install - so you save $200 and everything's new.

DSC_0292_zps28229b11.jpg

Another option for an upgrade on foam and apperance would be our Sport R500 lowback - the bolsters on this thing are super comfy, stripe colors are: black, red, gray, blue, white, gotta have it green and grabber blue - these also fit on your factory seat frames and come with a rear seat upholstery:
1994-04-Mustang-Sport-R500-Three-Quarter-View_zps3aaa3d7e.jpg

Last edited:

MustangMatt77

Established Member
Another option is 05-09 seats.
I picked up a pair from a wrecked mustang to replace my 96 factory cracked
/ shredded leather seats. I had to buy adapter plates but they went right in, are comfortable, clean, and a close match to the back seats - which nobody ever sits in (in my car).
Just an option.
(My friend has an 03 and I personally don't like the seats, I'm not a large person but I feel they hug me too much and become uncomfortable after a hour or so).

Gary101386

Established Member
i just had TMI's installed in my 96GT Vert. Great Great product! Skins were $579 and foam was like $300 so for $900 I had brand new seats Free shipping too. I went through CJPony. Mine did take almost 2 month to receive as they are made when ordered. I paid another $500 to have them put on and it was a good thing as the rear seat material is glued on and tears the foam. The foam kit only includes front seat foam. anyhow, here are the pictures.

bf8e5e849b1568b0db81ce5c7043fe1b.jpg
faceee47499aeb63fa0febd66168ebd0.jpg
3f95759629d9be0c9a99bc140f9b5c99.jpg
8bbc45a28a5b2cc939556b0a3d108901.jpg
320ad82efa3a52a64aa0eb17fd9e8c2c.jpg
9a93df1a369bb91901da995555f65327.jpg

Last edited:

chao5.0

Established Member
I have the unique problem that my aluminum seat bracket that raises the seat to clear the elec. motor broke and I either need to get a new bracket or a entire new seat base. I'm debating on a manual seat base honestly because once I set my seat I never move it, I even make people enter and exit through the passenger side just so I don't have to move the seat.

Users who are viewing this thread