Are 2013/14 GT500 TPMS Sensors Backwards Compatible to 2010?

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
When I was doing different rims for my 14 I recall the 13-14 sensors were specific due to their construction and rating to 200 mph. You might explore the speed rating of the 10-12 vs. 13-14 and see if that is the difference.

Tom

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
When I was doing different rims for my 14 I recall the 13-14 sensors were specific due to their construction and rating to 200 mph. You might explore the speed rating of the 10-12 vs. 13-14 and see if that is the difference.

Tom

^^^^^My guess is that is the 2010-14 differences.......the stems (and their speed rating), not the sensors (and their ability to link)...<<<But then again, that is just a guess knowing that 2010 can be unique....If 2010-2012 TPMS valve stems would have been 200mph rated, there would have been no reason to change the stems for 2013.

R

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
ive sold many wheels with tpms to gt500 customers throughout the years. from 07-14. i would just get them off ebay. i preferred the silver type that screw together for our wheels. never once had a customer come back and say they didnt sync up with their car (all years). i never once, ever, sold a set with the band type sensors that came with 07-09 cars.

the 13/14 gt500 sensors seemed to have been made specifically for those wheels. they are metal and cost a LOT more, (at least back then). my assumption was that it was due to the 200mph rating.

this is the type im referring to. ive never seen then split for the years. they would just say mustang (a few years ago). not sure if they actually are different. i used them many times on different years and never heard of any issues. they appear to have the same part numbers.

says 07-09

ITM Tire Pressure Sensor 315MHz metal TPMS For FORD MUSTANG 07-09 [QTY of 1] | eBay

says 10-14
1 TPMS Tire Pressure Sensor 315Mhz Metal for 10-14 Ford Mustang | eBay

these are the oem style. i have used these before but i dont like them. the stems are LONG and black and they were a hair too wide for the tpms hole in our wheels. other than that, they connected just fine.
Genuine For Ford Motorcraft Tire Pressure Sensor TPMS OEM DE8T-1A180-AA | eBay

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
The 2010 GT500 ones cross reference with much less powerful Ford products, and should have never came equipped on this car.

its just a sensor. are you breaking them from all the torque youre putting down or from 200mph runs?

*edit* just saw your posts in the other thread by PM performance. i see where youre coming from. not sure any gt500 owners have issues with breaking valve stems though. ive never seen anyone post about it or talk to anyone who has. you mentioned your nissan tpms, those are like the ones i used and would sell to customers and i linked in my other post. same as what Robert M posted as well.

if you're concerned about them fitting your stock 2010 wheels, just ditch those heavy weight boat anchors!lol those things are heavy!

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
For me, I was trying to upgrade the rubber/chrome sleeve stem that Shelby installed in my Alcoa's while also trying to get a "somewhat" match to the Durabright finish. Valve stems are a minor detail, but can also be ugly on a nice set of wheels.

Below was the choice, the Silver Alum. bolt-in stem that Shelby had installed in a set of 2011/12 Black Alcoa's (BTW - looked terrible in a Black wheel), or the Stainless 2013/14 stems, which being Stainless did not quite match the polished Durabright finish, but were more Bright than Flat like the alum. stems, so they got the nod for the install....The 2013/14 Stainless stems were also more robust in structure, but the bolt together Alum. stems were nice also......

20190301-153425.jpg

..................and then what Shelby originally installed.....

20190301_153145.jpg

R

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
For me, I was trying to upgrade the rubber/chrome sleeve stem that Shelby installed in my Alcoa's while also trying to get a "somewhat" match to the Durabright finish. Valve stems are a minor detail, but can also be ugly on a nice set of wheels.

Below was the choice, the Silver Alum. bolt-in stem that Shelby had installed in a set of 2011/12 Black Alcoa's (BTW - looked terrible in a Black wheel), or the Stainless 2013/14 stems, which being Stainless did not quite match the polished Durabright finish, but were more Bright than Flat like the alum. stems, so they got the nod for the install....The 2013/14 Stainless stems were also more robust in structure, but the bolt together Alum. stems were nice also......

View attachment 1648168

..................and then what Shelby originally installed.....

View attachment 1648169

R

those look nice. those are 13/14 gt500 tpms? if so, i was given incorrect information. (damn customers!! lol). ill go back and remove some info from my post to not spread wrong info then.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
.......and then the bolt-together stems I used as a replacement in the Black 2011/12 Alcoa's. The 2011 Super Snake Alcoa's are a Matte/Flat Black finish, so I had to spray stems to match......Original out of the package Black/Shiney on right and on the left a sprayed Matte/Flat to match with a more "blend in as oem" cap installed.......

020.jpg

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
those look nice. those are 13/14 gt500 tpms? if so, i was given incorrect information. (damn customers!! lol). ill go back and remove some info from my post to not spread wrong info then.

Yes, the Stainless stem shown in that picture is a 2013/14 GT500 assy. straight out of the Ford packaging, stem and sensor.

2013/14 stem/sensor on top....

20190301_153523.jpg

R

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Yes, the Stainless stem shown in that picture is a 2013/14 GT500 assy. straight out of the Ford packaging, stem and sensor.

2013/14 stem/sensor on top....

View attachment 1648172

R

gotcha. i would think it would work on all the years if the aftermarket ones do. at least connection wise. fitment wise, i would think so. do you have a stock wheel you can do a test fit on? a non-13/14 wheel. or maybe OP can borrow it to test fit on his wheel before he buys some.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I don't know if I mentioned it in this thread, but the 2013/14 stem torques into place at approx. 75in.lbs. and has that ability because the base of the stem has "stops" that allows the seal to seat and then the stem base to contact the rim, shown below....

003.jpg

The Alum. stem that I showed previously....it has no "stops" and the more you torque it the more the seal flattens and spreads out and will eventually "squish out". The max install torque on them was 27-30 in.lbs. Much beyond that the seal began to get distorted.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
gotcha. i would think it would work on all the years if the aftermarket ones do. at least connection wise. fitment wise, i would think so. do you have a stock wheel you can do a test fit on? a non-13/14 wheel. or maybe OP can borrow it to test fit on his wheel before he buys some.

No oem, only Alcoa's.

R

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I don't know if I mentioned it in this thread, but the 2013/14 stem torques into place at approx. 75in.lbs. and has that ability because the base of the stem has "stops" that allows the seal to seat and then the stem base to contact the rim, shown below....

View attachment 1648173

The Alum. stem that I showed previously....it has no "stops" and the more you torque it the more the seal flattens and spreads out and will eventually "squish out". The max install torque on them was 27-30 in.lbs. Much beyond that the seal began to get distorted.

R

wow. who knew we could get so technical on tpms lol. good stuff man. and it has to be the 200mph rating.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
wow. who knew we could get so technical on tpms lol. good stuff man. and it has to be the 200mph rating.

Yes, that is what I would assume.........I will never get there, not even close.......at 61 years old.....I may possibly get to 80mph on the interstate........but my valve stems are cool!!! LOL!!!

For the price of the 2013/14 valve stems, they may come into consideration if there is ever a "back to stock sale".....LOL!!!

R

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
my buddy took his stock C6Z to a standing mile event. brand new 3 piece wheels with brand new tires and brand new oem tpms. he hit about 170mph and drove back to the pit hearing clunking noises. it was all four brand new tpms rolling around in his tires. they all broke! granted, they were installed using brackets.

i find it easier to just not run them. way too much of a pita in my opinion. i havent had tpms since i bought the car. i just do it the old fashion way lol. on a vette though, it disables certain functions like traction control (i believe) until you get it fixed, which sucks. but it also tells you WHICH corner is low on air, which is cool. still, ill stick with checking it myself.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
my buddy took his stock C6Z to a standing mile event. brand new 3 piece wheels with brand new tires and brand new oem tpms. he hit about 170mph and drove back to the pit hearing clunking noises. it was all four brand new tpms rolling around in his tires. they all broke! granted, they were installed using brackets.

i find it easier to just not run them. way too much of a pita in my opinion. i havent had tpms since i bought the car. i just do it the old fashion way lol. on a vette though, it disables certain functions like traction control (i believe) until you get it fixed, which sucks. but it also tells you WHICH corner is low on air, which is cool. still, ill stick with checking it myself.

Yes, there are + and - to having TPMS. I like the nanny that tells me when a tire is low. With a 20" wheel and a short sidewall, it is not forgiving at all if it goes un-noticed, especially on a trip where it starts out right and then a piece of unseen road debris changes everything.

.......and on the TPMS and the C6Z, Wow!!! I have thought about the big MPH forces on a spinning tire/wheel assy., but really have no idea how much force there is.....I guess that is why this stuff is speed rated.....

Can you imagine the magazines doing tests on the 2013 and the GT500 coming back with TPMS sensors "clanking" around inside the tires???

R

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Yes, there are + and - to having TPMS. I like the nanny that tells me when a tire is low. With a 20" wheel and a short sidewall, it is not forgiving at all if it goes un-noticed, especially on a trip where it starts out right and then a piece of unseen road debris changes everything.

.......and WOW on the TPMS and the C6Z, Wow!!! I have thought about the big MPH forces on a spinning tire/wheel assy., but really have no idea how much force there is.....I guess that is why this stuff is speed rated.....

R

yeah he wasnt thrilled that he just spent a few hundred on brand new tpms and they all broke immediately lol. and no one you can complain to or warranty or anything. just a tough way to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread