Are any of you guys here on LinkedIN?

mrmustangman357

Established Member
I finally set up my LinkedIn account and would like to see what your thoughts are on the website.

For those who don't know it, LinkedIn is a professional networking site that keeps your professional contacts up to date and in order. I found so far its good for people that move around and allows you to get your foot in the door with other companies (like Roush, Ford, GM performance, and Honda R&D)

Im a graduating mechanical engineer so for me contacts like this are critical in this economy. What do you think?

01svtL

Established Member
I'm on it. It would have helped me when I was unemployed had I been "suggested" or whatever the term is on there. There were 2 or 3 positions that fit my background that I would not have been considered for b/c they wanted you to be "suggested" (can't remember the term right now) by others in your network.

Coiled03

Established Member
I'm on it, although I can't say I've seen any benefit from it. If I were looking for a new job, though, it could be a useful networking tool.

sideways03

LS What?
Established Member
I've received several job interview offers through it. I turned them all down and have since disabled my account because I am not looking to leave my current position.

I do believe that if you set your profile up correctly (fill everything out and get some "recommendations") that it could help you in a job search.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
I'm on it. I've had a few calls from recruiters about engineering jobs. They were quite interesting opportunities, however, I've got my sights on other stuff.

It could work if you use it to it's fullest abilities. I haven't updated my resume on there, or anything...

ChrisRedGT

Established Member
I'm on it. Good for keeping track of people you worked with but don't want to 'friend' on Facebook etc.

Good for researching companies you are interested in. Might surprise you some day that someone from an old job or school works where you are going to interview.

Also a good way for people you worked with to find you. For example, most people I know will look at an internal job req and say 'I bet so-and-so could do this, I wonder what she's up to?'. If she's on LI you can find her and see if she is interested. Even if your last contact was 5 years ago.

Blind searches are overrated, its about who you know. May not help for this year's job search, but in 2 or 3 years it could be valuable.

jf4boogie

Established Member
I made an account, only becuase I was "invited" or whatever its called from a guy I have done business with before. We'll see if anything comes of it...

Users who are viewing this thread