are expensive sunglasses worth it?

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
My costa's that i paid nearly $150 for are shoot. It's time for new ones. I feel sometimes they distort my vision and give me a headache. Or make me disoriented. They do have plastic lenses and they cook in my truck all day long. They are clipped to my sun visor on the driver side when not in use.

Id like to know if im wasting my money on buying expensive name brand stuff. I just want something to cut the glare while driving, someone durable. And wont scratch easy. It seems something like that cost $20-$30 at Walmart?

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I cant stand cheap sunglasses. The feel, weight, and the lenses are much different between cheap and expensive one’s. Had cheap one’s before and they never lasted. Got a pair of Rayban’s and Oak’s Gasscan’s. Have had them for about 2 years and look like theyre still new.

usmcsvtwannabe

Not a noob
Established Member
I think you'll get mixed reviews here. I vote for a decent pair $100-200. I have had 2 pairs of Oakleys in the last 8 yrs. The only reason I got a new pair was because my wife surprised me with a new pair last year. So 7yrs with one pair. Its all how you treat them. I'm rough on my glasses, between landscaping, fire fighting, and the military my glasses held up perfectly

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I spent something like 650.00 on a set of prescription Maui Jim sunglasses. Best money I have ever spent!

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
I prefer "expensive" sunglasses I guess. The cheap ones seem to not fit as well. I currently have 4 pairs of Oakleys, a pair of Wiley-X that double as shooting glasses, and a pair of Ray-Bans in my prescription for when I don't feel like wearing contacts.

scott_0

Established Member
cheap sunglasses have terrible optics, I have two pair of Oakleys (gas cans and plantiff squared) and a pair of Spy's, I can't imagine owning a pair of cheap sunglasses, I take care of them so they last me forever. last year my niece knocked me wire frame Oakleys on the floor and I didn't see them, I ended up stepping on them, they were wrecked, all sorts of bent. I was able to fix them like they were new lol

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Cheap for me.

Used to buy $100 oakleys post HS days, lost them within a month.

$10 gas station metal framed black ones, last me 2-3yrs before retiring due to scratches.

I dont need glasses so dont need prescriptions.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I'm done with the expensive sunglasses. The last pair of Revo's I owned my Daschund chewed up, $300.00 down the drain. Walmart sells polarized sunglasses in their fishing department, $15.00, they work great. If I loose them, no big deal. If my dog chews them up, no big deal.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Unless you lose them spend some cash. As others have said I had my oakleys square wire torn from my eyes at a baseball by a 4 year old that put the second ear piece to an 180 degree angle. Took them to eyewear center and the guy told me that he could bend it back but it would break. He bent it back to the normal 90 degrees and was amazed they held up. Wore them for another two years!
I have two pairs currently, Oakley 6 years and Maui Jim 4 years awesome shades both of them!

Rct851

Established Member
Definetly prefer quality sunglasses and I won't spend more than about $18 on a watch.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Love my oakleys. Definitely worth the money. Only reason I have had to replace any of them is because my sister in law (who is still just a little kid) has bent them some way or another. I usually just send them back to Oakley for repair. It is much cheaper than a new pair and they get it turned around fast.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Love my oakleys. Definitely worth the money. Only reason I have had to replace any of them is because my sister in law (who is still just a little kid) has bent them some way or another. I usually just send them back to Oakley for repair. It is much cheaper than a new pair and they get it turned around fast.

Love my oakleys as well. My 3 year old pair is pretty beat up. I've sat on them before, dropped them a couple times, had them slide off my dash, etc. I bought a brand new yet ebayed paid or polarized Whiskers for $110 for a trip I went on last fall. They survived Europe flawlessly, and are now stored back in their little carry bag while I continue to wear my beat up pair. It's nice knowing I have an instant backup if needed.

coposrv

Established Member
I was in the cheap glasses camp. I've been wearing the same oakleys for 4 years. I used to get headaches in the afternoon after squinting all day if I didn't have glasses on so I wear them pretty much all day. If nothing else the oakleys fit much better and are more comfortable than cheap ones.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Free work issued saftey sunglasses here, wouldn't spend the money on high end stuff, no difference IMO. And I have owned Oakleys, they were a gift.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I love my oakley. I'm on my 3rd pair but not because any of them wore out I just wanted a new style. I wear each pair about 2 years. My first pair got into aN unfortunate accident (I was mad and slammed them into the pavement) and I picked up the pieces and put them back together good as new (minus some good scratches in the frane). I like the polarized lenses to reduce glare while riding my motorcycle

MysticRob

Established Member
I'm done with the expensive sunglasses. The last pair of Revo's I owned my Daschund chewed up, $300.00 down the drain. Walmart sells polarized sunglasses in their fishing department, $15.00, they work great. If I loose them, no big deal. If my dog chews them up, no big deal.

This is me. Between losing and dropping things, I stick with these polarized dealios:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009BXVI6M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've purchased 4 of them over the last 3yrs. One for each of our 2 cars, one for the garage (for walks), and one spare just in case.

Last edited:

mavisky

Established Member
I've had Oakley, Ray Ban, and currently using a set from SPY. All polarized and loved every one of them. I have cheapo glasses at the same time for risky things like kayaking and stuff.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
i opted for some $85 Spyware helios i love them. i got tired of dropping $150 for oakleys.

Users who are viewing this thread