are expensive sunglasses worth it?

Repth

Established Member
I've got a couple pairs of oakleys and a pair of Raybans. I'd buy them all again, especially the raybans. They're so light it's like they're not even on my face

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
You are thinking of the company called luxottica as mentioned above. They do own most of the brand names mentioned in this thread, but not Maui Jim.

I had lasik done early last year so I've been treating myself to quality sunglasses. I have 3 pairs of Maiu's ranging from $200 to $350 and they are worth every penny IMO. Also have a 20 year old pair of oakleys and a pair of ray bans that in in the rotation mix. Looking at getting some carbon fiber mirrored aviators from ray ban next.

Luxottica bought Oakley a few years ago, so they OWN them, but Oakley has been a private company designing and producing their glasses for decades. They didn't just automatically switch over to styles and lenses that Luxottica makes on a large scale.

For all the doubters, go to Oakley's website and actually read through the technology they put in their glasses. Marketing doesn't make impenetrable lenses or indestructible frames. All their lenses are Z87+ safety rated, how many other brands can say that?

ZincYellowGT281

Established Member
Your vision is important so yes, just make sure you purchase glasses that are polarized. If you don't you are just buying expensive frames.

Last edited:

Blown 89

Established Member
For all the doubters, go to Oakley's website and actually read through the technology they put in their glasses. Marketing doesn't make impenetrable lenses or indestructible frames. All their lenses are Z87+ safety rated, how many other brands can say that?
Quite a few actually. Dillon, Bolle, Rayban, Tifosi....sometimes they're listed under a ballistic line.

Machdup1

Established Member
Absolutely worth it. I hate cheap Sunglasses

I have prescription Oakleys in VR28 Polarized lens. Best sunglasses for driving I have ever owned.

I also own non-prescription Maui Jim's. I find these to be the best all around sunglasses.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I never found cheap sunglasses comfortable. In 2004 I had PRK surgery and treated myself to a pair of Oakley Straight Jackets. Those sunglasses are now my boat sunglasses. I've been hit with waves while riding the jet ski and they won't fall off. I have another old pair of Straight Jackets that are about the same age I use for out door work. And I currently have two newer pairs I switch off for daily use. Those are 2 or 3 years old. I've tried other brands but they're just not as comfortable to me.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I think anything under $150 would be worth it. Cheap glasses don't last very long. I don't own a pair of expensive glasses but I check them when all the deals come up. I'm waiting for a style I really like. I would easily dump 100-150$ on a nice pair of polarized glasses.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
You get what you pay for in cheap sunglasses. Would you rather pay $200 for a decent set, and have them last a couple years, or buy 5 or 6 pairs of $30 sunglasses over the same time? Personally, i'd rather not keep making trips to the store for cheap sunglasses.

I spent something like 650.00 on a set of prescription Maui Jim sunglasses. Best money I have ever spent!

I just sold my pair of Maui Jim polarized makaha sunglasses, those ****ers were like a feather on my head. I felt like I was going to break them just putting them on or taking them off. Surprisingly they were very durable though.

Last edited:

D2Fresh16

Established Member
I was going to buy Oakleys but ended up getting Wiley X sunglasses. Very very nice for the money, would definitely buy again. Not dollar store glasses but not Oakleys either.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Oakley's will be the only glasses I ever buy, they are tougher then nails and the lenses are certified saftey approved(forgot the technical term) but thats nice when I'm grinding and torching on things. Not to mention they look allot nicer then the cheap ones

D1984

Whining
Established Member
i've used Tumi for a while, used to wear Persol. definitely way better in every way than cheap sunglasses, and i am in the sun a LOT. the best part about them (Tumis) is the Carl Zeiss lenses. great optics

D2Fresh16

Established Member
Oakley's will be the only glasses I ever buy, they are tougher then nails and the lenses are certified saftey approved(forgot the technical term) but thats nice when I'm grinding and torching on things. Not to mention they look allot nicer then the cheap ones

Pretty sure the Wileys are ANSI certified

Sn95Snake

Established Member
I have had a set of Oakley Batwolfs for a little over a year and I have to say they are definitely worth it!

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Love Oakleys, but too damn expensive if they break or get lost (ask me how I know).

Been rocking Smith And Wesson $10 cheapie Sunglasses/safety glasses. Found a pair with blue tint over 9 months ago, still going strong. a little scratched but they are my pair for work (technician at a dealer). Honestly liked em so much I got the standard smoked glasses for evenings weekends:

http://www.amazon.com/Jackson-30163...5494&sr=8-1&keywords=Smith+and+wesson+glasses

And they are functional, Ansi Z87 rated. My work pair have been dropped, scraped, thrown and generally abused and have held up. Cant say I ever was that carefree with my old oakleys. While not a true pair of sunglasses, they do the job and for $10 Ill do it every time.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I spent something like 650.00 on a set of prescription Maui Jim sunglasses. Best money I have ever spent!
my oakleys were that with prescription lenses. I bought one pair on sale when I was in Iraq, the Juliets for 240.00 liked them so much I went back and got another pair for a bit less (the oakley store was being closed due to the base closing) then found a place that would do the lenses so sent them off for that.

I've had 580 glass seven mile Costas for 8 years! I upgraded from oakley juliets. If I were you I would look into having your current pair rebuilt from Costa with maybe upgrading the lenses to 580 glass.
I love my juliets .. won't have anything else at this point unless these get lost or stolen.

Doesn't matter if you buy Oakley or Ray Ban or anything in Sunglass Hut. They are all made by the same company. Years ago you could buy a pair of Ray Bans for 10 bucks at a gas station. Now they are triple digits just cause a different company bought them. It's all a racket controlled by one company with just about every expensive name brand.
horseshit. they are NOT made by the same company, Luxottica is merely the proctor and gamble of sunglasses. they are owned by a conglomerate but not all are made by the same people.

If anyone want's some O's at a nice discount PM me. Not trying to advertise and I won't make money but can hook you up
don't suppose you can still get juliets can you? I wouldn't mind another pair. what about prescription lenses?

bottom line I love my oakleys and have taken better care of them that I ever did my cheap pairs.

Led_Zep

Don't tread on me
Established Member
I bought Oakley aviators from the Oakley shop in Dubai. Was like $300ish, still rocking them 3 years later.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Yeah, I still have my original Crosshairs from '08. A few tiny chips on the lens, but still the best looking glasses for me. They've made 3 different variations of them since I got mine.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
A lot of Oakley love, and a lot of Costa love in here. I will have to look into some Costa's with the 580G lense when I am looking for another pair to try them out.

Users who are viewing this thread