Are Mr2s fast??

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
Im supposed to be racing this guy tomorrow if it doesnt rain. He has a toyota mr2 with supposedly 475whp. He said its running over 25psi of boost. Does that sound right? Arent these cars slow or what? I dont think it weighs that much...

THE_STIG

Established Member
Your threads always end in entertainment.... :pop:

However MR2s aren't very heavy cars and the engine is in the rear so they have decent traction off the line. Should be a good race.

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Damn, thats alot of power for an MR2.. Theres a guy on here(not sure of his name) with a pretty fast MR2, maybe he will chime in.

Whatever ya do, videotape it!! :rockon:

99redls1

Established Member
Im sure that it will be a good race. What are you guys doing. Roll or dig? I think that it will give you a better run for your money than most think it will.

BoostFiend

Say NO to FUPA!
Established Member
Well there is a guy at my local track that runs consistant low 12's at 112 with alot less rwhp than 475. I am thinking you will get walked if he can hook up.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Considering he has probably over 700lbs advantage, I expect this to get ugly for you...but then again anything can happen on the street

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
I havent seen the car yet. My friend just told me the guy wants to run me and he has his number and everything. Im not sure if he has a camera though. We will see. More than likely it will be a roll race but maybe if we can find an unpopulated area somewhere we can go from a dig

Swaie

Established Member
Little car lots of power...I think the numbers on the MR2 are pushed a little though.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I think the MKII turbos weigh like 2800lbs, so he's about 500lbs lighter than you. 475rwhp is a lot of power for a car that light, but peak HP doesn't tell the whole story a lot of the time. I'd say it could go either way.

03snakeminated

Established Member
I think the MKII turbos weigh like 2800lbs, so he's about 500lbs lighter than you. 475rwhp is a lot of power for a car that light, but peak HP doesn't tell the whole story a lot of the time. I'd say it could go either way.
+1, i say depends on power curve and drivers.....you got 50horses on him but he's got around 500ish on weight, it could go either way but real close

02blownGT

Established Member
I doubt hes making anywhere near the TQ# you are so depending on the race you could even out that weight disadvantage.

4.6snakedoc

Established Member
even with the weight advantage you have the torque. assuming you can hook up and drive you should win. post the vid. GL

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
....why dont u just race him...

WOW I BET no one thought of that!?!?!?!

btw nice mustang looks just like mine..

exdeath

Established Member
The power curve can be pretty broad and flat on the 3SGTE if it's not built for peak power.

Scott 91T MR2

This car seems to have been updated recently, I can't find the previous dyno where is was nearly flat with 80% of the torque at 2k RPM or something like that with 400 RWHP. There used to be a huge amount of area between the torque curve leading the horsepower curve before they crossed.

That car is stroked and had head work done with broad power band in mind though. If he just slapped a bigger turbo on a stock 3SGTE and added boost and race gas, you won't have to worry.

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
He might be BSing his numbers a bit. But still those cars are light. If he did the typical import move and gutted his car it will be way lighter than yours. 700-900 pounds maybe. It could be a very close race. Honestly if you can hook I say go from a dig. With your torque you should get the early lead and hopefully the MR2 wont be able to reel you in.

Users who are viewing this thread