Are my cars ok for the north east?

yelostang

Established Member
Looks like the wife and I will be moving to New Hampshire in the next month or so. I got word yesterday that I got this job I interviewed for a few weeks ago. This is all contingent on me accepting the offer, but I'm sure it will be just fine :)

Anyway, I was wondering if what we have could make it through the winter up there. I drive a 2000 Jeep Cherokee 2wd and she has a 2001 2wd Tahoe.

Both are paid for and we don't really want to get into debt for different cars.

jcr

Established Member
never been to NH but there's plenty of people driving around in 2wd vehicles here in CT throughout the winter. Good snow tires and weight in the back and as long as you have common sense while driving, you'll do just fine. Most of our police are rwd crown vics so no reason you can't get around :shrug:

prs97

Established Member
My father-in-law moved to NH a few years ago and he was told 4 wheel drive is a must.

termin8rdsg

Established Member
4wd would be recommended. We just had a terrible winter snow wise and 2wd really doesn't cut it around here but you can try to make it work.

devin1986

Boosted Grandma-Mobile
Established Member
I'm from the midwest, not the north-east, but rwd is marginally ok in the winter. Snow tires go a long way, but be prepared to miss a day or two in the winter if the roads are really bad. awd/4x4 or even fwd work decently.

Last edited:

bigmoose

Established Member
4wd is not a must. Its nice to have but not needed. All you need is a nice set of snow tires, none of that all season BS. I have bridgestone blizzaks which are amazing. My 2wd vehicle is better in the snow then any 4wd that runs all seasons. I have two sets of wheels/tires for my daily, one for winter and one for summer. Its all about the tires.

yelostang

Established Member
never been to NH but there's plenty of people driving around in 2wd vehicles here in CT throughout the winter. Good snow tires and weight in the back and as long as you have common sense while driving, you'll do just fine. Most of our police are rwd crown vics so no reason you can't get around :shrug:

The job is in Nashua which is basically on the border of Massachusetts.

We could always get rid the Tahoe since it has 157k on it and the jeep only has 75k...I just don't want to have to get rid of both at the same time.

jcr

Established Member
The job is in Nashua which is basically on the border of Massachusetts.

We could always get rid the Tahoe since it has 157k on it and the jeep only has 75k...I just don't want to have to get rid of both at the same time.

You can always get a transfercase and front axle for that jeep. They're pretty cheap to come by and dumb easy to install. There's plenty of junk yards around here with them. It's a shame, i just junked two full setups last month. If I were you, I wouldn't make any big changes right away in terms of selling and buying new cars. Grab a full set of new snow tires and test the waters. It's not as scary as everyone makes it out to be. just use your head when you're on the road.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
i lived in Maine for 5 years and 4wd is certainly a must...oh and a moose will own what ever car or truck you hit it with!

they are dumb they wont move so just stop and let them go...they will get out of the way when they are good and ready

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
You'll be fine as long as you know how to drive/don't drive like a moron and don't have summer performance tires. I think people are being drama queens about it. Every time it snows bad around here it's always the idiots in their 4wd/awd spun out in ditches because they think they're god in the snow.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
You'll be fine as long as you know how to drive/don't drive like a moron and don't have summer performance tires. I think people are being drama queens about it. Every time it snows bad around here it's always the idiots in their 4wd/awd spun out in ditches because they think they're god in the snow.

i needed 4wd just to get out of driveway more than once when the big storms came each year...then again i lived out in the middle of nowhere and the plow didn't come until way late

Solopony

Established Member
Wow a bunch of nancies in here. I drove through 4 midwest winters in a 03 Mustang GT. IN some cases I was traveling 80+ miles a day. Get some winter tires and put a little weight back there, you will be just fine.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Wow a bunch of nancies in here. I drove through 4 midwest winters in a 03 Mustang GT. IN some cases I was traveling 80+ miles a day. Get some winter tires and put a little weight back there, you will be just fine.

LOL midwest winters!

i drove a 97 GT in 3 of those myself when i lived in Nebraska(just had to slow down but thats easy when there isn't so much as a hill let alone mountain...you guys know what cold is but you don't anything about mountains and 12-16inch dumps every week...i remember one week in Maine where i measures 42inches of new snow to go ontop ont he foot we already had

ff500

Established Member
New Hampshire. " Live Free or Die " is their State motto. No personal tax and I don't think there is a sales tax.

Going from Texas to NH could be a big change, especially if you don't like the cold or snow. Nashua is only about an hour north of Boston, its a decent size City so I'm sure they take care of the roads during the winter so you may be okay. A lot of pretty scenery in NH especially if you like mountains, hiking, skiing, snowmobiling. Lots of stuff to do and the Ocean isn't to far away.
Good Luck!

dcook_14

Established Member
I'd trade one of them in for a 4wd just for the piece of mind. I drove my dad's 2wd truck (1/2 ton dodge, about 300 lbs over the axle) and it was okay but I had to drive granny slow. Plus it's always nice to have 4wd to be able to pull someone out if they get stuck in their driveway or something like that.

snake134

i've survived two michigan winters in my fwd TL. WORD OF CAUTION: if you drive like an idiot, you WILL end up in a ditch. seriously it feels like every year people forget that snow=slippery. so as long as you drive smart, you'll be fine. but as others have mentioned, if you live in hilly area or an area with rough terrain, 4wd might be a good option

Users who are viewing this thread