Are rainbow vacuums worth the money

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
The soon to be wife want's a rainbow vacuum cleaner. I believe new they are near $3000-$3500 from the lady that goes around town. Pretty sure the sale's lady makes a nice commission off the sale with that price.

Some searching online i hear people say they do work well but not for the insane price and are expensive to fix. I also read they are a PITA to empty water out of it and are bulky.

I hear it's good for people with asthma which i do have but it's very mild and mostly animals trigger it and we dont have any animals and will not get any.

She will use it a lot and take care of it. She keeps the house very tiddy. I cant say i dont piss away money on my hobbies but at least i know what i'm getting into most of the time. I wont be paying for it, she will. But id like to make sure she get's her money's worth. The vacuum is real trendy with some women are these here parts.

thoughts....?

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
wow, I felt like a borderline sucker shelling out for a dyson...I find it hard to believe any $3k vacuum is 2500 better than a dyson unless you guys are cleaning a damned mansion and running it all day long or something

99GreenCobra

Established Member
We spent $700 on a dyson a few years ago. It made me sick spending that much money on a vacuum. We ended up taking it back and getting $100 vacuum that still works 4 years later. When I was a bachelor I had a vacuum sales guy come by and try to sell me a $3500 unit. He tried to guilt me by asking me if I cared about my health. I pointed to the pack of smokes in his pocket.

Then I said look at my house. Do I care about cleanliness? I could buy your vacuum or a snowmobile(lived in the rockies). So while all my friends are ripping around the mountains I could stay at home and vacuum. Does that sounds like me? He tried his hardest.

04YellowGT

Established Member
No clue about them. My buddy's mom got suckered into buying one but I don't believe she payed nearly that much for one. He ended up getting it when she passed away and he swears by it. He one of those guys that has to justify his stupid purchases though so I take what he says about it with a grain of salt. My question is how clean can you really get your carpets? You could put all new flooring in your house for that price.

Also see link below.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...cuum-Cleaner-Refurbished/3402181/product.html

Blown 89

Established Member
They're nice but in all honesty a normal vacuum works just fine. I've seen tests showing that Dysons don't work any better either. Some of those things tend to beat up household carpet pretty bad.

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I will say this, years back a rainbow vac salesman came to my parents place and put on a demo. He dumped a sand/dirt/mud concoction on the stairs and while the vacuum did a good job of picking it up, it still stained. Needless to say my parents weren't too enthused about that and never could get the company to cough up any money to have the carpet cleaned/replaced where their salesman dumped the crud.

For me, I really love my Riccar. It's a quality made in the US piece and doesn't cost thousands of dollars. My Vibrance was about $500.00 or so.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Oreck XL is the last vacuum youll ever need.

or one of these old beasts

broomvac++11-30-2011-20-13-27.jpg

used to scare the shit out of me.

20redfire03

Established Member
One of those sales ppl came to my parents house and she ended with a expensive Kirby vacuum. Sure it's good but using the tools is a pain in the ass having to take the front off and lock it rather just detach a hose

sh4rkbayte

Oreck XL is the last vacuum youll ever need.

This +1. My brother used to sell Kirbys and though the demos are real, they're still not worth the price tag. My parents had a Rainbow before Katrina and that things was a huge PITA with the water bowl and stuff... the only thing worse than dust and hairballs is wet dust and hairballs.

dom418

Established Member
My parents have one but it wasn't $3k, that much I know. It works well, yes the water is a pain to empty. They last something like 20 years

Oh and IMO anything Dyson is overpriced and overhyped.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
We paid around 2500 for our Kirby. Best vacuum ever.

We were actually encouraged by my mother-in-law who still uses and loves her Kirby she bought 20+ years ago.

We figured it's cheaper than having to pay for a new vacuum every few years.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Buy a Dyson and be over it, buts that's JMO. Ours is over 10 years old, and have only replaced the filters twice and brush once via Amazon. I have 2 Pugs which are complete fur factories and can't believe what it picks up still to this day.

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Central house vac here! $700 and exhausts out of the house and only the noise of suction. I don't have carpet though. For that price I'd just put it towards hardwood floors and be done with expensive vacuums.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I have a dyson and gave up a 52 inch TV when my ex and I broke up to keep it (it was either one or the other….oddly we both wanted the vacuum.) It's that good and I have a husky. I felt crazy spending $558 on a vacuum….I wonder how I would feel spending $3k

OhIIICobra

Established Member
This is why I got stained concrete throughout my house and two dust mops, one for dry and one for wet. Carpets are nasty.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Just curious if you guys with the expensive vacuums take your shoes off inside? Not allowing shoes inside cuts down on 95% of the crap that becomes part of your indoor living space. My HVAC filters look new every time I pull them.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Save yourself a thousand and get a monty 6000. it's the 44 magnum of vacuum cleaners.

[video=youtube;uCbmBur0jxo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCbmBur0jxo[/video]

Last edited:

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Lol read this Amazon review of the Rainbow:

"This thing is the bane of my existence. If you do not treat it like another child and lovingly care for it as you would a newborn baby it will be your bête noir. I would gladly trade a year of my life to be free of it but we will be making payments on it until we die. I dream of going all Office Space on this thing with a hammer on a daily basis. It's super hard to clean, the belts wear out all the time, it's heavy and cumbersome to move around, and I hate it with the fiery passion of a thousand suns."

Sapperstang

Established Member
You may laugh and dismiss me but get yourself a Shark Navigator Deluxe. I know, Shark. Cheap junk right? That's what I thought. When we needed a new vac we picked up a fancy Samsung which was a piece of crap and was returned. I noticed all of the people leaving good reviews for Shark so I decided to give it a try. I admit I was very skeptical. Well, this thing pulled more crap out of our rugs than I could have ever imagined. Give it a try, seriously.

http://smile.amazon.com/Shark-NV42-...119533&sr=8-1&keywords=shark+navigator+deluxe

Users who are viewing this thread