Are the inner and outer belt tensioners the same?

specizripn

Established Member
I am really sorry if this is a duplicate, but I have spent quite some time searching here and on google for information on this and haven't had any luck. My power steering system started leaking and my pump started whining this winter, and the other day I found that all of my power steering fluid was in a puddle below my car. Needless to say I purchased a new pump, rack and pinion and high pressure hose and started an overhaul. Unfortunately when I was trying to remove the inner belt I snapped the square hole on the inner tensioner and had to cut the belt to get it off. It looks like it has been dry rotting so it probably needed replacing soon anyway. So now I get to have fun and remove the crank cage and replace the tensioner, power steering pump, etc. and put a new belt on. I'm probably going to put in a new water pump while I have everything apart.
I found some good info on belts on another thread here and I think I need a Motorcraft JK6-966-A (I'll know more once I pull the stock pulley off and see if my new power steering pump pulley is the same size), but I can't seem to figure out where to get a new tensioner. Are the inner and outer belt tensioners the same? Do I need a Motorcraft BT136 or is there a different tensioner that I can't seem to find? I love my money-pit, but sometimes... o_O:mad: Thanks!

MG0h3

Established Member
Go in the vendors section here.

Autonation or bear lake is what you’re looking for.

I suspect they’re the same but not positive.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03' White Snake

Established Member
They are not the same, would look like it with a naked eye, but they are not. I have both mine off right now.... here's the difference.

20180521_222554_zpsf4elp8cq.jpg

20180521_222603_zpspyd4bnpn.jpg

20180521_222618_zpsyiolgfx0.jpg

specizripn

Established Member
Edit, I just checked and I did in fact order the right one. I’m also replacing the water pump and radiator plumbing while I have the car apart.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
I have these both off currently, for future people searching:

Blower tensioner 1L3V-AB (has ribbed pulley)

Engine tensioner 1L2E-CB (has idler)

Users who are viewing this thread