Are we closer to a Theory of Everything?

TJSwoboda

Established Member
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/stephen-hawking-working-new-theory-everything

One thing I'm curious about is whether this supports the idea that the total, unbounded but finite universe should be about 2x10^23 times the size of the observable universe. It seems a little vague, but the main point of Hawking's Facebook post seems to be possible confirmation of primordial gravitational waves. In any case, if we can finally tie gravity into quantum field theory... Well, what next?

TJSwoboda

Established Member
We're going to disneyland.
When we figure out how to get to other solar systems in a reasonable amount of time, consistent with relativity and the as yet undiscovered laws of quantum gravity, and then actually travel there, then we're going to Disneyland. Right now we're still inventing the wheel to put on the wagon that will be powered by the engine we'll eventually invent to take us to Disneyland.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Can we make the wheel 30" and make the wagon look like a Caprice or Crown Vic?

Even if we had a viable option or idea on how with regards to propulsion, the public would be years behind in knowing. Abandoning the space program in the public's eyes would be a good cover. Although I truly believe we have no idea that it remotely viable.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
When we figure out how to get to other solar systems in a reasonable amount of time, consistent with relativity and the as yet undiscovered laws of quantum gravity, and then actually travel there, then we're going to Disneyland. Right now we're still inventing the wheel to put on the wagon that will be powered by the engine we'll eventually invent to take us to Disneyland.

We are generations from this happenning. I would bet the human race destroys or almost destroys itself because " my god is better than your god" before we come together to explore the universe.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
This would come up when I've been stoned out of my head the last three days on cough syrup.

oldmodman: your Theory Of Everything is basically sound; you just need a way to tie it to some hot lesbians and I'm pretty sure you would have the Nobel prize in the bag.

94blacksnake

Established Member

One thing I'm curious about is whether this supports the idea that the total, unbounded but finite universe should be about 2x10^23 times the size of the observable universe. It seems a little vague, but the main point of Hawking's Facebook post seems to be possible confirmation of primordial gravitational waves. In any case, if we can finally tie gravity into quantum field theory... Well, what next?
Whatchu talking about Willis?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-...Z_9k&x-yt-cl=84503534&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:

hb712

Established Member

High school chem screwed me up since all I can think of is a parody of the mole song, "the universe is a number, have you heard, 2 times 10 to the 23rd. That's a 2 with 23 zeros at the end, much too big a number to comprehend."

That being said, I'll be interested to see what comes of this.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Oh no...you did not just go there did you? Yep...you just went there.

This has just turned into another one of "those" threads.

Last edited:

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
bro, we all evolved from bacteria that grew in a hot spring or ocean vent. everybody knows that.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I assumed he meant other than the obligatory religious options. I threw out an alternative.

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
science bro. lightning struck and bam....bacteria. then the bacteria was like....hey, lets evolve. Ill be a lizard bro, you be a bro, bro. Then another bacteria said, ill be a donkey bro.

Users who are viewing this thread