Are you willing to pay over MSRP?

How badly do you want the GT500 once released?

• I'm willing to pay a premium over MSRP to get it "NOW"

Votes: 23 4.4%
  • I want it "NOW", but only at MSRP (or close to it)

Votes: 182 35.2%
  • I want it, but I'm going to wait a year or two for things to calm down

Votes: 236 45.6%
  • I don't care, because I don't want it at all...

Votes: 77 14.9%

• Total voters

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
yea so am i. in zona right now. moved here last oct, purchased a home maricopa 12 miles south of chandler. was looking in gilbert but the homes last year started at 250 for 1600sq so i purchased a 1900sq ryland home in maricopa for 200.

do you play golf? i work at the whirlwind golf club(troon golf) in chandler at wildhorse pass. let me know if you want to play. actually met bob bondurant thier as well, his driving school is right next door. :burnout: :pepper:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
AbusiveWombat said:
Robert M said:
I'm sorry but it's a loss when you sell a car for the same price as you purchased it. There are a few costs that you're leaving out: cost of storage, cost of insurance, the lost interest on the capital, and I'm sure there's probably others that I'm leaving out.

In short, cars are terrible investments. Anyone thinking that the GT500 will be a good investment needs to have their head examined. Modern cars are not good investments. Even the original 1967 GT500 has a lower rate of return than a simple money market fund.

Buy the car as a toy and enjoy it but don't fool yourself into thinking that you'll somehow end up making money in the long term.

I do not disagree with any of you. The ways that have been listed will most likely bring the best returns. I do have the 401K, the IRA's a home investment and they are good investments. I have chosen to use my garage as an investment also. Instead of storing the SUV, mini-van or regular production car that dives in price, day by day, week by week, I have chosen to store cars that I can, even right now (3 out of 4) sell for more than I paid for them just 2 to 3 years ago. Some of my stock funds in my 401K can not boast that.

R

Last edited:

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
Robert M said:
IEatGt's said:
I know a person (not a friend, but an acquaintance) who swore he was going to buy a Ford GT from a local dealer for MSRP. This person is 50ish years old and he and his family have done business with this Ford dealer exclusively for over 40 years. They even play golf together. As the time got closer for the GT to arrive at the dealership, the hype began to build. This person assumed he had the "inside deal" as other customers were putting bids in for the GT that was to arrive in 3-4 months, it began to be a bidding war, dealers from neighboring counties and eventualy states jumped in on the bidding. The dealer sales manager recieved a memo from the dealership owner that the car would be auctioned to the highest bidder. Bidding was now at $300K. Football players, local business men etc. were in on the bidding. The dealer held the car too long, and the market began to colapse, the car finally sold for just under $200K, still $5K+ over MSRP. Once it is realized that much money can be made on a specific vehicle, in most cases the wink-wink, nudge-nudge inside friendships quickly change. The new Shelby will have this hype also, it has already started. The difference being that there are many, many more people who can afford a Shelby at $40K+.

The second portion of your comment "hoping these guys get them for sticker price", my hope is that they will not assume that the car will be an investment. It will eventually, but that will be a few years. Most will have moved on to something else before that time. There is no magic, they are late model cars, a Mustang in this case. Once the hype is gone, the price/value quickly falls below what was paid for the car if it was in the MSRP range especially. Then it is time that is the factor before the car recovers and gains value. The only difference is that the "speciallty and limited production cars" will recover in a shorter period of time, in most cases.
There is one way to buy a new late model specialty car and keep its value "somewhat" near the price you paid, store it correctly and don't drive it at all, but few people can resist driving their car. <--Even kept in "as-new, no miles" condition, the car will still fall in price before it recovers.

R

I've posted this before!
About 3 weeks ago a Ford GT sold for 5k UNDER sticker here in Cincinnati. I'm getting a GT 500 on A plan! I don't care if you believe me or not! I've had a 01 and a 03 Cobra all first runs bought on A-plan. Fords going to make over 34K GT 500's over the next 3 to 5 years depending on sales could be more. :bash:

Tim

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
LR 01 Cobra said:
Robert M said:
I've posted this before!
About 3 weeks ago a Ford GT sold for 5k UNDER sticker here in Cincinnati. I'm getting a GT 500 on A plan! I don't care if you believe me or not! I've had a 01 and a 03 Cobra all first runs bought on A-plan. Fords going to make over 34K GT 500's over the next 3 to 5 years depending on sales could be more. :bash:

Tim

And as the hype goes down on these cars, these kind of prices will be more common.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
mrGT said:
I don't really want to pay over MSRP, but if I get up next to it, I fear they will have me!

Hold your breath, if you don't smell it, you won't "have" to taste it. Tasting it, is when they have you!

R

Last edited:

BurnTire

Established Member
Every new mustang (4 total) I bought has been at invoice except my 99 Cobra was at sticker which I will never do again.
I wait until the end of the model year and towards the end of the month.
Just about every dealer in town was selling cobras at invoice in late 04.

mrGT said:
BurnTire,

Just where are you finding a dealer that will do that?

mrGT

Established Member
BurnTire,

With the economic times that Ford is going thru, I would hope that they have learned a very valuable lesson. If they have, they won't produce these things just to sit on a lot to sell at a loss. If they still have Shelby's on the lot for any length of time they have lost a lot of interest. Ford and GM both have stated that they will be phasing out incentives for their bread and butter lines. Lay offs and plant closures are going to be taking their toll in the coming years. These Shelbys are low production run critters and Ford can't afford to support the line if they move at a loss.....and at or near invoice is getting pretty close to digging into their profits.

But I understand your rationale and I hope it works out for all that need to take that route.

Last edited:

rocknrod

Car Builder
Established Member
mrGT said:
BurnTire,
With the economic times that Ford is going thru, I would hope that they have learned a very valuable lesson...........Ford and GM both have stated that they will be phasing out incentives for their bread and butter lines. Lay offs and plant closures are going to be taking their toll in the coming years. These Shelbys are low production run critters and Ford can't afford to support the line if they move at a loss.....and at or near invoice is getting pretty close to digging into their profits.
Hence the need for dealers to ask too much for these cars and keep people from buying them and keep people away from the stealerships (for other cars). I mean hey if that happens Ford might sell more cars. God knows thats not in support of the AFL/CIO, Ford Motor Corp. the American Worker or the American Consumer.

Thank God for Ricers huh? (I Obvously Love Dealers) and do not tolerate excuses for them.

Last edited:

BurnTire

Established Member
If the dealers charge a 10 to 20K premium these cars they are going to be sitting for a while.

mrGT said:
BurnTire,

With the economic times that Ford is going thru, I would hope that they have learned a very valuable lesson. If they have, they won't produce these things just to sit on a lot to sell at a loss. If they still have Shelby's on the lot for any length of time they have lost a lot of interest. Ford and GM both have stated that they will be phasing out incentives for their bread and butter lines. Lay offs and plant closures are going to be taking their toll in the coming years. These Shelbys are low production run critters and Ford can't afford to support the line if they move at a loss.....and at or near invoice is getting pretty close to digging into their profits.

But I understand your rationale and I hope it works out for all that need to take that route.

mrGT

Established Member
BurnTire,

You missed my point...or I wasn't very good at making it. I never said or meant to suggest that, IMO, the dealers will ONLY SELL at MSRP Plus. The MSRP Plus will be short lived and those that pay above MSRP will be people that can afford to do so. The dealers are just taking advantage of the fact that those with the money are willing to pay above MSRP to get one NOW....and they will continue to do so for as long as they can sell it that way. I was simply trying to say that Ford shouldn't be over producing the car just so they could sell it at or below invoice.....assuming they had the invoice price set correctly from the beginning. I just can't believe that we will see thousands of Shelbys sitting on the lots across this land.....like the Terminators....with "Below Invoice" signs. That's a dangerous way to do business.

It is a well known fact that when demand exceeds supply (like the XBox last Christmas), a bidding war could take place to see who wants the item the worst.

As long as Ford and their dealers can make a decent profit on the car, they will produce them....and if that's at or below invoice, they will do so. My theory rests on the fact that I believe that Ford has priced the car's invoice for the market so as to make a "fair" profit. The area between "invoice" and "MSRP" (and above) is where the dealer makes profit. I have found some dealers that are satisfied with the profit at MSRP on this Shelby from the get go....these dealers have long lines of customers waiting to pay MSRP to buy one when their name comes up. These dealers will probably not be selling too many at or below invoice for some time and they won't have any sitting on their lots.

I also believe that if you buy one, you'll be one that waits until you can get it at invoice, just like you have all your other acquisitions.

Time will tell whether my theory is right or not.....and that's all it is, MY theory.

Have a great day!

BurnTire

Established Member
mrGT said:
BurnTire,

I also believe that if you buy one, you'll be one that waits until you can get it at invoice, just like you have all your other acquisitions.

Have a great day!

That will never happen. I am keeping the 04 for a long time.

Have a good one.

msstang

I want it "NOW" (Well, I wanted it yesterday :rolling: ), but not willing to go over MSRP!
oops, missed the part about do not reply to this post.
My bad!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread